PDA

View Full Version : Pro Browl Game Used Jerseys

Dalkiel
01-08-2009, 06:31 PM
This is my first post here. I was directed to the forum from another site.

A few years ago a local auction house bought the abandoned storage unit of Chris Warren. It had a lot of cool stuff in it of which I purchased 2 nicely framed Pro Bowl jerseys. I'm not sure what the NFL protocol was for the jerseys the athletes used in the 1990's, so I'm curious if these are game used. Any ideas? Here's a pic of one.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/Dalkiel23/f742759f.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

David

Jags Fan Dan
01-09-2009, 08:31 AM
If they came from his storage unit, I would guess these may be used. Have you taken them out and checked to see if there are any discernable signs of use? I know in the Pro Bowl it isn't like anybod ywas getting mud or blood around, but maybe they show a slight scuff or stain here or there.

Dalkiel
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
If they came from his storage unit, I would guess these may be used. Have you taken them out and checked to see if there are any discernable signs of use? I know in the Pro Bowl it isn't like anybod ywas getting mud or blood around, but maybe they show a slight scuff or stain here or there.

Thanks for your reply. I actually did look at them to see if there was any evident use. There are some small tiny spots here and there, but for being a layman on game use, these areas weren't profound enough for me to make that assumption. I haven't taken them out of their cases because I believe they are sewn on.

Jags Fan Dan
01-09-2009, 11:15 AM
My off the cuff guess is that it is game used or at least game issued. I don't think these jersey's were mass produced at all for retail sale and there weren't knock-offs being circulated back then. If it were mine, I would get it out of the case and give it a full once over. See what the tagging looks like, see if the numbers and patches all line up with photos you might find.

scottanservitz
01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
I agree with Jags, I doubt back in the early to mid 90's that the Pro Bowl jerseys were mass produced like today. I tend to think if they are from Warren's storage unit then they are atleast issued. Are they from the same year? Chris Warren made the pro bowl three years so I don't know why there wouldn't be three. But it is funny, I just bought a '99 Cowboy gamer last week.....weird. Anyways, cool jerseys you need to remove to see exactly what you have, (tagging, wear etc). Let us know.

Scott

scottanservitz
01-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Sorry, I saw where YOU bought 2 jerseys.....my bad. Need to pay attention.

Dalkiel
01-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah I bought 2 jerseys. They are both Pro Bowl jerseys. I don't have them in front of me, but I believe they are from 1995 & 1996. There were a few other jerseys I didn't buy. I only have so much room at my place for Chris Warren stuff. There was his High School letterman jacket, and I believe one of the other ones was some sort of college jersey and the third may have been his 3rd Pro Bowl jersey. All were framed. There was other stuff too, but like I say it was Chris Warren, not Walter Payton.

It's funny, on the other jersey that isn't pictured there's a plaque that says something about him breaking the record for most rush yards in a Pro Bowl. I Googled it, and sure enough he did break the rush record, but what he fails to mention on his plaque is that Marshall Faulk rushed for even more yards in the exact same game.... lol.

scottanservitz
01-09-2009, 09:35 PM
David,
Very cool stuff. I will say that getting Pro Bowl jerseys pretty much directly from the player is pretty hard to do! I agree that Chris was no Payton, but he was a pretty good back for about 3 or 4 years in the league. True NFL gamers are pretty hard to get compared to the other sports and getting an above average player is a bonus. My advice is to keep any records or documentation as to how you got them. If you ever sell them in the future it will surely add to the value. Thanks for sharing and if you ever take them out, be sure to show us some pics!

Scott

Dalkiel
01-09-2009, 09:56 PM
I definitely wouldn't mind pulling them out of their cases, but they are sewn onto the backing and I'm afraid I might damage them. Any ideas?

Any guesses on the values whether they are actually game used or even if they aren't? I bought them with the intention of sending them to an auction house, but I'm not sure they are valuable enough to warrant a spot. Besides, shipping would be an absolute killer I would imagine.

Thanks for your replies.

David

scottanservitz
01-09-2009, 11:56 PM
David,
I am by no means an expert at removing jerseys from frames. But I would advise getting them out if you indeed are going to consign them. The shipping alone would kill many bids from buyers wanting the jersey. If you were to take them out, my guess is they are tack stitched on various parts of the jersey. You can carefully cut the stitches on the back of the boards they are attached to. Cut as many as you can and carefully remove them, (somewhat like getting stitches out at the doctors) as carefully as you can. I don't think it would ruin the jersey as long as you don't get too rough with it. I would also make sure there is no fading from any light, although this shouldn't be a problem if they were in a dark storage unit. As far as price goes, I bought mine for $140 off eBay. I would venture yours, if legit would command a bit more due to provenance and rarity. Although I don't know what premium Pro Bowl jerseys have. At any rate, good luck and I hope it goes well with you with what you decide to do.
Scott

woody1351
01-10-2009, 10:33 AM
david can you email me at woody1351@hotmail.com thanks