PDA

View Full Version : Getting a game used football signed

Jules9
01-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Hello,

I'm new to posting on gameuseduniverse but have been "lurking" for quite some time and am amazed at the information you guys know. I don't really collect baseball and have a few football items but collect mostly hockey, so I really don't know the unwritten rules (never ever ever ever get a hockey gamer signed on the outside ) to collecting football items. So I have a question.

I have a couple game used footballs and I can't decide whether or not to get them autographed from a player that played in the game. For one, I don't know if I want to keep it just like it was in the game or if I would like it better with an auto on it. If I had it signed would I be shunned from society?:D I like the idea of getting game used baseballs signed but don't know if it would be the same on the football. So if I could get opinions on getting the football signed that would be great.

Jags Fan Dan
01-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Hello,

I'm new to posting on gameuseduniverse but have been "lurking" for quite some time and am amazed at the information you guys know. I don't really collect baseball and have a few football items but collect mostly hockey, so I really don't know the unwritten rules (never ever ever ever get a hockey gamer signed on the outside ) to collecting football items. So I have a question.

I have a couple game used footballs and I can't decide whether or not to get them autographed from a player that played in the game. For one, I don't know if I want to keep it just like it was in the game or if I would like it better with an auto on it. If I had it signed would I be shunned from society?:D I like the idea of getting game used baseballs signed but don't know if it would be the same on the football. So if I could get opinions on getting the football signed that would be great.
Well, here is my opinion on what you should consider before you have one of your game used footballs signed:

Is this something you will keep forever? If so, and you would like it signed, by all means get it signed. As long as the person signing it was a significant player to you, I think it might enhance your enjoyment of the collectible.

If you are unsure as to how long you want to keep it in your collection, I would advise against having it signed, unless it is going to be signed by a superstar player. If you have anything less than a superstar sign it, I think it may severely limit your potential market for resale at a later date. Try to think of what you would be willing to sell to obtain another, more significant piece to your collection. If the ball comes to mind early on in that thought process, you will want to think long and hard about whether to have it signed.

To answer the bigger question, it is my opinion that it would not be "sacreligious" or a taboo or a reason to be shunned to have a player sign a game used football.

indyred
01-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Did anyone have a milestone or really big game, in the games the balls were used in? I love seeing those game used MLB authenticated baseballs signed where the player specifies a certain win #, home run # ect or milestone from that game the ball was used in. I haven't seen many game used NFL footballs signed. I think it would look cool if player signs it and if possible adds an inscription about the game on it for you. I'd use silver paint pen on it if i did get one signed.

Jules9
01-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I would like to think I would keep them forever, since they are both Eagles footballs and I'm an Eagles fan, but you never know what's going to happen in the future that may cause me to sell them.

One is from the last regular season game at Veterans Stadium and I would only want to get Dawkins, Westbrook or Mcnabb on it.

They other is from the 75th anniversary game from 2007, when they wore their throwback uniforms. The ball has the 75th anniv. logo on the ball. If I had it signed it would be Mcnabb (381 passing yds. 4 TD's) or Westbrook (110 rush yds, 111 receiving yds 3 TD's)

I also may have my decision made easier because I never see a Mcnabb autograph appearance, just at the Eagles carnival, and the last Westbrook appearance I saw was probably 3-4 years ago. Dawkins pops up every once in a while so he may be the easiest.