PDA

View Full Version : Players damaging their items....

grenda12
01-06-2009, 01:04 AM
I have gotten several game used items from Doug (worker from the Cell) and everything Ive gotten has been damage. I know its not Doug. He has gotten me some pretty good items.

I had AJ Pierzynski's chest protector and AJ cut the top lining off that had his initials on it. I also had his leg guards where they were damaged. The ankle protectors were cut, the 12 was scratched off, and the knee area was cut off from the leg guard.

Why do players do this to their old equipment? It is about money?

zookerman182
01-06-2009, 01:52 AM
it doesnt surprise me that AJ does this stuff. He is the scum of baseball. I dont think i dislike anymore in any professional or college sport more than i dislike AJ. He needs to take his bleeched blonde spikes and his cry baby attitude and get out of baseball before he poisons it even more with his bush league tricks.

The sad part of it is, he has decent numbers. So unfortunately he will be around for a while longer. Then when he quits he can have a spot on the jim rome show 4 times a week because Jim loves the guy.

ok thats the end of my rant, sorry for that.

And yes players do this stuff just to makre sure its tough for someone to later make a buck off thier stuff. Thats why Prince Fielder destroyed alot of his 2 tone LVS bats when he finished using them.

grenda12
01-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Well thanks for bashing my favorite player! No hard feelings. AJ is very hated, I know that. That has me like him even more.

Not everyone wants to make a buck off their items.

Would you keep something that was damaged from the player where it had things missing off the item?

mattsr
01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Thats why Prince Fielder destroyed alot of his 2 tone LVS bats when he finished using them.

just wondering why woulf prince do that? for what reason. and i have a 2 tone lvs bat so does it make it worth more or "better" because he destroyed them.

zookerman182
01-06-2009, 08:22 PM
just wondering why woulf prince do that? for what reason. and i have a 2 tone lvs bat so does it make it worth more or "better" because he destroyed them.

I dont think it makes the bat worth more or even better. Its just a fun fact to know about those particular Prince bats. I used to own one myself that was uncracked. He is very cautious about people making money from his game used stuff.

brian26
01-17-2009, 10:17 PM
I have gotten several game used items from Doug (worker from the Cell) and everything Ive gotten has been damage. I know its not Doug. He has gotten me some pretty good items.

I had AJ Pierzynski's chest protector and AJ cut the top lining off that had his initials on it. I also had his leg guards where they were damaged. The ankle protectors were cut, the 12 was scratched off, and the knee area was cut off from the leg guard.

Why do players do this to their old equipment? It is about money?

Probably to prevent people like you from coming here and selling the stuff. You're getting free game used stuff from someone at the Cell (dumb move to give the guy's name out too), so why are you complaining?

frikativ54
01-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Probably to prevent people like you from coming here and selling the stuff. You're getting free game used stuff from someone at the Cell (dumb move to give the guy's name out too), so why are you complaining?

When did she (I'm assuming by your userid you're female) ever say she got the stuff for free? And who's to assume that her goal was to make a quick buck?

grenda12
01-17-2009, 10:52 PM

1.) NOT FREE! I paid for it.
2.) Im not trying make anymore money off the item then what I bought it for. 3.) For the posts Ive read, people wonder who your getting the things from or who the "bat boy" is, I gave his first name - not dumb!
4.) Wasnt complaining was just asking a question.

grenda12
01-17-2009, 10:53 PM
When did she (I'm assuming by your userid you're female) ever say she got the stuff for free? And who's to assume that her goal was to make a quick buck?

Thanks!

brian26
01-18-2009, 09:13 AM

Every indication from this original post is that "Doug", who works for the Sox in some capacity, is "getting" things for Grenda for free behind the scenes. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted the wording.

I know the Sox have semi-annual garage sales in January and May where they sell game used merchadise (in which the proceeds go to charity), so if Grenda is getting something behind the scenes, its not in an official capacity (whereas it is available to the general public for a price). If she is indeed paying Doug, then the money is going into Doug's pocket without the knowledge of the White Sox (not cool).

The way she wrote it (he's "getting" things for her) was in a way to imply she wasn't purchasing it. If she's not purchasing it, shame on both of them. If she is purchasing it, shame on Doug for cheating the Sox out of money that goes to White Sox charities.

Beyond all of that, if AJ really is her favorite player, why is she so worried if his number is scratched off the pads as long as she knows its from him. Maybe Grenda wouldn't sell the stuff, but there are enough greedy sports collectors out there that would sell them in a second (especially when Sox workers are swiping the stuff behind the scenes to distribute to other people and make a buck off of (as Doug is)).

I happen to know how things work there because I've spoken with Christine Makowski and Dale Walkington about various items at the Garage Sales. It's a very tightly run operation and catcher's equipment just doesn't disappear behind the scenes.

B1SON
01-18-2009, 11:53 PM
I don't post very often, as I don't collect baseball. BUT, I enjoy reading all threads. I think it is sad when someone asks a question like why a player ruins their equpiment after they are don using it and somehow the thread completely derails with one or two people negatively judging, accusing and getting hostile. It's not fair to derail the original focus of the thread with no proof of any wrong doing. Thats my opnion, take it for what it is worth. The threads I enjoy the most are the open ended discussion threads that develop into great positive discussion about the hobby. Just my two cents. :D

frikativ54
01-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Every indication from this original post is that "Doug", who works for the Sox in some capacity, is "getting" things for Grenda for free behind the scenes. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted the wording.

Wow - you just seem to be fishing for something to start a fight about.

I know the Sox have semi-annual garage sales in January and May where they sell game used merchadise (in which the proceeds go to charity), so if Grenda is getting something behind the scenes, its not in an official capacity (whereas it is available to the general public for a price). If she is indeed paying Doug, then the money is going into Doug's pocket without the knowledge of the White Sox (not cool).

Everybody does it. Why pick on Grenda over anybody else?

The way she wrote it (he's "getting" things for her) was in a way to imply she wasn't purchasing it. If she's not purchasing it, shame on both of them. If she is purchasing it, shame on Doug for cheating the Sox out of money that goes to White Sox charities.

How do you know that this stuff isn't being given to the "Doug" in question? Is there any proof that the stuff would have otherwise been going to charities?

Beyond all of that, if AJ really is her favorite player, why is she so worried if his number is scratched off the pads as long as she knows its from him. Maybe Grenda wouldn't sell the stuff, but there are enough greedy sports collectors out there that would sell them in a second (especially when Sox workers are swiping the stuff behind the scenes to distribute to other people and make a buck off of (as Doug is)).

Again, you're judging her. What does it matter to you? Are you jealpous of her sources?

I happen to know how things work there because I've spoken with Christine Makowski and Dale Walkington about various items at the Garage Sales. It's a very tightly run operation and catcher's equipment just doesn't disappear behind the scenes.

Are you calling Grenda a liar? Are you saying the stuff isn't from AJ?

I have absolutely no stake in this conversation, but in this neutral observer's opinion, you are sure laying it into someone who has good intentions. I can't understand why you are bashing her.

I almost wonder if there's a double standard with female collectors. If a guy's got a back-door deal, he's a shrewd business man. If a woman has good connections, she's mooching.

1986&2004Bosox
01-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Brian26 dont for 1 second think that bat boys, clubbies, hangers on etc dont sell stuff or for that matter the players. The fact that we as fans applaud the fact that teams have garage sales and donate the money to charity is laughable. I mean think about it major league teams are multi million dollar if not billion dollar businesses and they sell jerseys to fans and donate 50,000 or 100,000 to a charity. We as fans & collectors have caused this inflated market place AKA Steiner, Upper Deck, Mounted Memories. We pay hundreds/thousands of dollars for bats, jerseys, helmets etc. Why? Because we like the stuff. But think about it most of us on this board are not millionaires and we are collecting millionaires items. Hell every night should be shirts off your back night. Think about it team can get shirts for what 50 bucks or less? So give every fan a chance at a jersey every night hell give what to give 35 or so shirts away a game cost the team maybe $2000.00 maybe $ 150,000.00 a year and you have 3000 happy happy fans. Instead they sell the shirts to Steiner and charge $ 12,500.00 for a Dice K? Are we all nuts? So yeah we should be grudge that clubbie who is working 12 hours a day from making some money on the side, how the heck do you think this hobby/business existed before these BIG BUSINESS came into play in 1989 with Upper Deck.

Sorry if you think that was harsh but the teams could donate what the yard sales take in and give the items away but $$$$ and greed prevents them from doing so.

frikativ54
01-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Brian26 dont for 1 second think that bat boys, clubbies, hangers on etc dont sell stuff or for that matter the players. The fact that we as fans applaud the fact that teams have garage sales and donate the money to charity is laughable. I mean think about it major league teams are multi million dollar if not billion dollar businesses and they sell jerseys to fans and donate 50,000 or 100,000 to a charity. We as fans & collectors have caused this inflated market place AKA Steiner, Upper Deck, Mounted Memories. We pay hundreds/thousands of dollars for bats, jerseys, helmets etc. Why? Because we like the stuff. But think about it most of us on this board are not millionaires and we are collecting millionaires items. Hell every night should be shirts off your back night. Think about it team can get shirts for what 50 bucks or less? So give every fan a chance at a jersey every night hell give what to give 35 or so shirts away a game cost the team maybe $2000.00 maybe $ 150,000.00 a year and you have 3000 happy happy fans. Instead they sell the shirts to Steiner and charge $ 12,500.00 for a Dice K? Are we all nuts? So yeah we should be grudge that clubbie who is working 12 hours a day from making some money on the side, how the heck do you think this hobby/business existed before these BIG BUSINESS came into play in 1989 with Upper Deck.

Sorry if you think that was harsh but the teams could donate what the yard sales take in and give the items away but $$$$ and greed prevents them from doing so.

If every day became "shirts off our backs" day then I wouldn't have to hold my breath before someone came on here saying that the clubs were tainting game used collecting. Amusing, isn't it.

spartakid
01-19-2009, 12:25 AM
I must say that I agree with Bosox, it's our fault that prices have gone up so far. If is weren't for people taking things from the clubhouse to sort of balance out the market, It'd be even higher. I'm still convinced that there's some scamming of some sort with steiner. If you go on ebay, people are selling bats from steiner that cost over $1000 on their website for under $200. I know these sellers aren't losing $800 on every sale. Anyway, I see the people in teh clubhouse as sort of Robin Hood figures, and making a little money for themselves. It's a win win, we get the game used stuff, and they get some money(far less than we'd pay otherwise.) Ricardo

frikativ54
01-19-2009, 12:28 AM
I must say that I agree with Bosox, it's our fault that prices have gone up so far. If is weren't for people taking things from the clubhouse to sort of balance out the market, It'd be even higher. I'm still convinced that there's some scamming of some sort with steiner. If you go on ebay, people are selling bats from steiner that cost over $1000 on their website for under $200. I know these sellers aren't losing $800 on every sale. Anyway, I see the people in teh clubhouse as sort of Robin Hood figures, and making a little money for themselves. It's a win win, we get the game used stuff, and they get some money(far less than we'd pay otherwise.) Ricardo

The problem is when the clubhouse sources only sell to one guy, and then that person in turn becomes his own Steiner. Then, you'd rather Steiner got the stuff, because that least then you'd have more proof that it was genuine.

1986&2004Bosox
01-19-2009, 12:39 AM
What I love is the fact that we are putting our trust into a company that puts a sticker on an item. How is Steiner any better than a clubbie? Steiner does not have someone sit there every game and make sure the stuff is used. just ask them they take the word of the team. How can Steiner say player X shirt from the 1980ties Yankees was worn because the Yankees told them it was. Bottom line is Steiner just puts on a sticker. Mei Grey's system is the best and even that is not fool proof. They put an inventory tag on a jersey. Do they watch the players get dress and undressed? If Kobe said screw this I want to keep my jersey you think the NBA, Lakers are going to say no Kobe you have to give it to us to sell? You think that the player might change his shirt at the half? Bottom line is unless you can photo match an item or the item was handed to you directly from the player you really dont know what you are getting. But to be crazzy enough to get mad at someone for having a source is laughable. Hell if this hobby was still a hobby and we collectors didn't sell the stuff on ebay you think the players might give more of it out?

spartakid
01-19-2009, 01:23 AM
The problem is when the clubhouse sources only sell to one guy, and then that person in turn becomes his own Steiner. Then, you'd rather Steiner got the stuff, because that least then you'd have more proof that it was genuine.

Well I don't think that's happen because there's no way some average Joe could or would charge as much as steiner. Basically, becuase they don't have as much provenance as goes along with a respected and large name such as steiner.

frikativ54
01-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Well I don't think that's happen because there's no way some average Joe could or would charge as much as steiner. Basically, becuase they don't have as much provenance as goes along with a respected and large name such as steiner.

You'd be surprised what some dealers with inside connections can do. I agree that they don't have as much provenance, but I'm saying, it still happens.

spartakid
01-19-2009, 01:28 AM
What I love is the fact that we are putting our trust into a company that puts a sticker on an item. How is Steiner any better than a clubbie? Steiner does not have someone sit there every game and make sure the stuff is used. just ask them they take the word of the team. How can Steiner say player X shirt from the 1980ties Yankees was worn because the Yankees told them it was. Bottom line is Steiner just puts on a sticker. Mei Grey's system is the best and even that is not fool proof. They put an inventory tag on a jersey. Do they watch the players get dress and undressed? If Kobe said screw this I want to keep my jersey you think the NBA, Lakers are going to say no Kobe you have to give it to us to sell? You think that the player might change his shirt at the half? Bottom line is unless you can photo match an item or the item was handed to you directly from the player you really dont know what you are getting. But to be crazzy enough to get mad at someone for having a source is laughable. Hell if this hobby was still a hobby and we collectors didn't sell the stuff on ebay you think the players might give more of it out?

I know that it's probably jealousy with the whole clubhouse source thing. I know that if I had the option to get stuff from someone like that, I'd sure do it and so would just about everone else. As far a steiner, I know that I trust the name. i've been able to photomatch some bats i've gotten from them. Second, if you were to ever find that they were misrepresenting ANYTHING, you could sue them for such an astranomical amount of money that is wouldn't even be funny. At worst you could get back the money for all the items you'd ever bought from them. This would be a headache of course but you get the point, it's all about the NAMEBRAND!! Ricardo

1986&2004Bosox
01-19-2009, 01:38 AM
There HAVE been Numerous Numerous questionable Steiner items. Case in point 2007 Red Sox Jerseys. Steiner Paperwork says the shirts are game worn MLB holograms say game issued? Steiner says that unless MLB sees them being worn they can't label them that way. I say ok so what happened? They tell me MLB went into the locker room grabbed a pile of shirts and stickered them but don't have prrof that they were worn so the were labeled game issued. I say how can you say they are worn they say because the Sox told us so. So their paperwork says game worn & MLB says issued. I asked if MLB database can be fixed they say no. Can you say misrepresentation?

spartakid
01-19-2009, 01:40 AM
I can and can you say LAWSUIT??? :D

1986&2004Bosox
01-19-2009, 01:46 AM
Hundreds of items like that if not thousands. All i am saying is their sticker is no better than your clubbie. Both are sources plain and simple and in all honesty I'd rather give a clubbie a few hundred than pay Steiner a few thousand for the same damn thing.

spartakid
01-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Good point, I would rather give my money to someone that actually needs it, must just be that false sense of security

1986&2004Bosox
01-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Like I said unless you can photo match an item, just because a jersey is tagged the right way don't mean a damn thing. Even Mears all you are paying for is their opinion and what is that? It is them looking at photos and matching stuff up, we have all bought in to the theory that a Mears LOA or a Steiner Hologram is gold when the truth is all Steiner is is a sticker and all mears is a bunch of guys doing the same thing we could do with books and photos if we put in the same time and effort.

spartakid
01-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Good point, just curious, do you own any steiner or otherwise authneticated game used?

1986&2004Bosox
01-19-2009, 11:53 AM
No I dont own any steiner stuff. Some MLB and some Mei Grey but only because the items were certified in front of me on the MLB and the Mei Grey was a shirt of their backs nite for the Bruins.