PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who Has The Worst Looking Signature

jetersbatboy
01-02-2009, 08:24 PM
I was looking threw some of my game used signed stuff and I came across a game used signed hat from Yankees out fielder Bret Gardner....I could not help but think man this guy has a ugly auto. So it got me thinking, who has the worst looking signature?

This not the hat I have. I was to lazy to take a picture of mine, so I stole one from the site I bought it from.:eek:

yanks12025
01-02-2009, 08:29 PM
It's just a B and G.

AWA85
01-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Craig Italiano, big time Oakland prospect. Just one from my personal collection that I remember.

jetersbatboy
01-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Ryan Brauns sig. is kind of bad.

Has A signature bin so ugly that it stop anyone from buying a players signed game used stuff?

AWA85
01-02-2009, 08:53 PM
How could I forget Maddux.

sylbry
01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Carlos Gomez

Tedw9
01-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Personally, I think this is hands down the WORST excuse for a signature I have ever seen.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/Tedw9/7f32_1.jpg

frikativ54
01-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Ryan Brauns sig. is kind of bad.

Has A signature bin so ugly that it stop anyone from buying a players signed game used stuff?

Hunter Pence has one ugly signature. Good think I sold my only g/u item...not worth my money.

jetersbatboy
01-02-2009, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=Tedw9;114654]Personally, I think this is hands down the WORST excuse for a signature I have ever seen.

Thats pretty BAD!!

Vintagedeputy
01-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Lastings Milledge, hands down

AWA85
01-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Tedw9 - You win, that is terrible.

murfsteve25
01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm not a big fan of Votto's sig

joelsabi
01-03-2009, 11:42 AM
what makes a bad signature?

incomplete or abbreviated name? Initials? being unreadable? inability to pass third party authenticity? ease of being forged?

AWA85
01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
To me I would say just the use of a few initials leads to a bad signature along with just sloppy writing (Votto for example) are the two things that stand out to me as a bad signature.

I like having my bats signed and am not worried about how the signature looks as long as it is bold and smooth on the bat or item.

princip
01-03-2009, 01:20 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm.........that Votto sig. is pretty slick in my book. Sinuous, curvvy, bold, artisic script. Also, not easy to forge.

On the other hand, that Morrency - Texans sig. is bad and he should be embarrassed, or, maybe he's just the victim of his overly inflated ego. What, is that his symbol or some shit?

jkalathas
01-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Alex Rodriguez could win an award for both the worst signature in the hobby as well as the best. His signature is a mystery, one time you get A and R scribbled so poorly you wish you would have passed on getting your item signed, and then he signs one of the nicest looking signatures you have ever seen, so perfect you can read every single letter in his name.

Mariano Rivera hands down has the nicest most consistent signature in the hobby in my opinion...

-JK

tbone90
01-03-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm with AWA85, Greg Maddux is the absolute worst. But at least he's been consistently bad throughout the years. I couldn't take it and finally got rid of my autographed Maddux baseballs.

jppopma
01-03-2009, 03:42 PM
I agree with princip that some of the best ones are very artistic, but you can barely make out any letters. Plus they are not as easily forged, try to follow every loop and line some of the guys make.

You also have to remember that a players signature can vary greatly depending on how many he has done (the 1st guy in line will get a much better one that the 1000th hand cramped signature). Also there is the idea that players will often sign a fast careless signature for someone who is a major A-hole just to get them out of their face.

As for pretty signatures, I sure that some of the cards I have seen are done by the player's wives...no man should write that girlie pro player or not.

AWA85
01-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Jeff Keppinger.... says chicks dig the handwriting.

Vintagedeputy
01-03-2009, 06:09 PM
http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/f/73/f181773.001?$uslarge$

frikativ54
01-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Miguel Tejada's is pretty bad.

shafrancollectibles.com
01-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I go with Fernando Martinez - simply terrible.

http://www.shafrancollectibles.com/catalog/FernandoMart.jpg

metsbats
01-03-2009, 11:47 PM
This is a Dustin Pedroia autographed ball. The only thing recognizable is the inscription ROY 07.

This ball can pass for a Dice K signed in Japanese ball if we didn't know better!

shafrancollectibles.com
01-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Pedroia consistently makes the same error that many athletes do and it always irks me - that should read '07 not 07'

I owned Pedroia's 2007 World Series game used hat and he made that same mistake - at some point you would think someone would tell him the correct way to shorten the year

godwulf
01-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I like the player and the man, so it pains me to have to say it, but Danny Bautista's signature is just weird.

http://i24.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/d4/e2/4b3f_1.JPG

Funny thing is, if you give Danny a bigger surface to write on, like a batting helmet or an 8x10 photo, it gets even wilder, with more and larger swirls, squiggles, and odd lines going in all directions. This is a relatively tame example.

geoff
01-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Manny Ramirez has to win the Award.

sonic
01-04-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't mind if a player has bad handwriting, but it really bothers me when an ugly signature is the rest of laziness.

I have seen Breaston signed cards with his full name, but I guess he quickly realized that the card companies would still pay him if he simply initialed the cards instead.

bigtruck260
01-04-2009, 10:37 PM
For the kind of intellect that personifies Greg Maddux, you would think his autograph would be gorgeous...considering things like finesse and control defined his career.

Pound for pound, his is one of the ugliest ever...

Edgar Renteria is up there too.

frikativ54
01-05-2009, 03:49 AM
Pedroia consistently makes the same error that many athletes do and it always irks me - that should read '07 not 07'

I owned Pedroia's 2007 World Series game used hat and he made that same mistake - at some point you would think someone would tell him the correct way to shorten the year

I honestly don't think most people know the difference. I don't remember being taught, nor would I venture that any of my peers learned either. And I am a few weeks shy of 24.

frikativ54
01-05-2009, 04:26 AM
I don't mind if a player has bad handwriting, but it really bothers me when an ugly signature is the rest of laziness.

I have seen Breaston signed cards with his full name, but I guess he quickly realized that the card companies would still pay him if he simply initialed the cards instead.

You have to remember, talented athletes these days are coddled and become the next [insert superstar name] when they are about 16. This "success" leads them to think they are "all that" and don't even owe the fans a full autograph, or a young kid a smile in an autograph line at the local signing. Boy an experience with Hunter Pence is sure coming to mind...

frikativ54
01-05-2009, 04:34 AM

I know I already responded to this post, but upon further reflection, you're dreaming if you expect a young, coddled athlete to pay any attention to "correct usage". And given some of the educators of today, who believe that standardized writing is but a means of oppression, I doubt if players' orthography will reflect the grammatical norms of the last century. :(

mattmueller
04-05-2009, 05:35 PM
From a current ebay auction, Mariner prospect Carlos Triunfel would have to be up there (assuming somebody is not trying to auction their two year old kid's doodling). From sellers own words "Please take a look at the picture(s) of this great looking bat!" Also of note for any Triunfel fans, this autograph will pass any authentication process out there. Guaranteed.

http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/3f/8f/32df_1.JPG

godwulf
04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
From a current ebay auction, Mariner prospect Carlos Triunfel would have to be up there (assuming somebody is not trying to auction their two year old kid's doodling). From sellers own words "Please take a look at the picture(s) of this great looking bat!" Also of note for any Triunfel fans, this autograph will pass any authentication process out there. Guaranteed.

I had to laugh when I read this post. I looked at the photo first, and thought, that looks just like the sig I got on a ball last year during the Arizona Fall League. I run down foul balls and get them signed by the player who hit them. The player and signature I remembered, in this case?

Carlos Triunfel. :D

mattmueller
04-06-2009, 05:57 AM
I am honestly pretty close to speechless.

cordovacollector
04-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Carlos Gomez

Sylbry! You made me laff so hard! The first one that came to my mind was Carlos Gomez too!! So bad for one so young and so unproven.

To me a slop signature comes off as a form of arrogance. For the Twins, that is one thing Harmon Killebrew will talk to young players about during the winter caravan. He'll tell them fans cherish the autographs and to take a second or two longer and give them something they can both be proud of. I believe Torii Hunter was one who changed his signature early on because of Harmon.

Ohhh, but then there is my own guy, Marty Cordova, who could be absolutely awful at times.

hockeytigers
02-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Just saw this one on NFL Auctions of singer Tim McGraw and it got me thinking...who has the worst autograph?

Are you really buying this for the autograph or for the helmet and removing the autograph?

legaleagle92481
02-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Just saw this one on NFL Auctions of singer Tim McGraw and it got me thinking...who has the worst autograph?

Are you really buying this for the autograph or for the helmet and removing the autograph?

The list of candidates is endless. Allen Iverson, Patrick Ewing, most hockey players.

Manram
02-16-2010, 10:15 PM
IMO Chris Johnson has a terrible signature. Just a C and a scribble. There also is one player that i saw that played football and had his cards in one of the bowman sterling boxes. I can't recall his name, but his signature looked like a check mark

flota89
02-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Andre Ethier has a pretty bad one. So does Cardinals pitching prospect Lance Lynn. Those two come to mind for me at the time.

neverfinished94
02-16-2010, 11:08 PM
There also is one player that i saw that played football and had his cards in one of the bowman sterling boxes. I can't recall his name, but his signature looked like a check mark

http://i.ebayimg.com/04/!BgTKZp!BWk~$(KGrHqMH-DMEsKf0oKgbBLEvC)1zZg~~_12.JPG

jetersbatboy
02-16-2010, 11:41 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=21930

Here's a thread about this subject.

Manram
02-16-2010, 11:43 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/04/!BgTKZp!BWk~$(KGrHqMH-DMEsKf0oKgbBLEvC)1zZg~~_12.JPG

There it is, thanks for finding that. That is the worst i have ever seen!!!

LastingsMilledge85
02-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Lastings Milledge, hands down

I second that.