PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can't get the smell out!

JasonBanz
01-02-2009, 10:37 AM
A friend of mine purchased a game worn Chris Cooley jersey from the MNF game against the Steelers. It was unwashed and it reeks of BO. Is there any way of getting the smell out without washing it?

GarkoCollector
01-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Febreeze maybe or maybe spray it with an Odor Neutralizer spray. Airwick makes some I know.

AWA85
01-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Why in the world would you want remove the smell from a true game??? :D I think there was a thread a long time ago about this topic, Febreeze also could be an option?

JasonBanz
01-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Ok thanks. The smell is pretty bad. I understand its the smell of a true gamer, but its strong!

Vintagedeputy
01-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Spray it with Febreeze and then toss it in a plastic garbage bag with a few fabric softener sheets. Tie the bag tightly and let the jersey sit for a week or 2.

allstarsplus
01-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Before I knew about Febreeze I would leave the jersey in a box and over time the stink would get better. I actually got a TBTC of a pitching coach that was horrific!

You have to Post this on Chris Cooley's site!!! Here is the link:

http://chriscooley47.com/contact_us

allstarsplus
01-02-2009, 11:07 AM
You have to Post this on Chris Cooley's site!!! Here is the link:

http://chriscooley47.com/contact_us

fanmail@chriscooley47.com is the email. Chris has a great Blog and is always a lot of fun away from the football field.

slam
01-02-2009, 11:09 AM
I might have a solution for you. There is a company called Flat D Inovations that makes this garment bag that is suppose to suck the smell out of clothes. I haven't tried it yet, but it has good reviews.n

mvandor
01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Old school solution.

Hang it outside to air it out for a few days.

thome25.com
01-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Go to a sports authority or Joe's. Go to the hunting section and ask for a sent removal spray. It will not harm the jersey nor will it make it smell like a prom dress. It will remove any and all odor without washing it...

metsbats
01-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a pair of Gary Carter game used shin guards from 1986 which reek. I put them in a plastic bag which has contained the stench. If I ever was to display them I would put them in a acrylic display case to contain it in there.

I never considered using anything to take the smell out as it takes away from the authenticity of the piece. Additionally i'm not sure what long term side affects putting external chemicals on them are to the material.

But that's my preference.

beavisrules
01-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I do something similar to mvandor - I will hang the jersey in the garage in an open area/space for about 1-2 weeks and it is amazing how much improved the smell will be without applying anything to the jersey - even jerseys with cigarette smell not noted on ebay listings. Note that this works much much better during cold seasons. Also make sure you don't have any moths that hang out in your garage on a regular basis!

flaco1801
01-02-2009, 02:16 PM
:eek:

DantleyHOF
02-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Hi Forum,

I just bought on ebay a game used football jersey. When I got the game used football jersey via the mail. The person I got the jersey from, could of worn the football jersey. The jersey all over has a cologne scented bad smell. I am trying to get out the smell. What should I do? Should I spray it with Lysol to get out the smell? Any suggestion? B.F.

stlbats
02-17-2011, 05:46 PM
I would wash the jersey in the washing machine. If you think the person you bought it from wore it anyway, then it makes no difference if you wash it. Chances are, he has been washing it.

stlbats

dcgreg25
02-17-2011, 06:48 PM
I would try airing it out outside. It is amazing what fresh air can do. I have had some jerseys that were unwashed and bagged in plastic bags when I bought them resulting in a terrible smell. I hung them on a hanger on my porch for a couple afternoons and the smell is almost gone.

Alternatively, I would use febreeze. I am not a big fan of washing jerseys for a number of reasons.

mad87man
02-17-2011, 06:51 PM
I would do like others have said and air it out in the backyard for a day or two. Take a nice breezy day and let it air out.

flaco1801
02-18-2011, 09:48 AM
throw it in the washing machine, or hang it in your closet your choice

DantleyHOF
02-18-2011, 08:31 PM
mad87man
stlbats
flaco1801
dcgreg25

Thanks for the help and your great suggestions. I am going to air it out or if that doesn't work use febreeze. The cold air outside should work. Have a great weekend. B.F.

jake33
03-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Just a helpedul note for those out there who like game used jerseys that are unwashed but the odor is too stong.

I work for a company that makes plastic storage. Without giving a plug, we make a airtight product that is about the size of a file box. What I did with a jersey that was pounded with use but smelled awful (almost smelling up an entire room) was put the jersey sealed in the box with a small bowl of baking soda. I left the jersey in the box for a week and removed it.

After a week, a lot fo the odor of the jersey was removed (not all) to the point of it not being rancid and the jersey was unwashed still. I only did this with one jersey of mine. I know some collectors would not like this, but some wouldn't have an huge issue.

i can give details on where to get the box if needed though for those interested

Jags Fan Dan
03-27-2011, 04:25 PM
That's a good idea, because the baking soda is just absorbing odor, not altering the jerseys condition.

richsu39
09-27-2011, 12:59 PM
On friday the Indians had the jersey off my back day auction. They had every player and I happened to win the Ubaldo Jimenez jersey from when he pitched ealier in the week. The jersey smells like he pitched because it was ever washed. My question is, is there any way without washing it to get the smell off of it.

thanks for your help Rich

NEFAN
09-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Those scented clothes for a clothes dryer in the bottom of a garment bag with the jersey in it for a couple days.

richsu39
09-27-2011, 01:36 PM
ok thanks alot I will try that

jake33
09-27-2011, 01:52 PM
the company I work for makes an airtight storage box and what I have done before is put the jersye with a cup of baking soda in it and seal it for a week. It will take about 50% of the smell away at aleast

ivo610
09-27-2011, 02:14 PM
I leave them outside on a clothesline if its really bad and its not going to rain. Works almost every time.

Titans74
09-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Not to sound weird but if I get an unwashed jersey and it stinks like the player or just stinks sweaty, that just adds to the game worn appeal.

bdeol4
09-27-2011, 02:39 PM
game worn jersey....if it stinks....i say thats a good thing!:D

masp3392
09-27-2011, 02:40 PM
good ol fashioned air dry!

solarlottry
09-27-2011, 10:30 PM
My wife puts up with my "hoarding" of 49ers gamers as long as they dont smell! I cannot put the unwashed shirts in the closet as they really smell horrific. I leave them on a hanger, for a few days on my lanai (balconey for you mainlanders!) and that usually tones down the smell enough to bring them into the house but not quite into the closet. Thus I keep the unwashed shirts, along with other gamers in a nice cabinet that she does not open. It works out fairly well. The funny thing is that when one of the unwashed but "less smelly" shirts is in the closet by mistake, she knows immediately.

Personally, even though I do air the shirts out, I like when they smell really nasty. I think it adds to their authenticity. Sometimes specific gamers from NFL Auctions that you expect to smell aweful, do not, but the long snapper's jersey stinks to high heaven! It is amusing to me that a defensive lineman's shirt can smell way better than a jersey that saw just a few snaps!

Always buying 49ers gamers and ANY 1994 49er gamer and paying a nice finders fee!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

BrianK
09-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Makes me think about an acrylic display case. Seems a bead of clear silicone caulk would make it air tight. Anyone tried?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360365779235

brewcrew
10-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Anyone have any suggestions as to getting the smell out of a game used hat? It reeks to high heaven and I put it back in the box it was shipped in with a couple of Bounce sheets. I'm hoping that works but if it doesn't...is my only alternative putting it in a display case?