PDA

View Full Version : Purchase you most regret...

frikativ54
12-30-2008, 03:45 AM
I'm sure we all have one. But I'd like to hear what that one purchase was, that something that you thought you really needed at the time, but for some reason, you are now ambivalent about. Or maybe it was just a dumb decision that you have moved on from...or maybe you still regret what you did. In any case, I would like to hear about it.

What's the purchase that you most regret?

murfsteve25
12-30-2008, 04:19 AM
3 years ago when I was collecting any and everything, I purchased a pair of game used autographed SOCKS from Gary Sheffield. They came from Elite Sports Marketing and even had the Sheffield COA sticker on them. The socks came from his Yankee days and I regret the 50 or 60 bucks I spent on them. I havent even taken them out of the box I've had them in since I got them in the mail.

bigtruck260
12-30-2008, 11:16 AM
I bought 5 McGwire baseballs from Steiner in 2004 for $499 each. I since sold them all for an average price of $165...:eek:

TNTtoys
12-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Along the same lines as bigtruck... back when I was a sports figurine collector/reseller (hence my name), I invested a good deal of money in 1997 Terrell Davis Starting Lineup rookie figures. I was picking them up in the ballpark of $50-60 each and selling them for $75 and up.

Back then, he was exploding in the NFL and his potential was off the chart. Well, we all know how that story goes... career ending injury... no longer a "future hall of famer"... no longer has a legitimate shot at all of the career records... interest in his collectibles deteriorated.

Stuck with about 10 of these, I was sacrificing them for $10-20 by the time all was said and done. The lesson I learned by this move was to DIVERSIFY... never again would I "invest" so much in a single player, because you simply never know.

harpt
12-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey TNT...do you still have a bunch of "older" lineups? I have a near complete set of 1988 baseball (loose). I know it is not worth anything, but I figure I would like to complete the set someday just for a hobby.

Please send me an email if you have any of these still laying around.

Sorry to hijack you thread Frik.

mariner_gamers
12-30-2008, 03:12 PM
That would be my autographed Roger Maris/Mickey Mantle 8x10 signed by the dealer I bought it from back in 1990.........

allstarsplus
12-30-2008, 03:29 PM
My genius purchase of a Roger Clemens game used jersey from Steiner that I later auctioned off and lost $1,000's on.

bigtruck260
12-30-2008, 03:45 PM
That would be my autographed Roger Maris/Mickey Mantle 8x10 signed by the dealer I bought it from back in 1990.........

You and about 10,000 others...

I discovered a few autopen sigs from players in my collection when I sent them to PSA (When I thought that was the best thing to do)...

My prized Nolan Ryan autograph that he sent me in my SASE was done by a machine. It wasn't forged, but still upset me. I should have been thankful to get anything at all...

hrvatwill
12-30-2008, 04:15 PM
For me it has to be the game used Heath Miller jersey that I bought on ebay after the Steelers in the wake of the Steelers last Super Bowl victory. Call it "irrational exuberance".

I was brand new to both ebay and the GU hobby and reinforced PT Barnum's famous saying about "a sucker being born every minute." It came with a COA and was guaranteed authentic.

I spent countless hours trying to photomatch it. Problem is, as I discovered is that Steelers nameplates are tightly cropped around the name while my "gamer" featured a nameplate stretching across the back.

Guess what happened when I informed both the seller and ebay as to what I had discovered? Yep....nothing. My attempt at legal recourse was also unsuccessful due to the complexity of having to have the seller served in Texas (as per the lawyer who advised me).

Seller used to post here but has since discontinued. In case you are still reading the forum, though.......have a Happy New Year and God bless your soul.

metsbats
12-30-2008, 04:20 PM
100 ct lot of Gregg Jefferies 1988 Donruss Rated Rookies cards!

helmets
12-30-2008, 05:21 PM
I bought 5 McGwire baseballs from Steiner in 2004 for $499 each. I since sold them all for an average price of $165...:eek:

WHAT?
Yikes...

Culpepper game used helmet. At the time he was a pretty good quarterback...

yanks12025
12-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Well i did not buy this but i regret sending the money. There was a game used bat on a website so i contacted the seller and i told him i would take the bat. So i sent the payment(Moneyorder). Well the seller sold the bat to another buyer and he decide to keep my money($620). I contacted his local police and they never called me back, so i just gave up. When i go to Florida again i plan on making a visit to his house with a bat.:)

Ozric
12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
100 ct lot of Gregg Jefferies 1988 Donruss Rated Rookies cards!

Now that one hits close to home. 5000 1989 Topps Mark Lewis rookie cards at .15 each. My first and only "big" card investment. After getting laughed at trying to sell them, then not even being able to give them away, I simply threw them all out a few years ago during a move. My kids did not even want them to put in their spokes.

skyking26
12-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Cecil Fielder GU bat bought from John Taube for $415, sold for around $200. Biggest problem with buying stuff early on a player is speculation...don't buy into it.

grenda12
12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
I most regret my GU Joe Crede Autographed Batting Helmet. I put my high bid of $50 on it, thinking that I wouldnt win it because of the reserve that was on it. Next thing I knew, it was mine. The guy ended the auction early and gave it to the highest bid. Completely infair. I didnt really want it.

The other item I regret is my 2005 World Series AJ Pierzynski Bobblehead. I put a high bid of $50 on it once again. There was no action on it, for days even the last few minutes. So I thought it was going to be mine for $16. I was wrong within the last second it went up to $43 and I was stuck with a $50 bobblehead. The last couple Ive seen on eBay didnt even sell for $20.

skyking26
12-30-2008, 09:06 PM
I most regret my GU Joe Crede Autographed Batting Helmet. I put my high bid of $50 on it, thinking that I wouldnt win it because of the reserve that was on it. Next thing I knew, it was mine. The guy ended the auction early and gave it to the highest bid. Completely infair. I didnt really want it.

The other item I regret is my 2005 World Series AJ Pierzynski Bobblehead. I put a high bid of $50 on it once again. There was no action on it, for days even the last few minutes. So I thought it was going to be mine for $16. I was wrong within the last second it went up to $43 and I was stuck with a $50 bobblehead. The last couple Ive seen on eBay didnt even sell for $20.
Always be prepared to pay whatever reserve you set. We've all done it, especially if you will be at work, etc when an auction ends so you put a high number on. Chances are you'll lose the item, or you'll get it but pay high $$.

suicide_squeeze
12-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Oh, yes.......and ALWAYS be prepared to pay whatever reserve you've set on an American Memorabilia auction item too.....

Oh, wait, I'm sorry........The FBI shut that practice down, didn't they!?:p

suicide_squeeze
12-30-2008, 09:23 PM
3 years ago when I was collecting any and everything, I purchased a pair of game used autographed SOCKS from Gary Sheffield. They came from Elite Sports Marketing and even had the Sheffield COA sticker on them. The socks came from his Yankee days and I regret the 50 or 60 bucks I spent on them. I havent even taken them out of the box I've had them in since I got them in the mail.

Hey murfsteve25.....Hang in there.

On his very first Home Run next season, he'll be a member of the 500 Home Run club.

You can then start a collection of something NOBODY ELSE in the hobby has......Signed socks of the 500 home run hitters!!

Surely SOMEONE on ebay will jump ALL OVER that.....we all started out foolish in our hobby.......

cohibasmoker
12-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Many years ago, I bought a box of Cohiba Esplendidos with a glass top. The labels and tax stamps looked good and the cigars looked right. The problem was/is, Cohiba cigars are and have never been sold in a box with a glass top.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Swarzakguy31
12-30-2008, 09:51 PM
you are mad because you won a joe crede game used signed batting helmet for 50 bucks... that is not a bad deal at all.

grenda12
12-30-2008, 09:53 PM
you are mad because you won a joe crede game used signed batting helmet for 50 bucks... that is not a bad deal at all.

Yup! You interested in it?

soxwin1
12-30-2008, 10:26 PM
send me pics of the Crede helmet as I am interested.
thanks
brian
bbmmquick@comcast.net

Swarzakguy31
12-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Yup! You interested in it?Sure,
gossjordan@hotmail.com

70to66
12-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I would like some pics of the Crede helmet also.

jaythorpe@sbcglobal.net

skyking26
12-30-2008, 10:53 PM
I can't figure that one out either. Helmets are amongst the hardest to obtain of GU items and he is complaining about something he can easily turn a profit on?? He already has 2 people looking for pics.

C'mon...

stkmtimo
12-31-2008, 07:57 AM
I bought Jody Gerut signed "Game Worn" Insoles. I still have no idea why I bought them - I don't think I had any real focus in my collecting back then so now I'm just trying to unload them.

Tim

JETEFAN
12-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Many years ago, I bought a box of Cohiba Esplendidos with a glass top. The labels and tax stamps looked good and the cigars looked right. The problem was/is, Cohiba cigars are and have never been sold in a box with a glass top.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Jim,
No glass ttop here !!

George

cohibasmoker
12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Jim,
No glass ttop here !!

George

You're killing me.

mdube16
12-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey TNT...do you still have a bunch of "older" lineups? I have a near complete set of 1988 baseball (loose). I know it is not worth anything, but I figure I would like to complete the set someday just for a hobby.

Please send me an email if you have any of these still laying around.

Sorry to hijack you thread Frik.

I sent an email but for anyone interested, there is a good active SLU board
http://www.slu.net/cgi-local/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

That said I regret the several hundred figures in my garage!

TNTtoys
12-31-2008, 02:20 PM
I sent an email but for anyone interested, there is a good active SLU board
http://www.slu.net/cgi-local/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

That said I regret the several hundred figures in my garage!

I was one of the earliest members of that board; I heard recently that it's still live & well. I poked my head in to check it out and saw that I had unopened private messages from years ago :)

Along the same lines, I probably have more of these in my garage than you do!!!

larry bourget
01-01-2009, 09:50 AM
$125 and under Texas Rangers jerseys i originally purchased from MeiGray, "THE" Best in the Business!
I thought at least i would always be able to get my money back out should i ever decide to sell or trade them.

But Nobody wants MLB TEXAS RANGERS jerseys.

LB

godwulf
01-01-2009, 11:56 AM
$125 and under Texas Rangers jerseys i originally purchased from MeiGray, "THE" Best in the Business!
I thought at least i would always be able to get my money back out should i ever decide to sell or trade them.

But Nobody wants MLB TEXAS RANGERS jerseys.

LB

If you're still looking to sell them, it wouldn't hurt to throw them up on the Collector to Collector board. Who are the players? (Or can you tell?) There are a few Rangers whose jerseys I wouldn't mind having, like Bobby Witt and Ed Vosberg.

larry bourget
01-01-2009, 09:58 PM
They are buried in C to C somewhere, they got a lot of viewing but No bites.

No Bobby Witt or Ed Vosberg,...........also no Robert Ellis.

LB

tknorm
01-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Mine would be a 2000 Seattle Mariners Alternate style "Game Used" Jersey of Mike Cameron that I bought from Jody Lewis on ebay. Now I don't have alot of confidence that it is legit. I don't know for certain it is not good, and I am by no means an expert, but I just don't have as good of a feeling as I have about my other stuff. At one point he had alot of good stuff on ebay but later not so good.

shaggy33
01-03-2009, 08:20 PM
WHAT?
Yikes...

Culpepper game used helmet. At the time he was a pretty good quarterback...

I might be interested in the Daunte gamer. Let me know what you're looking to get out of it.