PDA

View Full Version : Mark McGwire Signed, Game-Used St. Louis Cardinals Bat

gameused
04-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Anyone care to comment on this Mac bat that was on ebay? What is a fair market price you would pay for this bat?

Thanks, Bobby

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8786827957&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

cjmedina1
04-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Is this your bat?

Rboitano
04-06-2006, 11:00 AM
I asked the seller how much he was looking to get for it and he said he wanted $3,000 to end the auction. The bat looks nice, I am just wondering how much use it really has. The pictures do not help at all, but the autograph looks perfect to me. I have an 01 that has the same batch code as that bat as well. Im sure Jeff Scott can comment on this bat as well.

Rboitano
04-06-2006, 11:05 AM
I would have to say the bat might be worth around $1700-$2000. The autograph and the fact that the bat is cracked help give it that price. I dont think Mac will be doing any private signings any time soon. I think it was cjmedina1 had a very nice 2000 Mac bat that was for sale.

cjmedina1
04-06-2006, 11:26 AM
It was me.I was trying to see if anyone was able to pay what I paid for it.3k was a steal at the time I bought it.My highest offer was 1400.I would of taken 2k for it.I also had a 1986 mac sign gamer too.That did not have any offers that was worth posting.My highesr offer was 600.I would have thought that bat would bring more than my 00 bat.I guess thats what I get for thinking:rolleyes: .

Birdbats
04-06-2006, 11:57 AM
I didn't reply to this thread because I honestly don't have a clue what the bat is worth. I know what they USED to be worth before Mac hung himself in front of the Congressal committee. But since then, there haven't been any rock-solid gamers on the market to help establish a price. Lots of light use/uncracked bats, but I don't consider those to be unquestionable gamers.

The bat on eBay was the first really sweet, signed Cardinals gamer I've seen at auction in a long time, and I guess I'm not surprised by the bid amount. It probably would get a higher bid in a major auction, but how much more? Hard to say. And, of course, the seller would have to pay 17.5%... so the net might not be any higher.

I fear the days of the $2,000 McGwire bat might be gone, unless it's a well-documented 1998 bat -- and there aren't many of those. Can't imagine one ever selling for $3,000. And Oakland bats have always sold for less than Cardinals bats. Even if $1,500 is the ceiling, that's still a lot of money.

It's possible that the bat on eBay is the new rule rather than the exception. Any bat is worth whatever the market will pay, and there aren't many markets larger than eBay. I think we'll need to see at least two more legit Mac bats at auction before we can place a "price guide" value on them.

For more information about how to identify McGwire Cardinals game-used bats, check out my "McGwire Bat Buyer's Guide" at http://www.birdbats.com.

Jeff

cjmedina1
04-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Here is some pics of my 2000 sign gamer.The sig is 01.The guy I bought the bat from said he had Mac sign early 01.The autograph has a PSA/DNA coa and I do plan on sending the bat to PSA/DNA of Mears.I m not sure which one to send it to.Any help would help me out.

cjmedina1
04-06-2006, 04:41 PM
More pics of my 2000 bat

cjmedina1
04-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Here is some pics of my 1986 gamer.I have the book called Bats.The bat does check out as the right markings for a 1986 gamer.Its hard to tell from the pics.The only pic that I did find that show the same pine tar is Mac 1989 Tacoma Tigers card.If you look close you can see its pretty much the same pine tar in the lower handle underneath the green ring.It has all the right Markings.

cjmedina1
04-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Pics of my 1986 sign gamer

cjmedina1
04-06-2006, 05:01 PM
More Pics

gameused
04-07-2006, 12:33 AM
CJ,

No, the bat listed in ebay is not mine. That Mac 2000 game used bat you have is a nice one, lots of tar, ballmarks and a perfect signature, thanks for the photos. Can I ask you what year you purchased and how much did you pay. Really nice bat of MAC!

Thanks, Bobby

cjmedina1
04-07-2006, 11:00 AM
I bought it 3 years ago from a guy by the name of Ron Gertz.This guy has tons of bats and really knows what he is talking about.He does sell from time to time on ebay.His ebay name is sandlotbats.He did have a sign gamer from Mcgwire 87 season.The very unique thing about this bat is it is the bat when he hit his 47 home run that year ans sign it to Jose Canseco and gave it to him.I know I have some pics of the bat.I will dig them up and post them on the web site.Ron did say that some one from PSA wanting to buy the bat.Not sure if that happen.Check back later and I will see if I can get some pics.