PDA

View Full Version : Newbie offers

jppopma
12-23-2008, 03:53 PM
I have noticed recently alot of newbies coming in and trying to make offers on things that are posted in various threads. Sometimes these are the holy grails of people's collections that I have seen them looking for for years. Then for someone to come on and say, I want to buy that after coming on here for only a month or so?

I'm curious if these newbies are coming in with legitimate offers or what others stories anyone has on these unsolicited requests. I'm sure some of them are way out there.

Not trying to offend anyone here, just that I know I would be burned bad if someone comes on at the right time and works a deal on something I have been waiting for years to come up.

JasonBanz
12-23-2008, 04:33 PM
I have noticed recently alot of newbies coming in and trying to make offers on things that are posted in various threads. Sometimes these are the holy grails of people's collections that I have seen them looking for for years. Then for someone to come on and say, I want to buy that after coming on here for only a month or so?

I'm curious if these newbies are coming in with legitimate offers or what others stories anyone has on these unsolicited requests. I'm sure some of them are way out there.

Not trying to offend anyone here, just that I know I would be burned bad if someone comes on at the right time and works a deal on something I have been waiting for years to come up.
I am new to the game used market and have shown extreme interest for the past 2 months. I guess that makes me a "newbie". I know I have only been on here for a few months and if someone offered something and I wanted it and had the money for it. I have just as much right as you do to buy it. Now granted I have not bought any high $ stuff since I have been on here, i'm here to defend some of the new guys who are interested in game used items. For example, someone is offering a game used Dan Marino jersey and I have the money and make a legitimate offer, how am I in the wrong? This forum has been made to have game used collectors help out others. Not to complain or bring others down. Over the past few months I have visited this site daily and enjoy looking at the memoribilia people have and just received. In my opinion making a thread like this is a little uncalled for.

whatupyos
12-23-2008, 04:38 PM
I hope the person that started the thread doesn't feel entitled to a "holy grail" item. Like the poster previous to me, a "newbie" has every right to an item as anyone else does here. If you've been looking for an item for say 15 years and a newbie beats you to it....tough. That's life. Keep looking. It sure sounds to me like the person who started this thread feels its theirs because of their time spent looking and I have to strongly disagree. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Aaron

JasonBanz
12-23-2008, 04:46 PM
I hope the person that started the thread doesn't feel entitled to a "holy grail" item. Like the poster previous to me, a "newbie" has every right to an item as anyone else does here. If you've been looking for an item for say 15 years and a newbie beats you to it....tough. That's life. Keep looking. It sure sounds to me like the person who started this thread feels its theirs because of their time spent looking and I have to strongly disagree. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Aaron

Well said Aaron!

bigtruck260
12-23-2008, 04:59 PM
We were all new at some point...

The state of the economy dictates who buys what - and if I am selling, and someone is willing to pay my reserve...it's theirs.

How do you feel about 'newbie' sellers that put too much value on their items - and won't budge on offers...? Same principle - it's capitalism. Our whole society functions on this type of stuff.

If you've been around for a while, you develop a thickness to your 'skin' - although, I have seen some new buyers that buy something I want at a good price, and re-list it at twice what they bought it at - but oh well. No reason to bellyache about it.

Vintagedeputy
12-23-2008, 06:03 PM
I've had to pass up on quite a few choice items here recently - simply because I dont have the funds. If someone else is in a position to buy and I'm not, so be it.

dcrules01
12-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Im in the fortunate position on the board.I have been offered items through email by members before they hit the board.First come first serve and if its a grail and someone else bought it contact the newbie and offer more than they paid.

metsbats
12-23-2008, 07:07 PM
New to the GUF does not necessarily mean new to the hobby. I personally know of at least 2 veteran collectors who hardly ever post and are looking for rare and holy grail type items. One of which I hooked up to get a 69 Swoboda WS bat which a new collector was offering on this very forum (so it can work both ways). If these gentleman would post they would be newbies to the forum but been collecting long before this forum ever existed.

skyking26
12-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Even as a hobby vet like myself with upcoming 30 years in, it's all about first come, first serve..the almighty dollar. If I lose as suggested, it's my fault for not checking the boards enough, nobody elses.

On a similar note, for years if I see something I like on ebay but a buddy bid first - I respectively back away and let them pursue it rather than try an outbid a friend...but that is me.

jetersbatboy
12-23-2008, 07:36 PM
If I am reading jppoma post correctly, it sounds like he's point newbies that are making offers on items that are not for sale. I had a offer on a bat recently that I have no intention on selling. It's a bat that I was after for two years. Just use so sense when making offers on things, don't make offers on peoples newly aquired holy grails.

both-teams-played-hard
12-23-2008, 08:08 PM
If I am reading jppoma post correctly, it sounds like he's point newbies that are making offers on items that are not for sale. I had a offer on a bat recently that I have no intention on selling. It's a bat that I was after for two years. Just use so sense when making offers on things, don't make offers on peoples newly aquired holy grails.
Yes, this is how I understood the original post also. Someone posts on the new pickup thread, and folks start making offers before the "submit" button gets cold. If folks want offers, enable the private message function or include an email address. And also, "what do you want for this?" is lame. Make offers that can't be refused, especially for a grail.

AWA85
12-23-2008, 08:28 PM
No offense guys but I would say EVERY item has a price. I have picked up numerous items just by asking around and talking to people. You should not be offended because a person or new person makes an offer for your item.

The only thing I can see people being upset is the low offers that are not even close to value. Really think we should avoid the label newbies and criticizing, I was the new guy for a long time and learned a lot just by asking question (some which probably seemed very dumb). Good to pick up new posters, hopefully they will bring new items, knowledge and posts to the forum.

skyking26
12-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Only thing that REALLY CHAPS MY A*S is unanswered emails or calls. This lack of communication just makes me wanna blow. Answering an email, regardless of nature, takes just seconds out of your freakin' day. I'm getting to the point where if I get no answer, I just don't bother anymore...

whatupyos
12-23-2008, 10:33 PM

Why not make an offer on a newly aquired item, whether its a holy grail or not? Whats the harm in it? Its like if someone wants to wear a game used jersey. I prefer if I'm going to buy a game used jersey that the player is the only one who wore it. But if a member, or anyone else wants to wear a jersey they bought, they certainly have the right to wear it....its their item.

Aaron

jppopma
12-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Jeter and Both Teams caught my vibe on this. I am not against anybody getting to something first or being willing to pay more than me for it.

I am specifically talking about the unsolicited offers people (mostly newbies) have been making on things they see in threads. These are often items that are being shown off as part of someone's collection and yes, at times people taking great pride in finally landing an item after years of searching. If I post that I finally found a jersey that I had been searching for over the past 10 years -- I'd almost expect to see 5 post of congrats and 3 people telling me they are interested in buying it from me.

That's just my observations of late. I understand that every item has its price, but I'm curious at what these offers are coming in at? Do we have some newbies that are trying to get a steal, don't know what to expect in terms of pricing, or looking to take advantage of a down economy? Also what are the feelings of the members who are getting these offers tossed at then?

jppopma
12-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Just to clarify...I do not have anything against newbies coming here nor any problem helping any of them out. Also, I have not been burned or outbid on any items that I have on my radar. I was only posting an observation I have made recently in seeing alot of these offers. I'm more curious about what is behind these offers.

AWA85
12-24-2008, 12:15 AM
May be annoying, but take it as a compliment you must be getting great items that others want! ;)

hrvatwill
12-24-2008, 09:33 PM
The intent of this thread may not have been to offend, but the term "newbie" is unfortunately very condescending. Once you use it, it puts everything else which follows in a different context, no matter how valid the point may or may not be.

A better and more descriptive term is "new members", one of which we were all at one time. And of course, new members are the key to perpetuating this great hobby of ours, enjoyed by experts, senior and junior members, new members and seasoned veterans alike.

joelsabi
12-25-2008, 10:15 AM
The intent of this thread may not have been to offend, but the term "newbie" is unfortunately very condescending. Once you use it, it puts everything else which follows in a different context, no matter how valid the point may or may not be.

A better and more descriptive term is "new members", one of which we were all at one time. And of course, new members are the key to perpetuating this great hobby of ours, enjoyed by experts, senior and junior members, new members and seasoned veterans alike.

i still consider myself a newbie. i dont know everything and im continuously learning all of you in this forum. i always take a double take when it says im a senior member. it doesnt mean i know more. it just means im just hanging around longer than others and willing to ask questions more than others.

suave1477
12-25-2008, 01:03 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with a newbie or anyone else making an offer on a newly aquired holy grail item. Whats wrong with that? If you bought John Doe Jersey for $100 and the buyer is offering $5000, as long as his money is green consider it sold.

As the saying goes "Easy come easy go"

grenda12
01-17-2009, 12:22 PM
i still consider myself a newbie. i dont know everything and im continuously learning all of you in this forum. i always take a double take when it says im a senior member. it doesnt mean i know more. it just means im just hanging around longer than others and willing to ask questions more than others.

I was just wondering, when you get the title of Junior/Senior member?

suicide_squeeze
01-17-2009, 01:15 PM
O.K. ChrisCavalier.....

I just finished scrubbing all the bathrooms floors in this joint.

What's next for my "newbie" inaguration???

TNTtoys
01-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Liz,

It's based on the number of messages you have posted on the site. I believe the magic numbers are 40 and 100.

Nick

spartakid
01-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Yea that's right, I'm not a senior member yet though.

grenda12
01-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Liz,

It's based on the number of messages you have posted on the site. I believe the magic numbers are 40 and 100.

Nick

Ive been a member since 10-30-08 and have a total of 81 posts (1.02 posts per day)

TNTtoys
01-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Ive been a member since 10-30-08 and have a total of 81 posts (1.02 posts per day)

When you hit 100 posts, you should see your status change.

grenda12
01-17-2009, 08:36 PM
When you hit 100 posts, you should see your status change.

Alright. Thank you!

grenda12
01-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Im now a Senior Member! That didnt take long.

mr.miracle
01-19-2009, 04:19 PM

Once you hit 5000 total posts you achieve immortal god status. Nobody has hit that level yet but it is coming one day.

Vintagedeputy
01-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Once you hit 5000 total posts you achieve immortal god status. Nobody has hit that level yet but it is coming one day.

With this post, I just passed Lou Gehrig!

mr.miracle
01-19-2009, 04:41 PM
With this post, I just passed Lou Gehrig!

Only 502 more to go to pass Ripken. Don't forget 2217 gets Sachio Kinugasa of Japan.