PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News

yanks12025
12-23-2008, 03:46 PM
The Yankees sign Mark Teixeira. This has been the greatest christmas for yankee fans.

BULBUS
12-23-2008, 04:07 PM
C.C - Check
A.J. - Check
Teix - Check
2009 WS Champs - my 8 ball says the future looks bright! :D

matt
12-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Hello luxury tax. Maybe hello playoffs if they can finish off signing a rotation with the 50 cents left in the budget.

Seems like the old days for us Red Sox fans. Hope Theo enjoys sitting on his matress full of cash...or maybe we can re-sign Manny, I am sure that would help the team chemistry!

Matt

Lokee
12-23-2008, 04:14 PM
:eek:

It looks like New york just BOUGHT another World Series.

On a side note if Boras keeps pissing off these teams there will be alot of players without teams this year.

AWA85
12-23-2008, 04:14 PM
I never really care to complain about salaries and team budgets, but this is getting a little ridiculous. Maybe they could go out and sign Lowe and Manny after the holidays.

whatupyos
12-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I love it for this reason. I don't see the Yankees as being any better or worse with these signings. Granted I'm not a Yankee fan but the reason why I love it is they have had an All Star team for the past 8 seasons and failed to win the big prize. The signings of C.C., A.J. and Tex won't change anything. I still doubt they will make the playoffs. If those 3 don't perform there will be hell to pay in the NY media. Here is to a 9th year of no World Series ring!!!!

Cheers.
Aaron

BULBUS
12-23-2008, 04:25 PM
It looks like New york just BOUGHT another World Series.

When was the last time the Yankees bought a World Series???? The only reason their payroll got up there a little for there last WS win in 2000 was because they had to pay to keep their own, like Jeter, Pettitte, Posada, and Mariano.

Now if they win this year and these new guys come up big, then maybe you have an argument. If you want to say the Red Sox BOUGHT their last two WS, then you have an argument, but they Yankees in the 90's were a great team!

And even after getting CC, AJ, and Teixiera, their payroll is still under what it was last year.

Maybe Boston can bring back Manny and Lowe :eek:

mariner_gamers
12-23-2008, 04:27 PM
The Yankees have always been great for baseball. They are arguably the most popular team in baseball with the second most popular being folks that hate the Yankees. Until they win 10 World Series in a row why not let them spend and play the heavy? Baseball has been a blast the past 10 years with Boston's resurgence and what seems to be a yearly suprise team making a run. Nope, I love my Mariners but baseball would just not be the same without the Yanks spending mad cash and stirring the pot.......

bigtruck260
12-23-2008, 04:33 PM
I love it for this reason. I don't see the Yankees as being any better or worse with these signings. Granted I'm not a Yankee fan but the reason why I love it is they have had an All Star team for the past 8 seasons and failed to win the big prize. The signings of C.C., A.J. and Tex won't change anything. I still doubt they will make the playoffs. If those 3 don't perform there will be hell to pay in the NY media. Here is to a 9th year of no World Series ring!!!!

Cheers.
Aaron

Good call Aaron. I am with you here...

Rboitano
12-23-2008, 04:40 PM
At least the Yankees spend the money and dont run the club as a business like my home town Cardinals. The Cardinals like to pick up players from the scrap heap and the home media trys to act like its a huge pick up. I cant see why they cant spend some money every once in awihle.

bigtruck260
12-23-2008, 05:08 PM
At least the Yankees spend the money and dont run the club as a business like my home town Cardinals. The Cardinals like to pick up players from the scrap heap and the home media trys to act like its a huge pick up. I cant see why they cant spend some money every once in awihle.

No argument about the Cards either...I agree that we tend to blow up mediocre players. BUT, we did make the playoffs for 11 years straight...and had a very good season last year with a rag-tag bunch.

Honestly guys like Glaus, Ankiel, Molina, Shumaker and Ludwick could have been starters for any team in either leauge (Schumaker being the only possible platoon player) - for what they have in payroll, the Cards are doing fine. I'm a 'Homer', and I'm not complaining about Kahlil Greene, and I'm glad we didn't pay for names the way the Cubs did.

The Cards are a medium market team, and play within their means. They currently have the BEST player in the game, and got him at a bargain price - and no doubt are shuffling money to keep him forever, or until he starts slowing down in production...Albert has two MVP awards (and hundreds of other awards) and a World Series ring that is still pretty new.

The Cards have been fielding competitive teams since the mid-1990's. If you were a fan of the Lankford, Gilkey, Gant days (which I was)...you should be ecstatic at the product out there now.

Can you tell I am ready for the new season?

JasonBanz
12-23-2008, 05:14 PM
I like baseball, but I can't say I love it near as much as football. I like football because a team who did nothing one year can come up the next and be a contender. I know that was true this year with Tampa Bay. I think in all honesty baseball needs a salary cap. Fans of teams with huge budgets will disagree. The Yankees spent on 3 players, what some organizations would pay for 15. In my opinion it is a bit rediculous. If the economy keeps going the way it is a salary cap will be a must!

skyking26
12-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Now that Tex is signed Dunn should be next on several clubs wish list. Everybody had Tex on their radar initially...

I am not a fan of a club believing they are buying a ring and spending mad cash to do it. I'll laugh hard if they don't make the playoffs....

Fnazxc0114
12-23-2008, 07:31 PM
i guess if you cant grow them in your farm system you might as well buy them. i hope they lose to the rays in the play offs. im not even a rays fan.