PDA

View Full Version : Randy Moss Game Issued Jersey

mtkuna
12-23-2008, 02:16 PM
I just bought a Randy Moss game issued jersey on Ebay. The tagging looks correct and I got it for less then an authentic retail jersey. What are your thoughts? Could this actually be a fake? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260335784835&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

MichaelofSF
12-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I would think that it is a fake. Moss wore a size 46 last year as far as I know. Also, the bottom of Moss Pats jerseys tend to be hemmed with elastic inside (getty image #77542467). The numbering seems to be a little off in terms of size. So although the jersey appears not to ever have been issued to Randy, in my opinion it's better than a retail authentic.

flaco1801
12-23-2008, 04:40 PM
u gonna spend more money and put it in a case or are u gonna wear it?

mtkuna
12-23-2008, 09:58 PM
My son collects autographed jerseys. My intention was to get Randy to sign this and then frame it for his collection. Im not willing to sell a kidney for a game used so I try and get pro-cut, game issued etc. Im fairly new to the jersey market so I figured i would come here to where the experts are. How does someone actually come about getting a game issued jersey in the first place?

jppopma
12-23-2008, 11:30 PM
The easiest way to get a game issued jersey is to go shopping at Dicks Sporting Goods with Lou Lampson and offer to buy him lunch afterward.

mtkuna
12-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Im not looking for a game used jersey. Just something more authentic then the retail authentics. Something made in the Good Ole USA, preferrably Berlin WI....:) My son who is only 7 collects them. He is a huge Tom Brady fan and is an outstanding QB on his pal football team. I want to inspire him to continue his dream of playing in the NFL. He currently has a signed Brady, Nammath, Montana and Elway jersey. Unitas and Marino are next on the list. They are all professionally framed and hanging around the house. The moss jersey is unsigned however Im sure we can arranged to get it signed. From this point on I want to try and buy only game issued jerseys and need help from this community in guiding me to avoid fakes etc. Any input is greatly appreciated.

jppopma
12-26-2008, 01:27 PM
If you are not concerned about it being game used, then I would just go with the ones that are pro cut. That mean that they are that step above authentic and pretty similar to the ones worn by the team (they just don't have all of the customizations).

The term team issued is very vague and often used to sell pro cut jerseys for more money. What is would mean in the truest of sense is a jersey that was made by the team for that player, issued to him, but not worn for some reason (often with injury, trades, etc.). WIth so many pro cut jerseys out there, sellers will often claim that it was from the team since they are close to the real thing.

If you are looking for just a nice jersey for your son, I'd personally skip over the team issued stuff that may or may not be legitimate. The Moss for example would be alot less if listed just as a pro cut Moss jersey. Hopefully that way, you won't pay a premium based on something that may be false and that you don't really need or care for anyway.

On the other hand, if you do find a good and true team issued jersey..it would be a nice investment and way to get your son involved in collecting game used memorabilia (which is what brings us all here). If you want to get him started in that, the big name players will be way too much, but the thrill of owning a real jersey will be there no matter whose it is.

There are alot of good pro cut jerseys on Ebay and they will be alot less that ordering them from say NFL.com. Hope this helps and good luck.

mtkuna
12-29-2008, 02:41 PM
I just received this jersey. Check out the stitching on the numbers. The grey and red is actually overlaid on the white. Has anyone ever seen this?

MichaelofSF
12-29-2008, 03:49 PM
yeah, that's how newer Patriots jerseys are. There is a white number that is glued on, then a red and grey trim is sewn over

mtkuna
12-29-2008, 03:55 PM
So other then the size being a 50 the jersey appears to be legit. Maybe Moss enlarged his waist size I have over the years...LOL

yankees24
12-29-2008, 05:08 PM
very nice jersey but if someone came by your place and saw that and knows Moss's sizing specifications what would be your explanation?

mtkuna
12-29-2008, 05:34 PM
We all put weight on as we get older, maybe Moss really is a size 50 now. Look at the belly Elway had during the later part of his career. Im sure he increased his jersey size several times before he retired. This would make a good research study, especially for this community. Someone should study the average weight gain / size increase associated with playing in the NFL as it relates to tenure.

yankees24
12-29-2008, 07:04 PM
We all put weight on as we get older, maybe Moss really is a size 50 now. Look at the belly Elway had during the later part of his career. Im sure he increased his jersey size several times before he retired. This would make a good research study, especially for this community. Someone should study the average weight gain / size increase associated with playing in the NFL as it relates to tenure.

it's interesting you say this mtkuna because right now I'm contemplating buying a supposedly game used Penny Hardaway Knicks jersey but the size looks too big for him and wanted to get the community's opinions on it.

dcrules01
12-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Just food for thought it is possible that it was a blank pro cut/game issued and the seller just had it customized.I see Dallas team issued blanks every once in awhile on ebay.Just to let you know and welcome to the board..

yankees24
12-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Just food for thought it is possible that it was a blank pro cut/game issued and the seller just had it customized.I see Dallas team issued blanks every once in awhile on ebay.Just to let you know and welcome to the board..

but wouldn't one be able to tell by the difference in quality of the fabric used for the lettering and numbers?

mtkuna
12-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Thats just it, this jersey appears to have the correct style and material used on the numbering. If it had been a blank then I would be very surprised that they were able to get such an exact high quality match on the material and craftsmanship. I could see them spending the time to do it if they were trying to pass off a Unitas game worn jersey, but it makes no sense to put that kind of time and effort into a game issued jersey where the profit margin is so little. Also if they went through the trouble of matching up material and what not, why would they not put the correct size on the item. I bet if you were to look back and many of the game used jerseys for a particular player, you will find most of them have increased in size as they remained in the league. The other factor maybe the manufacturer of the jersey. A size 48 in one style might not fit like a 48 in a different style.

jppopma
12-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Regardless of what the jersey is or isn't, I'm glad to see that you are happy with it and that's what really matters! I'm sure your son will love it also.