PDA

View Full Version : Collecting college jerseys

sonic
12-23-2008, 02:04 AM
Has anyone had any experience contacting graduating athletes to see if they'd sell a jersey? I don't want to get the players in trouble, but I imagine that after they've played their last game and graduated that they can do whatever they want with jerseys they've been allowed to keep, right?

B1SON
12-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Has anyone had any experience contacting graduating athletes to see if they'd sell a jersey? I don't want to get the players in trouble, but I imagine that after they've played their last game and graduated that they can do whatever they want with jerseys they've been allowed to keep, right?

At North Dakota State University, outgoing seniors are given their home jersey at the year end banquet. A player whom is still receiving a scholarship cannot sell the jersey, I don't believe, until he is done receiving scholarship, ie. graduation day. We think sometimes that because their elegibilty is up at the end of the season that they are no longer student athletes, but as long as they are recieving scholarship money spring semester, they are still needing to comply with the NCAA's rules. Now, the potential draft picks may decide may choose to forgo his spring semester scholarship money if he thinks he can make more money doing public signings and appearances. Most players will not end up with more than one jersey, so I am guessing they may choose to hold onto it. You may have better luck contacting the equipment directors at the University. They often sell jerseys and equipment during the spring games each year and may pull something for you and ship it. Good luck and feel free to contact me to let me know how it goes for you. I take a special interest in college collectors. Right Gator Fan??? :)

sonic
12-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the input. :D

gatorcollector
12-24-2008, 10:13 AM
That's right B1SON, us college collectors stick together! I've never contacted a player about whether or not they have any UF stuff they would be willing to sell. Not a bad idea though. I doubt if guys in the NFL would bother with it considering they don't need the money, but maybe some guys just out of school would be willing to sell.