PDA

View Full Version : Funniest Game Used Item Story

Bobby Jenks
12-21-2008, 02:47 PM
What is the most random,funny, or weirdest game used item. Mine would be a baseball bat (pro stock) that gave a pipe in the tunnel the business.

gannonknight85
12-21-2008, 05:08 PM
My funniest story was from this past august when I went to three straight Erie Seawolves (detroit AA) games where they played the Akron Aeros (Indians AA). I came early and left very late for every game,, as the Indians had just aquired Matt Laporta and he finally came to Erie. I met him a couple of times and got him to sign some 8x10's i took, but I was also on the hunt for a game used piece. After waiting by the visitors clubhouse for three hours the attendant finally asked who and what I was waiting for, I replied Matt Laporta, but he told me I missed him, so i asked since i was the only one there for any game used stuff. The attendant told me that there was a bat broken in half in the dugout trash can. I asked if he could get it for me and he told me to just get it. So i went back into the stadium and walked into the dugout and pulled out a nice Max bat of 2nd baseman Brandon Pinckney, I then walked out of the stadium. As I was walking away I heard a voice on the speaker system saying "put all broken bats back in the trash can". I just froze there for a minute until finally someone came to me telling me to put it back. The guy told me if i wanted a game used bat to buy it at the shop there, I said that the clubhouse attendant told me I could take it but i would be willing to pay for it. I asked how much. He said they were sold for $15. Then he asked what player it was and I told him. He then said "just take it man, but stop lurking around the ballpark looking for handouts". I felt very small, but now i just laugh about it.

Bobby Jenks
12-21-2008, 05:18 PM
I was a batboy for the Smokies (Cubs AA) and I was helping the away clubhouse manager where the Huntsville Stars were there that series. He's a pretty nice guy (LaPorta) and got him to sign a ball for me.

34swtns
12-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I then walked out of the stadium. As I was walking away I heard a voice on the speaker system saying "put all broken bats back in the trash can".

I would've yelled back, "Try and catch me!", and booked it out of there. :p

bigtruck260
12-21-2008, 10:47 PM
There is a notorious seller of fraudulent stuff on Ebay who always seems to be involved in bidding for high dollar Cardinal items...

This seller has made numerous fake bats - some so bad that you HAVE to laugh at them. Anyway, his luck selling stuff has been terrible in 2008. I have seen him win items for $400 - only to sell them for less than $100 a week and a half later (Cigarman44 - chime in on this, you know who I am talking about here)...

He bought a Rick Ankiel bat from a buddy of mine for a few hundred dollars in 2007, and a week later, I bought it for $100 - probably just enough to pay for his Ebay fees. It is a perfect example of how Karma comes around sometimes. Folks - be good, and good things will happen.

Merry Christmas

PS - This story is funny if you know the seller. Some of you do. He seems to be WEARING his welcome thin in the memorabilia business. IT has been quite a while since he has sold anything - but sooner or later he'll be back at it AGAIN....

D

tym
12-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Mine would be back in 1997, the M’s golf tournament had a live auction with 1 item being offered by the trainer Rick Griffen, Rick has been the M’s trainer for over 25 years. It was a sealed box so bidding got a little on the high side. $1500 dollars later I owned a Russ Davis autographed ankel cast.
Jay Buhner and Russ Davis felt so bad they both gave me autogrphed game used jersey to go with it!
Should have seen my face when I opened that box and saw that cast J

godwulf
12-22-2008, 08:43 AM
It didn't seem that funny at the time, but, looking back, having Randy Johnson try to screw up my World Series bat was pretty funny...particularly since I have photos.

http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=55156837&effectRGB (http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=55156837&effectRGB)

The whole story is here, if you missed it in the "Worst Experience With An Athlete" thread, awhile back.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=6300&page=5&highlight=randy+fanfest+worst (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=6300&page=5&highlight=randy+fanfest+worst)