PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel like you're making progress in your collection?

commando
12-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I know what it's like (as a card collector) to have that incomplete feeling, and the feeling of no matter how much money I throw at the hobby, I'm still losing ground because of all the new cards being produced every week. These feelings are exactly the reason why many of us no longer collect cards. But do any of you have the same feelings about collecting game used?

I found a team (the USFL Houston Gamblers) that only existed for two years, and every time I pick up a vintage item, I feel like I've gained ground in my collection. To make things even better for me as a collector, Gamblers items are not expensive when they show up.

I have seen several members here that pick up game used items and resell them fairly quickly, often for a loss. I understand that we sometimes need money for that holy grail we've been searching for, but do we often churn the things we've purchased just because we're unfocused?

People are free to collect the way they want, but can lose lots of money if they always taking losses when they churn their items (in my opinion).

AWA85
12-21-2008, 12:03 PM
I am at a point where I have many of the bats that I want. There is a handful of targets that will be missing from my collection for awhile (Scott Williamson Cincinnati Reds bat) but that is part of the fun.

Now I am more focused on upgrading some of the bats and jerseys that I have. Whether it is finding a bat with more use or a jersey of higher quality player than what I already have to keep my collection focused.I feel I have had a lot of progress, but most importantly a lot more enjoyment in my game used collecting.

Dewey2007
12-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I feel I have made progress in my collection just for the simple fact that I have not been collecting very long and anything I get is progress for me at this point.

It's funny I work at a university and for new collectors like me I compare settling on what it is you want to collect to picking a major in college. You try a lot of different things out early on but it's always more satisfying once you figure out what it is you want to study/collect.

Currently though I am trying to downsize my NFL jersey collection because I was not focused early on with what it was I exactly wanted to collect. There's so much stuff out there you can't collect it all. Some of it was impulse and excitement at acquiring new items and that's always a danger too. The jerseys are nice but now it's stuff that doesn't fit with what I want to collect and I hope somewhere down the road I can sell it or trade it for stuff that better fits what I'm collecting.

Great topic by the way!!

Rob L
12-21-2008, 02:57 PM
I feel like I made too much progress in my collection. My initial goal was twofold, pick up every style of GU Angels jersey that had the different Angels "font" across the front and obtain GU Troy Percival items. I started on both about a year ago. I thought it would be tougher but I bagged all of the Angels jerseys as well as GU caps that were used with each jersey style as well as three Percival jerseys/uni and a cap. It's been a good year but will be much quieter next year.

joelsabi
12-21-2008, 03:49 PM
It's funny I work at a university and for new collectors like me I compare settling on what it is you want to collect to picking a major in college. You try a lot of different things out early on but it's always more satisfying once you figure out what it is you want to study/collect.

Currently though I am trying to downsize my NFL jersey collection because I was not focused early on with what it was I exactly wanted to collect. There's so much stuff out there you can't collect it all. Some of it was impulse and excitement at acquiring new items and that's always a danger too. The jerseys are nice but now it's stuff that doesn't fit with what I want to collect and I hope somewhere down the road I can sell it or trade it for stuff that better fits what I'm collecting.

you make some great points. determining your niche in collecting is an important decision because it is hard to change gears or paths once you have been collecting for a couple of years. who wants to start over when you about to graduate.

yanks12025
12-21-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm working on the 1977/78 yankee game used bat set. I got some but i still need acouple big guys(Munson and Jackson). But other then that i just collect what i think looks cool.

BIGSTIG
12-21-2008, 04:48 PM
I feel as if I have made AMAZING progress in my collection.

My goal is a...
Jersey
Bat (non pitchers)
Hat
Cleats
Gloves (these are a bonus)

...from a list of 22 of my Favorite Cubs.

I only started game used in Jan of 2006 and since then my collection has grown to include...

10/22 Jerseys
15/16 Bats (Ernie Banks..which I cant afford, even if I could find one)
7/22 Hats
8/22 Cleats
2 Gloves

In 2009 I expect it to slow down. Mainly because the items I need are HARDER to find, and some just much more costly.

Thanks to all that have helped me get this far, and if anyone can help me find a Sutcliffe Cubs jersey it would be GREATLY appreciatted.

dcrules01
12-21-2008, 07:52 PM
When I started a few years ago I tried buying anything Mets game used and ended up selling a lot of it.I have been lucky becauses pieces grail items I never thought I would own I have aquired recently..My collection has now started focusing on throwback Negro Leuge jerseys and late 70' early 80's Mets jerseys,That is when I started following them in 79/80 I was 8 or 9 and with the help of Nick Tnt Toys and BPH and add Andy Fogel I have aquired 6 Gamers from that era and last week picked up a Doug Flynn ceremony jersey style 79-81-82 home..Im still in search for my Joel Youngblood from that era but isnt that half the fun the hunt..

frikativ54
12-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Not really. I feel like the Jeff Bagwell stuff I want is never there. I am looking for game used cleats, and I just can't find any. I just bought a tan Louisville Jeff Bagwell game-ready fielder's glove, and I am trying to track down a black Bagwell glove as well. It is so frustrating when you can't have what you want. I have tried everyone I can think of, and I would pay good money for any of these items.

dcrules01
12-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Les if I ever come across anything for Bagwell ill shoot you an email.That is how I feel about the 96-97 Mets jerseys there just isnt any out there not sure if they were sent to the minors to be used or what but it does get frustrating.Id like to add an Mets 02 or 04 Wigginton to my collection but have never seen one..Thanks to Swoboda parting with his home white Burnitz 9/11 a few weeks ago money has been tight but I couldnt pass that up.

frikativ54
12-22-2008, 02:17 AM
Les if I ever come across anything for Bagwell ill shoot you an email.

Thanks a lot! Congrats on getting your item.

scottanservitz
12-22-2008, 10:27 AM
I'd have to say I am making great progress on my collection of game used. I collect NFL 10K running backs and have added a couple within the last month. I also collect gamer bats of HOFers and Cleveland Indians of the 90's to present. I also sometimes pick up a player I like or liked when I was growing up. The process of finding things I like and the people I meet are what really is fun. But I gotta say when I get the piece I am like a kid in a candy store! Happy holidays to everyone.

Scott

AWA85
12-24-2008, 01:11 AM
Had a little free time and have been going through my collection. Made me realize how much I have picked up in just over a year.

frikativ54
12-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Had a little free time and have been going through my collection. Made me realize how much I have picked up in just over a year.

Nice job, Adam! You should be really proud of picking up all those bats.

mariner_gamers
12-24-2008, 02:46 AM
This year, after about 4 years off, I jumped back into my quest of a gamer for every position player with an AB in Mariners history. I have filled several holes and purchased a large portion of a collection of one of my favorite Mariners. I have not felt like I have made this much progress since the late 1990's when my collection first got rolling. While the end is not quite in sight it's beginning to feel feasible for the first time since I started in 1996........