PDA

View Full Version : Olerud Red Sox jersey on ebay; opinons please

Number9
04-03-2006, 02:37 AM
Hi guys,
I am slowly working my way back into the hobby after being scared away for a few years by the fraud going on in this hobby unfortunately.
I'm interested in a John Olerud Red Sox GU jersey and have seen this one listed a few times on ebay as the seller doesn't seem to want to budge on his price.
Anyway, recognizing my time away has left me at a disadvantage, I would greatly appreciate any opinions on this Olerud jersey. Specifically I know there have been many posts on this forum about how 2005 Red Sox jerseys MUST have the additional chain-stitched set tagging in them, but there seems to be plenty of Bo-Sox jerseys being sold without it, jerseys that I believe are real, such as Mr. Steinmetz's Renteria jersey.
It also seems to me that since Olerud was a late-season pickup, there would not be a jersey prepared with the extra tagging for him, plus my understanding is the size 50 jerseys are always game used as that size is not available retail. This one is a 50 and also has the o62 tag inside.
I would appreciate your thoughts if you feel inclined to post.
Thanks.
Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOHN-OLERUD-GAME-USED-WORN-2005-HOME-RED-SOX-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ8790510208QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

Number9
04-03-2006, 03:05 AM
Please pardon the double post (and the way I misspelled 'opinions' in the topic!), but of course I was referring to the lack of STRIP-TAGGING, which I see has been covered in this topic. Any new info or updated opinions?

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1826&highlight=strip+tagging

I will add Olerud was in Boston for 87 games, for not quite half a season.
Thanks.

suave1477
04-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Number9 first of all 87 games is more then half a season, there is only a 162 games in a season.

As far as the jersey i am not an expert on Red Sox jerseys but it looks like a Majestic Authentic retail jersey, I could be wrong just sticking my 2 cents in I am sure the others would be able to help you out better.

RobSteinmetz
04-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Although there might be rare exceptions, this jersey has two characteristics not commonly found on retail jerseys. First is the size 50, second is the "0062" coded wash tag. I don't know the source of this particular Olerud, but these two characteristics prove that it was not a shirt manufactured for retail sale.

suave1477
04-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Rob I agree with you but doesnt the Majestic Authentic collection make jerseys in actual sizes which would lead me to believe they make a size 50. Also is John Olerud really that big a size 50 just by looking at him he seems a bit on the skinny side. I would think he would be more of a 46 maybe a 48?

RobSteinmetz
04-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Sizes 42, 44, 48, and 52 are standard retail sizes. Sizes 40, 46, and 50 are generally not available in retail stores. As for Olerud's size, he's listed at 6'5/220, so I don't think a 50 is out of the question.

RobSteinmetz
04-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Correction - 42, 46, 50, and 54 are not retail sizes.

Number9
04-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks Suave and Rob for your opinions and time.
I do realize there are 162 games in a season and 87 games is a little OVER half a season, thanks. I guess I had a brain lock when I typed 'not quite half a season'. Is there an edit function on this forum? or maybe I should just slow down when I type!
A far as size, I used to own a 1997 Olerud Mets GU jersey and it was a size 48 so in the era of players wearing larger baggy sizes, I think a 50 is feasible.
I am more concerned about the lack of strip tagging as many people on this forum have indicated they believe ALL Red Sox jerseys from 2005 should have that.
Thanks again to Rob and Suave for your time and assistance.