PDA

View Full Version : What determines the cost of a game used jersey?

RJB44
12-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Just curious to see what some of the collector's feedback is on how jersey prices are determined. I know part of it is based on the player, the era, and perhaps the team. For someone like me who likes 1970's -1980 era, I seem to see a very wide range. Example, I may come across a common player's 1983 road jersey for the Detroit Tigers for about $175, then I will see an 1986 Tigers road jersey for a slightly better known player (not high profile) for around $375+. Pretty much same exact jersey. Since I don't have the budget for expensive Jerseys, I typically look for common players. I collect more so for my interest in the jersey itself, rather than the player. I happen to see the 1981 Cal Ripken jersey road jersey on eBay for 75K. How is that figure of 75k established? i guess this would apply for any era jersey, a 1968 Jim Kaat twins jersey for that matter.

Thanks

Thanks

both-teams-played-hard
12-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Just curious to see what some of the collector's feedback is on how jersey prices are determined. I know part of it is based on the player, the era, and perhaps the team. For someone like me who likes 1970's -1980 era, I seem to see a very wide range. Example, I may come across a common player's 1983 road jersey for the Detroit Tigers for about $175, then I will see an 1986 Tigers road jersey for a slightly better known player (not high profile) for around $375+. Pretty much same exact jersey. Since I don't have the budget for expensive Jerseys, I typically look for common players. I collect more so for my interest in the jersey itself, rather than the player. I happen to see the 1981 Cal Ripken jersey road jersey on eBay for 75K. How is that figure of 75k established? i guess this would apply for any era jersey, a 1968 Jim Kaat twins jersey for that matter.

Thanks

Thanks

I agree. I like jerseys for their design and graphic art. I have no interest in paying a premium for a slightly more well-known player. The name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

italianchulo
12-15-2008, 12:02 AM
I place a higher value on those players who I have an affinity for. I dont buy a bat because its a bat, I buy the bat because wow mickey mantle used this. If enough collectors say wow this guy used this then the price goes up and up right?