PDA

View Full Version : Serial numbered bats in 2009?

godwulf
12-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Upgraded bats to be used by Major League Baseball next season

16 hours ago
LAS VEGAS — Scary scenes of broken maple bats sailing into the stands or dugouts soon could be a thing of the past.
At least that's what Major League Baseball hopes. All bats used in big league games soon will have their own serial numbers and ink markings for tracking, part of the first step in the sport's efforts to decrease the number of broken bats and ensure a safer environment for players and fans.
By the start of the 2009 regular season, the plan of MLB's safety and health advisory committee is that all bats will have been certified by MLB and that the 32 manufacturers making them will be held to a new list of standards surrounding their production.
"When you have a matter which is susceptible to the kind of sophisticated and detailed analysis and recommendations which this group was able to make, that can tell you what the issues are," union head Donald Fehr said Tuesday at the winter meetings. "I'm not only pleased but proud of the work that's been done. We think this is going to go a long way to solving the issue."
The committee conducted field and laboratory tests, reviewed video of breakages and consulted with manufacturers and experts to come up with nine recommendations to be adopted immediately, San Diego Padres CEO Sandy Alderson said. The committee isn't sure how many fewer bats will break this season, but is hopeful of significant progress.
During a two-month stretch last season, 2,200 broken bats were collected and 750 of those broke into multiple pieces. Also included in the count were bats that cracked but stayed in one piece. Among the committee's findings were that maple bats were three times as likely to break in multiple places as their ash counterparts. Experts insist both types of wood should break at a closer rate - and the slope of the grain is one of the primary contributors to breakage.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5j25h56IppzqS2d3uFDOTGBHgVpVA (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5j25h56IppzqS2d3uFDOTGBHgVpVA)

What effect, if any, do you forsee this having on the collector's market? It would certainly simplify i.d.ing when a bat was made, for what team a player was playing when he used it, and all that...but is there a potential downside?

allstarsplus
12-10-2008, 11:00 AM
SAM bat on the barrell end, and Rawlings and Marrucci on the knob sort of do this now. This looks like it will be more detailed and that should be good for collectors to take some of the guesswork out such as the LS and Max bats.

godwulf
12-10-2008, 11:49 AM
SAM bat on the barrell end, and Rawlings and Marrucci on the knob sort of do this now. This looks like it will be more detailed and that should be good for collectors to take some of the guesswork out such as the LS and Max bats.

I gather that this new marking system would distinguish each individual bat, though - not just a batch or order number.

allstarsplus
12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I gather that this new marking system would distinguish each individual bat, though - not just a batch or order number.

Yep, that's what I heard too! What I haven't heard is whether or not they will require a minimum diameter in the handle dimensions which seems to me the real danger is these thin handled bats.

BMH
12-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't know where the article got the information each bat will have a serial number. All MLB wants is a "born on date". Here is a list of other recommendations.

1. No Maple bat is to have more than 2.8 degree Slope of Grain for at least 2/3 length of the bat.

2. No defects in wood such as pin knots, curly wood, etc.

3. All colored Maple bats are to be half dip, no more full dip black or dark color bats. Handles must be clear or no finish.

4. A black stain spot is to be put 12 inches from the knob on the handle to determine slope of grain.

5. The production dates are to put on the knobs of bats.

6. Inspections of bats in the field and quarterly manufacturing inspections are to be carried out by a MLB approved auditor.

It doesn't sound like much, but on the average for the industry 30% of the Maple graded was over 2.8 degrees. So that amount of wood will have to made up in extra production of raw materials. The proposed implementation date is Opening Day.

Oh yeah, the big one...

7. Bat labeling is to be turned 90 degrees to rest on the Edge grain of the bat. In other words, instead of hitting "label up" you would technically be hitting with the label. Well, except that we will move the labels so you are hitting label up...The hitting of the flat grain of the bat raises the MOR of Maple by 15%-18%.

Ash is not affected by these changes.