PDA

View Full Version : Signing Basketball Jerseys

Skillz
12-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Just bought my first game used basketball jersey, showed up today and is sweet. Question for you guys: do you usually get them signed on the front, back or not at all? On the jersey number or on the jersey itself? Have seem some variety on eBay and other sites, wanted to see how the members here felt. Thanks!

both-teams-played-hard
12-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Just bought my first game used basketball jersey, showed up today and is sweet. Question for you guys: do you usually get them signed on the front, back or not at all? On the jersey number or on the jersey itself? Have seem some variety on eBay and other sites, wanted to see how the members here felt. Thanks!

Not at all. It takes at least 3 hours for a basketball game. 30 seconds to sign. Game issued or pro-cut, maybe. 3 hours of use could be tainted by 30 seconds of autograph time. Leave the gamers alone. If you must...get signed on one of the back numerals in finepoint sharpie. What did you get?

otismalibu
12-08-2008, 04:46 PM
If you decide to get it signed, make sure you already have an idea what the player's auto looks like.
Years ago, I got a customized AI 76ers game issue jersey from the team. Just like what he wore, only a couple sizes larger.
Got him to sign it after a T'Wolves game and then saw what a brutal auto he has. Wished I'd never had it signed. Looked so bad I sold it on eBay.

topekabob
12-10-2008, 01:29 AM
That's an interesting question. I think it depends on how you see the jersey. I consider my game used jerseys like pieces of art that go beyond who wore them. Their beauty is in their unique designs. Right now I have a display of 1970's and 80's NBA gamers from the NY Nets, KC Kings, Blazers (vertical name!), Hawks, Jazz, Cavaliers, Warriors, and skyline Nuggets. Mind you, my wife doesn't really think they're anything special (although she did say she liked the "strange yellow and purple one"), but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't want them signed by who wore them (for those interested: Al Skinner, Steve Johson, Johnny Davis, Kopcik, Rowland, Tellis Frank, Pete Cross, and Rich Kelly) even if they were standing here in my living room (well, Rich Kelly would have his head through the ceiling, but you get the idea). For me it mars the jersey. Others see jerseys more as player vehicles - this is especially true at sports bars where they display jerseys with their front to the wall, showing to the masses a...nameplate. That's probably a good compromise, though - having someone sign the back, if you like signatures.

By the way, adding an additional element to the above named jerseys, three of the seven have the classic "heat pressed" lettering. Ahhh...the early 80's....

Skillz
12-20-2008, 12:46 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bbcardzfan/Will%20Chandler%20Jersey/WillJersey1.jpg

Love it! Used a thin decocolor silver paint pen.