PDA

View Full Version : Blanda's Kicking Shoe?

aeneas01
12-07-2008, 07:35 AM
as i mentioned in another thread, there's a george blanda "game used" football helmet currently listed at the mastro auction that, imo, has too many problems to be an actual blanda gamer. anyway i just noticed that his "late 1960s - early 1970s oakland raiders game used kicking shoe (hof)" is also listed at mastro. although i know next to nothing about football cleats, other than the fact that i wore a pair or two during the four years i played high school football, i do know how to look at photos and game footage just like everyone else here. so imagine my surprise when i didn't come across example after example of blanda wearing the type of football shoe listed at mastro.

sure, imo it's entirely possible that blanda wore the listed shoe - but why does this shoe and so many other items that hit the auction blocks have to be the odd exception rather than the norm when it comes to what a player can clearly be seen wearing in photo after photo, film frame after film frame? anyway, here's a look at just a few of the many, many available photos of blanda through the years - for some odd reason they all show him wearing a shoe that is different than what is being auctioned at mastro. it appears that blanda favored the type of shoe with the additional mid-foot support (white band).

the bottom left photo shows the shoe up for auction at mastro - the bottom right photo shows a closeup of the type of shoe blanda seemed to prefer...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/shoes.jpg

earlywynnfan
12-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Tell me again why Mastro won't return your calls??

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

kingjammy24
12-07-2008, 11:58 AM
robert

here's a recent press release from mastro:

"Another Level of Authentication for Mastro Auctions “Legends of the Gridiron” Auction - 100% Photomatched

Mastro Auctions provides its own Letters of Authenticity for all of the game used equipment that appears in the company’s auctions. Additionally, it’s significant to note that virtually every one of the game used jerseys and helmets in our special Legends sale has been specifically photomatched to verify that the style of the item corresponds directly to its stated period of game action. To a greater degree than is the case with other sports, photomatching — and the painstaking research that accompanies those methods — is particularly important in the football collecting realm.
The diligence required to ascertain precise matching (and explain occasional anomalies) sometimes yields unexpected rewards, too.
As an example, the 1966 Jim Taylor Green Bay Packers game used jersey in the Legends sale was found, upon deep investigation, to differ from the style the Packers wore through December 18, 1966 (the date of the final game of that year’s regular season). In fact, it is an exact match of the style worn by Taylor in Super Bowl I … and it could very likely be the actual jersey he wore in that historic game! Be sure to watch our website as the exciting Legends sale approaches. We’ll be adding more and more photographic documentation (including intensive visual corroboration of the Taylor discovery) as the date of event nears, and this information will be of substantial value to serious bidders. The photomatching process — and our standard diligence in validating authenticity — is a time-consuming effort. This is especially pertinent in consideration of the fact that doing proper justice to more than 200 quality items in “Legends of the Gridiron” required an exhaustive and lengthy expenditure of resources! Anticipation for the “Legends of the Gridiron” event continues to build in the industry as December 8 comes closer … we hope to see you there!
Please note: The Guide to Prospective Bidders in our Legends Live catalog contains an erroneous statement. In the section dealing with Game Used Jerseys, the text states that PSA/DNA is involved in the authentication process. THIS IS INCORRECT. PSA/DNA is not now, nor has it ever been, involved in any way in the authentication of the game used jerseys we offer. This misprint is the result of a regrettable administrative mistake. Please disregard this error."

so there you go. every item has been "photomatched". (not really but doug enjoys using the term "photomatch" when he really means "stylematch". it sounds better even if it is grossly misleading. or "overreaching".). so just ask mastro for their "photomatch" of the blanda shoe.

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
12-07-2008, 03:44 PM
That Blanda shoe sold on eBay about 3 years ago. It was sold by a former ballboy of the Oakland Raiders. He sold some nice stuff. Including a couple of common player durenes, sideline jacket, etc. He said Blanda gave him the shoe. He also had photos of him as a kid with Blanda and other players. I would say his story was completely legit. Now, I don't know if this was Blanda's backup shoe, extra or practice? I remember a well known authenticator used the "buy it now" on one of the jerseys, before I had the chance. Check the GUF archive around 2005.

both-teams-played-hard
12-07-2008, 03:51 PM
http://www.network54.com/Forum/383222/message/1119330454/last-1119330454/Three+seconds+late%21

aeneas01
12-07-2008, 10:06 PM
That Blanda shoe sold on eBay about 3 years ago. It was sold by a former ballboy of the Oakland Raiders. He sold some nice stuff. Including a couple of common player durenes, sideline jacket, etc. He said Blanda gave him the shoe. He also had photos of him as a kid with Blanda and other players. I would say his story was completely legit. Now, I don't know if this was Blanda's backup shoe, extra or practice? I remember a well known authenticator used the "buy it now" on one of the jerseys, before I had the chance. Check the GUF archive around 2005.

interesting btph. fwiw the 17 page manifesto accompanying the blanda helmet also mentions the provenance of the shoe(s) and helmet as follows:

"what is known for a fact is that the helmet was sourced directly from blanda along with an incredible pair of vintage kicking shoes and a circa 1972 vintage raiders' game jersey. player's don't always know what they have or what they're giving to a friend, but if you add up everything here, including the provenance and the "raider way" characterized by mixed mode inconsistency, then a comfort level of significance is warranted, and the conclusions put forth against blanda's usage would appear off base; and without knowledge of team practices with regard to incosistent styles, lack of uniformity, uniform repair, care, wear, and condition."

interesting paragraph, eh? in short the author seems to claim:

1. the provenance of this stuff is rock solid which trumps any game photo/film evidence that points to the contrary.

2. the raiders' habit of handling their game used equipment back in the day was so whacky, so utterly and impossibly unpredictable, that there's no way to determine that a piece of equipment didn't belong to a specific player. it simply can't be done.

3. questioning the authenticity of any of these items is off base because it obviously demonstrates a lack of knowledge in the inner workings of the circa late 60s early 70s raiders locker room.

all very interesting considering the author also states: "player's don't always know what they have or what they're giving to a friend..." yet this stuff is obviously golden? no doubt blanda wore this elusive kicking shoe at the same time he wore the elusive helmet which is also being auctioned.

for your further entertainment, even more game photos of george sporting a kicking shoe that looks nothing like what is being offered by mastro. and there are many more such photos that are readily available....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/jbc.jpg

RKGIBSON
12-07-2008, 10:39 PM

This is the same ball boy that sold the Marcus Allen Super Bowl helmet. That gives it credibility.

Roger

aeneas01
12-08-2008, 02:10 AM
This is the same ball boy that sold the Marcus Allen Super Bowl helmet. That gives it credibility.

Roger

roger, were you being facetious or did these items indeed come from the same guy that was floating the allen sb "gamer"? further, if this is the case then how does mastro square the following comment - "what is known for a fact is that the helmet was sourced directly from blanda..." seems to me that "what is a known fact", the only known fact, is that these came from a guy that claims they came from blanda. i don't know how one can equate this with "sourced directly from blanda".

so there you go. every item has been "photomatched". (not really but doug enjoys using the term "photomatch" when he really means "stylematch". it sounds better even if it is grossly misleading. or "overreaching".). so just ask mastro for their "photomatch" of the blanda shoe.

you know rudy, there a some very nice, rather detailed, football figurines out there - perhaps mastro's authenticators came across a photo of such a figurine and mistakenly considered it a game photo and, by extension, a photo match? this might explain the shoes...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/GBlanda1A.jpg

speaking of mastro's fine print, can you help me understand the following:

Letters of Authenticity accompany every autograph and game used equipment lot offered by Mastro Auctions, and these Letters document the findings of the specific expert(s) involved in the authentication process. Mastro Auctions stands behind the authenticity of the items in the company’s auctions, and we attempt to make every effort to offer genuine material—all of which has been evaluated and authenticated by the leading experts in the hobby. Because of the due diligence we perform, it is our firm policy that the sale of any lot accompanied by a Letter of Authenticity will be considered final. All lots are available for viewing prior to the auction. ALL AUTOGRAPH AND GAME USED EQUIPMENT SALES ARE FINAL.

i always thought that when a business stated that it stood behind their work, as mastro clearly does above, it meant that the business accepted responsibility for their work. but it appears mastro has managed to revise this well-served business approach to meet their own needs - mastro is apparently willing to stand behind their work yet is unwilling to accept responsibility for it. interesting concept.

aeneas01
12-08-2008, 08:34 PM
bump for roger... is it the same guy?

aeneas01
12-09-2008, 02:51 PM
$550+ fees - at least someone didn't go crazy on this item....

otismalibu
12-09-2008, 02:55 PM
but why does this shoe and so many other items that hit the auction blocks have to be the odd exception rather than the norm when it comes to what a player can clearly be seen wearing in photo after photo, film frame after film frame?

Ooh! Ooh! *raises hand*

Pick Me!

I know the answer!!!

aeneas01
12-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Ooh! Ooh! *raises hand*

Pick Me!

I know the answer!!!

i got a "kick" out of that! :)