PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rickey a Surf Dawg in HOF?

godwulf
12-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Rickey a Surf Dawg in HOF? http://www.goldenbaseball.com/MailTemplates/Site1/images/pix.gifhttp://www.goldenbaseball.com/MailTemplates/Site1/images/pix.gifhttp://www.goldenbaseball.com/MailTemplates/Site1/images/pix.gifhttp://www.goldenbaseball.com/MailTemplates/Site1/images/pix.gifhttp://www.goldenbaseball.com/MailPics/Msg962/RickeySD2.jpg 12/3/2008

Golden Baseball League Makes Rickey Henderson $1M Hall of Fame Offer Baseball Legend Would Enter Cooperstown as a San Diego Surf Dawg

Dublin, CA. December 3, 2008) The Golden Baseball League (GBL)announced today that they have offered professional baseball superstar Rickey Henderson $1M if he elects to be enshrined in the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown as a San Diego Surf Dawg.

"Rickey played his final professional season in the Golden Baseball League in 2005 as a key member of the championship winning San Diego Surf Dawgs," said Golden Baseball League CEO David Kaval. "Cooperstown is the National Baseball Hall of Fame for professional players and the San Diego Surf Dawgs were Rickey's last professional team and one of only three teams, along with the 1989 Oakland Athletics and 1993 Toronto Blue Jays, that Rickey won a championship with. We stood by Rickey in 2005 when no major league team would sign him and continue to support him with this offer. We are confident that Rickey will be a first ballot selection and we look forward to seeing a bronzed Surf Dawg cap displayed on his Hall of Fame plaque."

Henderson played the entire 2005 season for the San Diego Surf Dawgs in the inaugural season of the Golden Baseball League, the premiere independent professional league in western North America, under Manager Terry Kennedy. He appeared in 73 of his team's 88 games, hitting .270 as he stole 16 bases and led the league with 73 walks as a 46 year old centerfielder. His team went on to post the best record in the league, led by four former Major League 1st round draft choices, and is considered one of the legendary independent professional teams of the modern era. Both coaches, plus the manager ended up signed by major league organizations along with four of the players, although not Henderson.

Rickey thrilled the GBL crowds that gathered to see him play with outstanding baseball on the field and with several uniquely Rickey moments off the field. From being ejected in the first inning during Little League Day at Tony Gwynn Stadium in San Diego and then spending the next nine inninngs in the stands rotating seats throughout the ballpark to sit with different little league teams to driving through the desert in a pickup truck with a lettuce farmer to reach Yuma by game time after being removed from his flight for not hanging up his cellphone fast enough, Rickey embraced the intimacy of the independent minors and demonstrated his love for the game regardless of where he was playing. His quest to be signed that year and spend one last day in a major league uniform and officially retire went unfulfilled. His championship game win at the end of that season was the last time he would wear a professional uniform as a player after first donning one 29 years earlier in 1976 in Boise, Idaho as a rookie in Oakland's farm system.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but would it even be allowed under MLB or Hall of Fame rules?

ironmanfan
12-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Rickey being Rickey....

All kidding aside, a few years ago, the HOF adopted a rule that they would be the ones to determine what "hat" a player would wear on their placque upon induction (probably to avoid situations such as this).

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

godwulf
12-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Rickey being Rickey....

All kidding aside, a few years ago, the HOF adopted a rule that they would be the ones to determine what "hat" a player would wear on their placque upon induction (probably to avoid situations such as this).

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

Yeah, I remember when they instituted that rule, come to think of it. I've never agreed with it, either; being a contrarian by nature, I'd actually love to see a prospective HOF'er take on the suits over something like that, and - of course - see the suits lose or back down.

That still leaves open the question, however, of whether the HOF would even permit an Independent League hat into the Hall, so to speak.

Personally, I have a feeling that in a few years, when a certain former Giant becomes technically eligible for election, the Hall of Fame is going to become a huge irrelevancy in the thinking of a lot of people, anyway...whichever way the voting goes.

AstrosCollector
12-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I think this rule came about when Wade Boggs wanted to be enshrined as a Tampa Bay Devil Ray.

joelsabi
12-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Rickey being Rickey....

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

so what is the rule or hof criteria to determine what hat you use?

ironmanfan
12-05-2008, 11:27 PM

It's basically their collective determination of which team best demonstrates/captures the overall career of the player.

I know its going back sometime, but I always thought it was weird that Jim "Catfish" Hunter's HOF placque has him wearing a hat with no team logo. I suppose at the time, Catfish couldn't decide beween the A's and Yankees and rather than alienate either one, decided to do without. The rule since instituted by the HOF, eliminates this dilema as well.

The vast majority of the time, it's a no-brainer....As in Henderson's case if he should be voted in, he will go in as an Athletic. What about Andre' Dawson, one could make a compelling argument for either the Expos & Cubs....?

godwulf
12-05-2008, 11:32 PM

I have a feeling that if you asked the ones who are tasked with making the decision - whoever that is - they'd have some kind of high-sounding verbiage ready to justify their choice. Probably something incorporating the words "best interests of the game", "best reflecting the historical impact"...blah blah blah.

What is it about Baseball - without a doubt the greatest Game ever devised - that brings out the anal-retentiveness in so many of the people who get to be in charge of it?

The player should make the call - period.

staindsox
12-05-2008, 11:39 PM
It started with Dave Winfield, who was trying to get a bidding war going between the Yankees and Padres.

Chris

godwulf
12-06-2008, 02:44 PM
It started with Dave Winfield, who was trying to get a bidding war going between the Yankees and Padres.

Chris

Really? I hadn't heard anything about that. If true, that puts things in a slightly different light, at least for me.

OaklandAsFan
12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
I always thought it started with Reggie. Didn't George guarantee him employment for life if he went in with a Yanks hat? I know it was finalized when Boggs demanded to wear a Rays hat to be the first Dray in franchise history in the Hall.

staindsox
12-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I was working at the Hall in 2001 when Winfield was inducted and they were talking about it the same time they were talking about dropping the Veteran's Committee. The word was Winfield had an offer from the Padres and he called George to match/beat the offer. I was told the response was something to the effect that we have enough Yankee hats on plaques already.