PDA

View Full Version : Who's hot, who's not

sylbry
12-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Let's hear your observations.

Hot

Bo Jackson - the bat in the Grey Flannel auction realized $782. It wasn't that long ago you could pick up his bats in the $100 range.

Don Mattingly - $2767!!! A non-HOFer is commanding 1960's HOFer prices.

Not

Rafael Palmeiro - For a 3,000 hit 500 hr guy his bats seem to be found easily in the $100 to $200 range

Andrew Jones - A HR bat went unsold in the Gray Flannel auction at $150.

SkubeBats
12-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Ryan Braun bats are hot and considered rare, you just can't find his. His bats are going anywhere between $600.00- $1000.00.

Prince Fielder bats are cold right now. Here in Wisconsin you can get his bats on the cheap end $300-$350. Do to the Brewers shopping him around this of season, you don't how much longer he will be around here.

ndevlin
12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Gemme a shout if you find a Palmeiro in that range.

SkubeBats
12-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Nate,
Give me an email I have Palmerio bat for sale.

skyking26
12-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Who's hot: Players from world championship teams who were none regulars.

Who's not: Jim Thome. You are lucky to sell a Thome bat for $300 if you wait a few years. For a 500+ guy, very low interest...

camarokids
12-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Eva Longoria- HOT :p

Rosie O'Donnell- NOT :eek:

skyking26
12-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Ryan Braun bats are hot and considered rare, you just can't find his. His bats are going anywhere between $600.00- $1000.00.

Prince Fielder bats are cold right now. Here in Wisconsin you can get his bats on the cheap end $300-$350. Do to the Brewers shopping him around this of season, you don't how much longer he will be around here.
Prince' dad Cecil owned Detroit during his stay here in the early 90's. Imported from Japan he smashed 51 HRS in 90 and kept going from there. I remember buying a bat from Taube for $425 back then. Today, if you wait it out you might find a buyer for $100 or the bats would make good firewood on a cold winters night.

I don't see Prince much differently. His weight is an issue and he does not do much to curb it just like dad. I think he'll continue to be a fine player, and very collectible, but people need to look past the hoopla of players early career numbers. It's sad when you see first and second year guys bats going for more than HOF players of yesteryear. Think with your head, not your heart...

bigtruck260
12-05-2008, 12:13 PM
From Cardinals country:

Cold:

Rolen - Bats are at $100. They were selling for a while at $3-400.
Edmonds - Same as Rolen though his bats are still rare, and sell high.

Hot:
Albert, Duh
Yadier Molina - How many bats of his have you seen for sale?
Glaus - Bats were sold out at the stadium for $400 each...they had 3-4.

Cooling:
Ryan Ludwick - People are waiting to see what he does in 2009 before plunking down serious coin on his stuff.

Ankiel - Not sure why, but his bats are popping up everywhere. There was a time when they were hard to find - and expensive. You can get one for $200 if you look around.

AWA85
12-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I agree the young player craze is really amazing. Seems like some of these items are purchased at what could be the highest price the item will ever reach. On that note still wondering if I should have placed my Jay Bruce bat on ebay when he was going on his ridiculous debut week.

Hot: seems like Braun and Longoria are the big names now.

Cold: Andruw Jones, what happened. Also from a Reds point, seems like Adam Dunn's items are cooling down a little bit.

skyking26
12-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I agree the young player craze is really amazing. Seems like some of these items are purchased at what could be the highest price the item will ever reach. On that note still wondering if I should have placed my Jay Bruce bat on ebay when he was going on his ridiculous debut week.

Hot: seems like Braun and Longoria are the big names now.

Cold: Andruw Jones, what happened. Also from a Reds point, seems like Adam Dunn's items are cooling down a little bit.
Dunn is another that falls into the Thome Zone. Does not matter what the guy does. 5 40 HR seasons in a row now and little respect or interest. I wonder if Dunn signs for a large market team if that will make a difference. Cinn and AZ obviously were not big market. I see he is rumored of interest to about 6 teams so maybe things will change...

bscott
12-05-2008, 07:57 PM
hot: longoria, braun.

not: robinson cano, miguel cabrera.

AWA85
12-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Dunn is another that falls into the Thome Zone. Does not matter what the guy does. 5 40 HR seasons in a row now and little respect or interest. I wonder if Dunn signs for a large market team if that will make a difference. Cinn and AZ obviously were not big market. I see he is rumored of interest to about 6 teams so maybe things will change...

I saw there is a chance to land with the Angels if Tex does not end up there. Would like to see the big donkey on a winning team like the Angels but we will see.

gameu08
12-05-2008, 08:57 PM
would you say now is the time to get miguel cabrera and andruw jones gamers.....I mean they still have a shot at turning it around....better chance for Cabrera then jones

Mike

skyking26
12-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I saw there is a chance to land with the Angels if Tex does not end up there. Would like to see the big donkey on a winning team like the Angels but we will see.
I saw the Angels were considering him, and with Vlad in the lineup that would be some lineup and somebody'd be protecting somebody. We'll see. I'd love to see him there, and that we he'd be in the AL so I could go see him as well. I know he wants to play the field - but having a DH option ain't all bad.

AWA85
12-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I did not realize Cabrera's stock has dropped, his items still seem like a nice purchase.

A. Jones on the other hand.... yikes, not sure if he is going to turn it around. Can't get much worse than last year, but I am not sure if he will repeat his big seasons of the past to that extent again.

geoff
12-05-2008, 09:25 PM
I have both Cabrera and Jones Game Used Bats.A few Years ago I over spent on a Cabrera Game Used Bat thinking he will be great.I still think he is a top Player and will be for Years to come.

Hot

Nick Markakis

His Game Used Items are hard to find.

TigerSteve
12-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Wow. Weird to see Cabrera on this list. I mean his numbers are some of the best in history over his first 5 years. Now if he falls off the planet like Andruw Jones in a few years I understand. Maybe I'm just biased because Cabrera's a Tiger now.

skyking26
12-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Any coldness or downward spiral for Cabrera can only be attributed to being on the Tigers. He had a fine season...

scottanservitz
12-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I agree with everyone here so far. I agree with Cabrera, he is still putting up good stats and the Tigers had an awful year. Being a Clevelander I will add:

Hot- Grady Sizemore. He is a five tool player that has a great upswing potential. He plays the game it is supposed to be played, full tilt all the time. His bats still bring a nice premium.

Cold- Travis Hafner. Ever since he was hit in the face by a pitch he is struggling mightily with the bat. I still think he can rebound, but right now you can pick up his bats for less than half of what they were a year and a half ago. Hopefully he can rebound next season, but there are a lot of skeptics.

Cold- Andruw Jones. What happened to him?????

Scott

matt
12-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Also cooling in my opinion:

Ortiz - GF Jersey went for under $700

Vlad - GF Bat for under $300

Manny Red sox stuff seems to be fading a bit too since his messy departure

Matt

nomarmauerfan
12-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Hot: Don Mattingly, Pujols, Joe Mauer (can't find any other than staindsox's bat on ebay), Justin Morneau (can't find any)

Cold: Nomar (I just picked up a bat from GF for $230 shipped). A year ago, I couldn't find one of his Red Sox bats for less than $450.

Mike

Always looking for Justin Morneau bats.

Fnazxc0114
12-05-2008, 11:20 PM
not nesasarily hot but here in dallas its dang near impossible finding a kinsler or young bat. also cant seem to find a chris davis bat since most of them were shipped off to the mlb. hamilton bats have cooled down. i will probably regret selling my kinsler but maybe another good one will show up at the pro shop

geoff
12-06-2008, 03:51 AM
Ball Park Heroes has a Chris Davis Rangers Bat.I saw it in the latest Issue of SCD.

AWA85
12-06-2008, 01:53 PM
How is the Barry Bonds market looking these days? I never really followed his prices but would not mind picking up a bat someday if the price drops.

Fnazxc0114
12-06-2008, 06:04 PM
i saw the davis but it is a spring training bat. ill wait till the rangers sale and see if they have one.