PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Tigers tag markings

kingjammy24
03-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Tigers experts..

I often run across Tigers jerseys from the 90's that have numbers written on the tags in black marker. They seem like random numbers to me; sometimes 2 digit, sometimes 3. What are these numbers? Are they written on by the Tigers? Are they numbers from the minor leagues?
What do they refer to and who writes them?

Here are some examples:

http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/2204/tigers3ru.jpg

thanks,

Rudy.

hblakewolf
03-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Rudy-
As you guessed, these markings were made once they were sent down to the minors.

As we have discussed, I purchased over 150 jerseys and warmups and dozens of helmets directly from the Tigers. Most of the jerseys were BP's and the alternate blue 1995's. Quite a few of the BP's had black numbers written on the tail tagging. This was done for inventory keeping in the minors.

I also know that Tigers equipment manager Jim Scmenkel had a fit when all of these mide 90's jerseys entered the hobby. He figured once they went to the minors, they would never surface. If you know the history with him, he strictly forbid any jerseys from entering the hobby. Every once in a while, he would allow a game worn tigers jersey to be given to a charity. You can always tell he allowed it to be given, as he writes his name on the front of the jersey near the tagging. It completely destroys the jersey!

FYI
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

BPH32
03-31-2006, 04:14 PM
I think it's an inventory number. Each player is assigned a number (not related to their uniform number) just for the clubhouse guys use to keep their stuff together when doing laundry etc. It used to be sewn in and was very confusing for people who didn't know what it was.
Thanks, Kim

hblakewolf
03-31-2006, 04:27 PM
Kim-
Indeed it is an inventiry #, however, not used by the parent team. Take a look at the example in the previous post. The inventory # you are referencing is printed directly on the strip tag. Wilson embroidered the inventory tag next to their strip tag, Russell screened it along with the size, year, etc. I assure you, the hand written numbers are not an inventory system used by Detroit, rather, the minor league affiliates.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net