PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Auction - What did you win?

dcgreg25
12-04-2008, 09:37 AM
With the Grey Flannel Auction closing last night I was wondering what some of the board members picked up in the auction. I ended up with some nice Indians Jerseys (Ramirez & Omar Vizquel TATC) as well as Cliff Lee Rookie jersey, a Sabathia 2002 jersey as well as a Sabathia GU All Star warm up jersey.

I had my eye on the Manny Ramirez rookie jersey but it went for $4K+ so I dropped out. Anybody else pick up anything good?

sctizzle
12-04-2008, 09:55 AM
I won the Brian Leetch game used signed stick. I thought it would go higher than the $360 including the hammer fee originally, but am very happy to get this stick as it is a rookie year stick. Leetch only used this model during his rookie season, and the autograph was his original signature from when he first got to the NHL, which is not as fancy as his signature is now. I was curious if some people did not bid because they did not think he used that model or the autograph was not his. I have been looking for this model stick for years and have never seen another offered. I have only seen one earlier stick, which was used in the 88 Olympics, which I own.

nomarmauerfan
12-04-2008, 10:27 AM
I won the Nomar Garciaparra 2001-2003 GU bat. I was able to style match it to Spring Training 2003. That was the year my son got his first Nomar autograph (at Spring Training), so it was something I really wanted. I really wanted the Mattingly bat. But, it got out of my price range in a hurry. The bat had a ton of use, but $2700...ouch!!! Has anyone gotten an invoiced email yet? I haven't won anything before from Grey Flannel and was wondering how long it takes to hear from them. Thanks.

Mike

hrvatwill
12-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I took a run at the 1965 game issued Yogi Berra/game worn Art Lopez Yankees jersey but was ultimately outbid, with the winning bid having come in at 2:18 am, at least as per the e-mail notification I received.

I was surprised that bidding went on for that long on the item as I had gone to bed thinking that I would be the high bidder. Per chance, did anyone on the GUF win that item? Would be interested to know.

Kid4hof03
12-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I was watching several things, the bidding seemed to not get really aggressive until late in the night. I ended up winning the 1981 Rick Cerone Yankees jersey, very happy with that one.

Abe

nate
12-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Picked up the Hank Aaron bat and Ali signed Kaufman painting. Outbid on a few items...Robinson 76 bat, Pedro and Johnson gloves. The bids were lower than I expected. Just too many nice items on my "want" list in one auction.

sylbry
12-04-2008, 11:40 AM
With the Grey Flannel Auction closing last night I was wondering what some of the board members picked up in the auction. I ended up with some nice Indians Jerseys (Ramirez & Omar Vizquel TATC) as well as Cliff Lee Rookie jersey, a Sabathia 2002 jersey as well as a Sabathia GU All Star warm up jersey.

I had my eye on the Manny Ramirez rookie jersey but it went for $4K+ so I dropped out. Anybody else pick up anything good?

That Manny TATC jersey was a steal. I paid more for a Twins Steinbach TATC jersey.

dcgreg25
12-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks sylbry, Ramirez had a HR in that game to top it off. The TATC style jersey is one of only a few recent Indians styles that I did not have. As you know, it is hard to find them as MLB seems to have burried them because of the negative PR they got.

Vintagedeputy
12-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I took a run at the 1965 game issued Yogi Berra/game worn Art Lopez Yankees jersey but was ultimately outbid, with the winning bid having come in at 2:18 am, at least as per the e-mail notification I received.

I was surprised that bidding went on for that long on the item as I had gone to bed thinking that I would be the high bidder. Per chance, did anyone on the GUF win that item? Would be interested to know.

Do you have the link for that? I'd love to see it. Lopez was one of those obscure Yankees from days gone by. I met him years ago. Kind of neat that a jersey of his remained.

hrvatwill
12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Vintagedeputy,
Here is the link:
http://greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=18788

That's very interesting that you met him, what was he like?

nomarmauerfan
12-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Has anyone received email verification that you were the winner? Just wondering how long it takes to hear from GF. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Vintagedeputy
12-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the link.

He was quiet, unassuming. Kind of happy that folks remembered him and happy to have been a Yankee.

nomarmauerfan
12-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Has anyone received email verification that you were the winner? Just wondering how long it takes to hear from GF. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Never mind. I just saw it on the website that they mail you an invoice.

Mike

earlywynnfan
12-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I just clicked on my account and printed off an invoice. It's already in the mail.

Ken

scottanservitz
12-04-2008, 04:08 PM
I won the 2004 Tiki Barber for $275 plus 20% to make it $330. Even if it is team issued it is worth more than that to me. I was surprised at many low bids. The economy is letting buyers get some good pieces for low prices.

Scott

worldchamps
12-04-2008, 05:08 PM
i agree, there have been a lot of posts regarding the economy and is it affecting gu. well i think the real high end items still did well, but the more common modern stuff took a big beating. i consigned 2 items and am very disappointed in the outcomes.

TNTtoys
12-04-2008, 05:29 PM
With the Grey Flannel Auction closing last night I was wondering what some of the board members picked up in the auction. I ended up with some nice Indians Jerseys (Ramirez & Omar Vizquel TATC)

Greg,

I am hoping you can comment on this being that you bought 2 TATC Indians jerseys last night. Is there a tell-tale sign on the jersey that makes it obvious that it is a game worn jersey and not a retail authentic with custom lettering.

Refer to the link below...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Indians-Authentic-TATC-Navy-Jersey-13-Vizquel-Size-48_W0QQitemZ380063175427QQihZ025QQcategoryZ24893QQ ssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638 Q2em118Q2el1247

Center Star Sports does a fantastic job with the lettering on blank retail authentics, using the same exact silver glitter twill material and the same font. I have several jerseys that have been lettered this way, and they are all great unique pieces within my niche TATC collection. What scares me is what if one of these jerseys somehow makes it out into the market with the guise of "rare game used jersey"? Is there any way you could tell the difference?

Thanks,
Nick

nomarmauerfan
12-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I just clicked on my account and printed off an invoice. It's already in the mail.

Ken

Ken,
Thank you very much. You just saved me a lot of time. I appreciate the help.

Mike

mfsquirrelmaster
12-05-2008, 03:16 AM
Outbid on a couple basketball items at like 2:30am including that game worn Baron Davis jersey with the NBA LOA!

dcgreg25
12-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Nick, I did some extensive research to address just that issue before bidding on the jerseys. I was able to actually track down some video from the actual game and did some extensive matching as it relates to placement, spacing etc. on the backs of the jerseys.

Grey Flannel was also helpful as it relates to answering questions about the consigner/sourcing for the jerseys and they do come with a COA from the team. However, I did not just rely on that as the Indians team COA's range from being completely generic to being very specific. I actually called the team and got some good questions answered. I dug deep enough that I was comfortable enough to buy the jerseys. I will post some more on this project in the near future once I receive the jerseys and take close up pics, etc. Thanks.

dcgreg25
12-05-2008, 11:17 AM
i agree, there have been a lot of posts regarding the economy and is it affecting gu. well i think the real high end items still did well, but the more common modern stuff took a big beating. i consigned 2 items and am very disappointed in the outcomes.

worldchamps, just curious, if you dont mind me asking- what items did you consign?

Sonny25
12-05-2008, 08:30 PM
I stayed up until about 4am as the highest bidder on the Rick Barry Summer League jersey, the Larry Johnson jersey & the 1958 New York Giants basketball jersey.

I ended up passing out & lost out on every single one.

I would of gladly paid more than what they ended up going for, oh well, it's my own fault.

Sonny25
12-05-2008, 08:34 PM
During their HOF auction in September I put in a couple bids for the Away K. State Beasley jersey but was easily outbid.

That jersey ended up selling for $9,000.
A white Home K.State Beasley jersey just went for $600. lol

both-teams-played-hard
12-05-2008, 08:53 PM
I stayed up until about 4am as the highest bidder on the Rick Barry Summer League jersey, the Larry Johnson jersey & the 1958 New York Giants basketball jersey.

I ended up passing out & lost out on every single one.

I would of gladly paid more than what they ended up going for, oh well, it's my own fault.

Sonny
What do you know about the Giants basketball Jersey. Aside from searching "new york giants 1958 basketball". Yea, they had a team that played the G'trotters...but who says they used this jersey? Wouldn't you like a photo-reference? Trusting GF on blind faith alone, may not be wise. It may be what they say...but let's see some sorta photo or something. Also, this exact jersey sold on eBay within the last 7 months for around fifty bucks.

High school teams with "GIANTS" mascot:
Keystone Coll. PA, , Ganesha HS CA, Alden-Hebron HS IL, Highland Park HS IL, Indianapolis Ben Davis HS IN, Marion HS IN, Jena HS LA, Shreveport Green Oaks HS LA, LeSueur-Henderson HS MN, Mesabi East HS MN

33bird
12-06-2008, 09:15 PM
I won the Joe Cribbs 1981 Bills/ Pro bowl jersey. He was my favorite Bills players as a kid. I also thought I had the Rodman Lakers jersey won but lost out on that one late too.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com