PDA

View Full Version : Autographed Baseball Display Cases! UV Protection???

camarokids
12-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Title says it all. I am looking on ebay and found a case that says UV protection.....

Do you think it really works?????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370120196780&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=024

camarokids
12-01-2008, 09:51 PM
The case maker says they offer 98% UV Protection, what about the 2%????

Kind of like Lysol says it kills 99.99% of germs on contact.

What about the 0.01% ? will it kill ya????

GarkoCollector
12-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Keep it out of the sun and you will be fine. The UV that comes off of a lightbulb isnt going to hurt a ball. Direct sunlight will kill it though.

David
12-02-2008, 01:33 PM
The UV protection wouldn't prevent damage but would slow it quite a bit. UV protecting glass is commonly used for paper items like antique movie posters and expensive paintings.

Even with the UV protection, it's still advisable to display item away from direct light-- as the above poster already noted.

In short, UV protecting glass would offer extra protection from damaging UV rays, whether the UV in light bulbs or sunlight.

It should be noted that glass naturally blocks some UV rays, but an extra coating is added to the UV protecting glass to block a fuller spectrum.

David
12-02-2008, 01:37 PM
One other thing. I'm not entirely sure the whole way autographs baseballs tone and discolor (I've collected autographed baseballs myself). Sunlight and UV rays likely causes damage, including fading inc. However, as a ball is made out of leather, air, humidity, heat and even natural aging, may cause some of the damage to the ball. As some can likely attest, a ball can tone and spot if left in a box in the back a closet.

But, again, UV protecting glass would definitely be helpful in preserving items.

costas
12-02-2008, 05:53 PM
what about acid? doesn't that also play a role in deteriorating items?

David
12-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Acid is involved when one material is pressed against another. For example, people frame a print in an acid free matte. It's not an issue with the glass in this display, unless the glass is pressed directly up against your baseballs or photo. Also, I'm not sure that glass is acidic anyway (Don't quote me on that). Though it could be an issue with a ball holder. Some plastics are acific, but the most common offenders in the collecting world are paper, cardboard and wood.

David
12-02-2008, 11:29 PM
I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that most modern baseball holders, including cubes, are made out of acid free plastics. So acid probably isn't a worry for baseball collectors.

If there are acid free and UVA/UVB protecting holders, obviously that would be great. Maybe there are.

David
12-02-2008, 11:40 PM
A very cursory google search showed that Pro Mold and Ultra-Pro says their plastic cube baseball holders are acid free.

camarokids
12-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks for all your input.....

I ordered the case. I will have it next Monday.....

I will post pics....

David
12-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Another cause of damage and aging to art and collectibles is dust, stains etc from the outside air over time. This is just another reason why a glass display case or ball cube is good.

camarokids
12-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all your input.....

I ordered the case. I will have it next Monday.....

I will post pics....

I have the case up and it is almost full.....

In a few week I will have my bat racks and the "Man Cave" will be looking good....

eisenreich8
12-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I am very partial to these cases, I have 4 of them (so far) and they are high quality, nice looking and mine have UV glass panels in the doors. I love 'em. The ones I have are in cherry:

http://www.egiftboutique.com/cgi-bin/egb/egb.cgi?product_detail=DC6305&cart_id=226131484.3480&page=

earlywynnfan
12-20-2008, 01:17 PM
what's the collection, and who are you needing to fill those holes?

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

camarokids
12-20-2008, 03:04 PM
what's the collection, and who are you needing to fill those holes?

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Hey Ken,
It is my Devil Rays Team Ball Collection 1998-2008. I just scored an OML 2008 World Series Ball that is Team Signed by 25 players, that completed the collection. I have many duplicates of different years. There is four single signed balls in there.
Joe Kennedy, Larry Rothschild, Damian Rolls and a personalized Wade Boggs.

I only have one complete 2000 team ball, so I would not mind having another.

camarokids
12-20-2008, 03:06 PM
I am very partial to these cases, I have 4 of them (so far) and they are high quality, nice looking and mine have UV glass panels in the doors. I love 'em. The ones I have are in cherry:

http://www.egiftboutique.com/cgi-bin/egb/egb.cgi?product_detail=DC6305&cart_id=226131484.3480&page=

I love mine as well, it has 98% UV Protection as well. They told for approximately $100.00 more I could go 100%. But they felt I would be wasting my money. The case is not getting any direct sunlight.