PDA

View Full Version : Whats a better value?

joelsabi
11-26-2008, 11:38 AM
the wayne gretzky honus wagner card or mcfarlane 63rd HR baseball? and why.

harpt
11-26-2008, 11:59 AM
I always wonder how many of those Honus Wagner cards are out there and yet to be discovered. Let's say something crazy happens and 5 of those cards are found in different attics over time...some of them in nice shape. I realize this is highly unlikely, but it is at least possible. These discoveries, obviously, would have an effect on the price of each of these cards.

The thing a home run ball has going for it...in my opinion...is that it will always be the only one; noone will ever uncover the same ball at a flea market. There will be more homerun balls...some more significant...but the one you have can not be replaced and holds it's historical value, even when dollar value goes down because records get broken, and player's reputations are questioned, etc.

I guess I didn't really answer the question at all.

bigtruck260
11-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Value? Wow, we are talking about a card that has a strong possibility of being trimmed vs. a ball that might have been tainted with the steroid era.

Both are over-valued. The Wagner card in any condition is selling great these days, but for $2 million, I'll take a nice house and a Saleen S7. The only thing going for it is the controversy and noteriety. How many cards have had as much press? There was an entire book dedicated to it...The Card - which is a great read, and will open your eyes to card grading.

As far as the 62nd (I assumed you meant the record-breaker) Mac Ball....this ball was part of a major historical event in the history of baseball. Even if both Mac and Sammy took illegal steroids (neither was PROVEN guilty)...the ball still has value as a historical piece - kind of like the stuff from the Black Sox scandal. They brought the sport to levels it had never been to.

In time, there will be other Wagner cards to surface - like Scott mentioned. If you meant the 63rd ball, since #62 is in Mac's collection, it's not as valuable to me - personally. It is kind of like Aaron's 716th...what did that go for?

joelsabi
11-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Value? Wow, we are talking about a card that has a strong possibility of being trimmed vs. a ball that might have been tainted with the steroid era.

Both are over-valued. The Wagner card in any condition is selling great these days, but for $2 million, I'll take a nice house and a Saleen S7. The only thing going for it is the controversy and noteriety. How many cards have had as much press? There was an entire book dedicated to it...The Card - which is a great read, and will open your eyes to card grading.

As far as the 62nd (I assumed you meant the record-breaker) Mac Ball....this ball was part of a major historical event in the history of baseball. Even if both Mac and Sammy took illegal steroids (neither was PROVEN guilty)...the ball still has value as a historical piece - kind of like the stuff from the Black Sox scandal. They brought the sport to levels it had never been to.

In time, there will be other Wagner cards to surface - like Scott mentioned. If you meant the 63rd ball, since #62 is in Mac's collection, it's not as valuable to me - personally. It is kind of like Aaron's 716th...what did that go for?

yes to clarify the single season record breaking hr baseball. dont know who owns that baseball.

bigtruck260
11-26-2008, 01:28 PM
yes to clarify the single season record breaking hr baseball. dont know who owns that baseball.

Joel - as far as I know, Mac still owns #62. It was quite a big deal here in STL, as a grounds keeper found the ball and presented it to Mac after the game ended. His name is Tim Forneris.

joelsabi
11-26-2008, 02:20 PM
quick google.

McFarlane is doing something positive with the McGwire ball. He also owns six other McGwire home-run balls from 1998 -- Nos. 1, 63, 64, 67, 68 and 69 -- and three Sammy Sosa home-run balls -- Nos. 33, 61 and 66.

Should have done some research but was trying to compare the most expensive card to the most expensive game used item.

Mark McGwire's 70th HR ball sold for $3.1 million and I think THE Card sold privately for around $2.4 million recently.

So which is a better value and why.

Thought this would be interesting to hear people's opinions on this,.

joelsabi
11-26-2008, 10:07 PM
I always wonder how many of those Honus Wagner cards are out there and yet to be discovered. Let's say something crazy happens and 5 of those cards are found in different attics over time...some of them in nice shape. I realize this is highly unlikely, but it is at least possible. These discoveries, obviously, would have an effect on the price of each of these cards.

I doubt there will be a cleaner Honus Wagner card out there so i dont think future discoveries will be the best example out ther. It should not effect the price of that PSA 8 card.

joelsabi
11-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Joel - as far as I know, Mac still owns #62. It was quite a big deal here in STL, as a grounds keeper found the ball and presented it to Mac after the game ended. His name is Tim Forneris.

Dave, You are correct. Spoken like a true Cardinal Fan

panthrotc
12-11-2008, 02:54 PM

you are wrong sir. THe 62 HR ball is currently in the HOF along with the bat mac used to hit it.

suave1477
12-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Just to point out as far as the Honus Wagner card, even if more were discovered years later example 1 to 5 cards would have no effect on value because of it still being one of the most rarest cards, desired cards, and in decent conditions cards to come across.

The only possible way the value would change on a Honus Wagner card if someone found a box of 250 of them in there attic in pristine condition.

bigtruck260
12-11-2008, 03:16 PM
you are wrong sir. THe 62 HR ball is currently in the HOF along with the bat mac used to hit it.

You are right. We were just talking about this over the weekend...
I wonder how much of his baseball stuff he really has laying around his crib?

Anyway, one of my buddies mentioned that stuff from #62 is in the Hall.

panthrotc
12-20-2008, 02:41 AM
You are right. We were just talking about this over the weekend...
I wonder how much of his baseball stuff he really has laying around his crib?

Anyway, one of my buddies mentioned that stuff from #62 is in the Hall.

mcgwire got rid of everything from the 98 season. I heard him say it himself in an interview he did back after he retired on espn and i heard again in a interview that was done a couple years ago. He gave all of the magical season stuff to family, friends, coaches, umpires and players. I dont know what he has left from the a's days, i know he has his ROY award in storage and he definately still has his 89 world series ring.

bigtruck260
12-20-2008, 05:01 AM
mcgwire got rid of everything from the 98 season. I heard him say it himself in an interview he did back after he retired on espn and i heard again in a interview that was done a couple years ago. He gave all of the magical season stuff to family, friends, coaches, umpires and players. I dont know what he has left from the a's days, i know he has his ROY award in storage and he definately still has his 89 world series ring.

I know that Cards wheeled out a red Corvette when he hit #62 too. I think it was a '62 convertible. He only drove it a few times before it shot craps on him. I wonder where it went...?

His ex-wife's current husband is a dealer/body guy in CA, maybe he knows...anyway, looks like Mac is putting the past behind him literally.
If he ever makes it to the hall (no arguments here, don't want to hijack the thread)...will he wear the A's hat or the Card's hat? Seems he got most of his major accomplishments in STL - Aside from ROY and the homer mark he tied that season.

Crazy that he'd get rid of it ALL.

mr.miracle
07-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Looks like Big Mac does not have much of anything left period.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/75A91E269065599E862574BC003D3980?OpenDocument

McGwire is long on memories but short on actual memorabilia. This is by choice.

Other than a picture in his office of son Matt and himself around a batting cage in 1998, McGwire said, "I don’t know if I have one piece of any memorabilia from that year. I know what I did with it. I gave everything away. I gave away all my shoes, all my jerseys, all my batting gloves, all my bats — to all the players and coaches, visiting players, umpires, family members and friends. Even Bobby Knight has some stuff.

"People asked me, ‘Why aren’t you keeping any of this for yourself?’ I said, ‘You know what? I have the memories in my mind and that means more than having something special.’ I wanted everybody on my team, my friends, my opponents to have a piece of this."

joelsabi
07-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Looks like Big Mac does not have much of anything left period.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/75A91E269065599E862574BC003D3980?OpenDocument

McGwire is long on memories but short on actual memorabilia. This is by choice.

Other than a picture in his office of son Matt and himself around a batting cage in 1998, McGwire said, "I don’t know if I have one piece of any memorabilia from that year. I know what I did with it. I gave everything away. I gave away all my shoes, all my jerseys, all my batting gloves, all my bats — to all the players and coaches, visiting players, umpires, family members and friends. Even Bobby Knight has some stuff.

"People asked me, ‘Why aren’t you keeping any of this for yourself?’ I said, ‘You know what? I have the memories in my mind and that means more than having something special.’ I wanted everybody on my team, my friends, my opponents to have a piece of this."

Nice article.

McGuire experienced the memory. McGuire tried to share his memory through momentos/objects to people he cared about that had witnessed his memory.

jonincleve
07-04-2009, 05:43 PM
just caught this thread, i missed it the first time by. quick story, when mcnall/gretzky sold their card they sold it to wal-mart as part of a giveaway. i actually won a chance at the card at the local wal-mart. my name was pulled and i had a 1 in 4000 shot at winning the wagner card. they drew the winners name on larry king live. all the name were in this big hopper that got spun around. talk about doing some praying. the worst part about it is i would have had to sell the card to pay the taxes. the winner sold it at auction for i believe $630,000. her name is patricia gibbs....not that i would remember that at all!!!! if there were no tax consequences i would have kept the card.

take care
john

joelsabi
07-04-2009, 11:16 PM
just caught this thread, i missed it the first time by. quick story, when mcnall/gretzky sold their card they sold it to wal-mart as part of a giveaway. i actually won a chance at the card at the local wal-mart. my name was pulled and i had a 1 in 4000 shot at winning the wagner card. they drew the winners name on larry king live. all the name were in this big hopper that got spun around. talk about doing some praying. the worst part about it is i would have had to sell the card to pay the taxes. the winner sold it at auction for i believe $630,000. her name is patricia gibbs....not that i would remember that at all!!!! if there were no tax consequences i would have kept the card.

take care
john

read about how she didnt even have cable so there was no chance she saw the drawing. she worked for the post office and some person who worked for an auction made a personal pitch to have their auction house sell off the card by getting in the postal line to talk to her.

David
07-05-2009, 03:08 AM
The Gretzky T206 Honus Wagner is and always will be worth more than the McGwire home run ball.