PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Spam Private Emails To GUU Members

JimCaravello
11-24-2008, 07:16 AM
I received this e-mail from a GUU Member yesterday which is a complete hoax. It is amazing, as when I responded to the e-mail, I received an identical message back and apparently who ever sent the e-mail has the ability to cut off messages before they are received by the recipient as I know I used the correct GUU member's e-mail address in responding ( I even typed it from scratch instead of just replying ) - or maybe the e-mail account has been suspended for some reason and has been hacked. In any event - be alert as you correspond with GUU members. I am sure this is someone overseas who sent the original message to me. Here is the message received ( which this member who I know pretty well would never send to me )............

How are you doing today? I am sorry i didn't inform you about my traveling
to Africa for a program called "Empowering Youth to Fight Racism, HIV/AIDS,

Poverty and Lack of Education, the program is taking place in three major
countries in Africa which is Ghana , South Africa and Nigeria . It as been a
very

sad and bad moment for me, the present condition that i found myself is very
hard for me to explain.

I am really stranded in Nigeria because I forgot my little bag in the Taxi
where my money, passport, documents and other valuable things were kept on my

way to the Hotel am staying, I am facing a hard time here because i have no
money on me. I am now owning a hotel bill of $ 1000 and they wanted me to

pay the bill soon else they will have to seize my bag and hand me over to the
Hotel Management., I need this help from you urgently to help me back home, I

need you to help me with the hotel bill and i will also need $1500 to feed and
help myself back home so please can you help me with a sum of $2500 to sort

out my problems here? I need this help so much and on time because i am in a
terrible and tight situation here, I don't even have money to feed myself
for a

day which means i had been starving so please understand how urgent i needed
your help.

I am sending you this e-mail from the city Library and I only have 30 min, I
will appreciate what so ever you can afford to send me for now and I promise to

pay back your money as soon as i return home so please let me know on time so
that i can forward you the details you need to transfer the money through

Money Gram or Western Union.

Thank you very much for your time. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Best Regards,

godwulf
11-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Gosh, Jim, are you sure it's a hoax?

Sure sounds sincere and legitimate to me! :rolleyes:

JimCaravello
11-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Just one point to make - the GUU system has not been hacked into - the e-mail was sent directly to my e-mail address from a GUU member's personal e-mail. Someone is looking at the site and pulling e-mail addresses off of different posts - the GUU system and contacting members through that system is safe - Jim

camarokids
11-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I have temporarily pulled my email from signature, thanks for the info...

mwbosoxfan
11-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Just one point to make - the GUU system has not been hacked into - the e-mail was sent directly to my e-mail address from a GUU member's personal e-mail. Someone is looking at the site and pulling e-mail addresses off of different posts - the GUU system and contacting members through that system is safe - Jim

I don't know how this works, but the same thing happened to our family. We send a monthly family e-mail around every month. Someone starts it, and then everyone adds their information, and replys to all. Everyone in the family got a similar dire straights e-mail from a family member saying he was stranded in a foreign country. Easy to say, we all know it wasn't true. Obviously, the hacker was able to get into the one family members address book, or intercept one of the family e-mails. Luckily, no one responded to the hoax.

earlywynnfan
11-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Are you sure someone obtained this email address through GUF? Perhaps that person had your email saved as a contact, and got hacked. A couple months ago, mine got hacked. Not only did my contacts get erased, but I also emailed all my friends and offered to sell them a computer! (Does anyone actually fall for these scams?)

Ken

JimCaravello
11-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Had to be from e-mails on the site as when I tested them for more information, they brought up topics from posts - very interesting stuff to say the least............

genius
11-24-2008, 12:03 PM
This is going around the web, could have come from anywhere. I received one on my company email from a colleague in Canada, from his personal email address, that was virtually identical.

MSpecht
11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
To all my friends out there--- I just partnered up with some guy from Nigeria and am due to receive a little over $ 3,000,000.00 in just a few days. I am hoping to locate a St Pat's green Ripken jersey and maybe another Sid Luckman jersey (without paint)---my Holy Grails.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

MSpecht
11-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Wow-- and this "supposedly" came from FedEx---

From Williams .C. ADAM (ESQ) verification no: (PX002)
Good Day!

I have been waiting for you since to come down here and pick your Cashiers Cheque but did not hear from you since that time. So i went to the bank to confirm if the draft is getting close to expire and the Manager of the bank told me that before the draft will get to your address that it will expire. Then I told him to help me and cash the bank draft of $1.5 million to cash payment.

However, The Bank Manager have successfully cashed the draft and packaged your Cash in a Diplomatic Cargo box and had registered it in the FEDEX EXPRESS COURIER COMPANY here in Benin Republic because i am travelling to see my boss and will not come back soon.

You have to contact FEDEX EXPRESS COURIER COMPANY to know when they will deliver your package to your address.
CONTACT FEDEX EXPRESS COURIER COMPANY WITH THE INFORMATION BELOW/

NAME: DR BRENDON DEMAS
CONTACT PHONE NUMBERS: +229-9389-0644 /+229-9859-3363/ +22996036772
E-MAIL:
Please, Send them your contacts information to able them locate you immediately they arrived in your country with your Diplomatic BOX.

This is the information they need from you.
1. YOUR FULL NAME.
2. YOUR HOME ADDRESS.
3. YOUR CURRENT MOBILE NUMBER.
4. YOUR VERIFICATION CODE - (PX002)

Try to contact FEDEX EXPRESS COURIER COMPANY as soon as possible to enable them release your consignment to you. I gave them your delivering address but you have to reconfirm it to them again to avoid any mistake in the delivery.

I have paid for the delivering charges. Also ask them how much the insurance fees will cost you. The only money you have to send to them is their INSURANCE FEE to receive your package which will be a token. I could have paid for the insurance fees, but due to some prevailing circumstance beyond my control.

Note; I didn't tell FEDEX EXPRESS COURIER COMPANY that it's money inside the box, I registered it as a package of an African cloths/Family Valuables. This is to avoid delaying or any upfront problem during the delivery, So do not let them know that the package contents money inside until you have received it in your house address, this is the code which you will send to them for verifications (PX002).

Do let me know as soon as you received your package. Contact me by email as i am travelling out side the country today.

Best Regards,
Williams .C. ADAM (ESQ)

As the Duty Sgt used to say on Hill Street Blues---

"Be careful out there..."

Mike

camarokids
11-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Wow , that is awesome:rolleyes:! When you get the 1.5 million, can you please send me some money? I only want, oh lets see, a 100K.....:D

earlywynnfan
11-26-2008, 11:29 AM
I don't know what has happened, but starting about 2 weeks ago, my email account has been deluged with spam. I've gotten about 25 emails per day, from the old Nigerian King story to winning the English lottery to one that said it was a job offer from AIG! (I delete them so fast that I didn't get a chance to open the job offer.) I'm a peaceful guy by nature, but I'd sure like to meet up with whomever sold my email address to these scammers in a dark alley with my Jim Rice bat in hand!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

BoneRubbedBat
11-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Ken,

You bring Mr. Rice, I'll bring Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.

raider1088
11-26-2008, 05:02 PM
i got the same thing for at least the last 2 weeks i've been getting everything from i hit the enbglish lottery to dead chinamen is looking to leave me millions of dollars.it's getting out of hand.

zookerman182
11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
I am getting between 10-15 of these per day and im very close to changing my email address. I cant stand it. I also cant block the email address because each one is from a different one and i have reported them all to yahoo as spam and it seems every time i do that, even more end up comming in. Its terrible

Neely8
11-27-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm still waiting for my check from Bill Gates!!

ChrisCavalier
11-27-2008, 10:51 AM
As many have already seen, this is the reason Game Used Universe is so adamant about protecting the privacy of its members. Needless to say, we do not compromise the privacy of those in our database. In addition, if anyone receives any undesired and/or unsolicited emails from any member who pulls your email address off the site (we cannot control members publicly posting their email addresses on the site) just let us know and the member sending the unsolicited emails will be banned from GUU.

Sorry to have to post about something so unpleasant on Thanksgiving but I also get spam emails myself it is not something we condone or will allow through GUU.

On a more positive note, I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

HENMICK44
12-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Wow another one of my cousins died in a plane crash in Africa and left me everything.I've been getting these emails everyday for the last two weeks. Has this been happening to alot of members?

GarkoCollector
12-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Funny, the spam emails I am getting are offering to:
"INCREAZE THE SIZE OF YOUR PENIX 4"-5.5" in 90 DAYS!"

cohibasmoker
12-04-2008, 08:50 AM
To all my friends out there--- I just partnered up with some guy from Nigeria and am due to receive a little over $ 3,000,000.00 in just a few days. I am hoping to locate a St Pat's green Ripken jersey and maybe another Sid Luckman jersey (without paint)---my Holy Grails.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Got the same email. They must have thought I was related to Mr. Obama to I forwarded it to the White House.

Jim