PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Ryan Game Used Rangers Jersey - Please Help

wtflash
11-22-2008, 10:24 PM
I have a Nolan Ryan Signed Jersey from the 1990 Season that was obtained from a very reliable source. She claims that it is a game used jersey but would like some other opinions. I have read some other posts and seen some photos of Ryan wearing Rawlings jerseys. Any info would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Sean Jacoby
seanjacoby@americaniconautographs.com

wtflash
11-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Here is another photo

kingjammy24
11-23-2008, 12:11 AM
hi sean

the photos that many have seen of ryan wearing a rawlings shirt are, in my opinion, from spring training. MEARS once authenticated a ryan rawlings shirt as a legit gamer and in the worksheet noted that they believed it was a regular season gamer solely due to the fact that the photos show a "dense crowd", thereby indicating a regular season game. sort of unbelievable when you think about it, the notion that a spring training game couldn't be packed. if you'll look closely at the photos, they don't seem to resemble any major league park at the time.

around the 1990 and 1991 timeframe, Scoreboard produced several jerseys, with perfect "pro" tagging for the sole purpose of reselling them. i believe ryan was one of the players and i believe the shirt you have is most likely a Scoreboard shirt. i say this because i've seen several ryan rawlings shirts, with identical tagging, all autographed. it's the Scoreboard M.O. it's true that you may possibly have one of the very rare ryan rawlings shirts that ryan used during spring training but against the Scoreboard shirts it would be almost impossible to discern.

rudy.

kingjammy24
11-23-2008, 12:17 AM
sean

here are a couple:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=6930

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=4045

they seem to span 1989-1991.

again, i too have seen the photos of ryan in a rawlings shirt but have no clue how one would know whether a shirt in question was really one of the rare, legit ryan rawlings gamers or a scoreboard shirt. seems like an impossible task.

rudy.

wtflash
11-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the info. One thing that really makes me think twice is that the jerseys that I have seen that are not game used, such as the ones you posted from American Memorabilia are from 1991. Authenticating game use is such a tough task and never buy anything unless it is directly from the players.

kingjammy24
11-23-2008, 02:39 PM
one odd thing is that the rawlings ryan shirts i've seen never seen to exhibit similar wear to their legit goodman counterparts. the rawlings shirts i've seen all seem to be pretty crisp. one would think that a legit ryan rawlings shirt would exhibit similar wear to a legit goodman counterpart.

rudy.