PDA

View Full Version : recent good buys? recent bad sells? (economy)

bscott
11-22-2008, 06:23 PM
To anyone: has the bad economy has affected prices of game used items?

anyone get a great deal on anything recently?

or has anyone had to sell an item recently for much less than it used to be worth?

bigtruck260
11-22-2008, 08:27 PM
The economy stinks...

I onky have space in my office (sports room) for about 30-40 bats and some large photos, etc. I was trying to move some stuff to make space for some new displays I have in progress.

Case in point...

So Taguchi was not a huge name in MLB, but he was a Cardinal fan favorite, is the first Cards Japanese player, and the first to have a WS ring (and he won another with Philly this year). I bought the bat from a fellow collector in STL for $200 in 2007 when I was in the process of collecting all of the Cards outfielders from the past 25 years. I felt that the bat was worth it, consdering I had seen several others go between 175-500 bucks.

I recently changed my collecting target, and SO was not part of the future plan. SO, stupidly, I listed him on eBay for a starting bid of $299 or best offer...planning on taking the first best offer at $150 or more...
No sale, no offers. I re-listed again...starting bid of 99 cents reserve of $150 - made it to $102. Re-listed again for $110 and sold to a Japanese buyer.

The point is, it was a terrific bat that I bought at fair market value, that I sold at an $80 loss - to a person overseas. Sad, really.