PDA

View Full Version : Is it appropriate for an employee of an authentication company?

3arod13
11-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Do you think an employee of an authentication company should be able to have their items authenticated by that company? And if they do, and post them on ebay and state in their auction they are an employee of that company, then that's ok?

I find that if you are an employee, you all probably know just like I do, the authentication and grade will be more favorable. That's just how it is.

Your thoughts?

Regards, Tony

joelsabi
11-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Do you think an employee of an authentication company should be able to have their items authenticated by that company? And if they do, and post them on ebay and state in their auction they are an employee of that company, then that's ok?

I find that if you are an employee, you all probably know just like I do, the authentication and grade will be more favorable. That's just how it is.

Your thoughts?

Regards, Tony

tough call. i think there is a conflict of interest. at the same time, if you want the best authenticator its hard to not go to your company. how was this disclosed on the ebay description?

mvandor
11-22-2008, 09:56 AM
I think this horse has been beaten to death. The current standards call for disclosure, sounds like that was done. Frankly, I don't think it's better for employees of one authentication company to send items to another, it'll just result in an "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" scenario anyway.

Sorta like the way my brother badges his way outa traffic stops even outside his jurisdiction as a DA's Investigator. "Professional courtesy".

ironmanfan
11-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Where would you suggest this employee go for authenication?

3arod13
11-22-2008, 10:19 AM
As Joel stated, "i think there is a conflict of interest." That was my initial thought also.

Never saw past discussions about this. Just came across this scenario the other day and was just curious what others thought.

Let me ask you this. If this was done, would you trust the grade? I'm sure many wouldn't care, because if the company is a good one, and the grade is high, then that's ok.

kingjammy24
11-22-2008, 12:51 PM
tony,

if you're in the mood to wallow in a great, big, conflict of interest debate:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=20630

it's hard to think you missed that current thread. although, the title of the thread is a little misleading.

rudy.