PDA

View Full Version : OT: honesty and integrity

momen55
11-19-2008, 10:53 AM
ebay is full of people that sell garbage as well as stuff not as described. it is sometimes hard to make something out so you have to depend on the seller to describe as accurate as possible and be honest about it. that is the chance we take with ebay. buyer beware i guess.

i would say that most of us here are pretty honest in how we deal with folks and would expect the same. unfortunately there are those that aren't, including here, and that should not be. i for one don't appreciate being taken, and i think most of you feel the same.

if the person agrees to work something out, great. if not, well, then there is no place for them on here. that is what i feel and if someone wants to chime in feel free. i don't think i am out of hand for this comment.

nyjetsfan14
11-19-2008, 11:10 AM
ebay is full of people that sell garbage as well as stuff not as described. it is sometimes hard to make something out so you have to depend on the seller to describe as accurate as possible and be honest about it. that is the chance we take with ebay. buyer beware i guess.

i would say that most of us here are pretty honest in how we deal with folks and would expect the same. unfortunately there are those that aren't, including here, and that should not be. i for one don't appreciate being taken, and i think most of you feel the same.

if the person agrees to work something out, great. if not, well, then there is no place for them on here. that is what i feel and if someone wants to chime in feel free. i don't think i am out of hand for this comment.

As it pertains to e-Bay how many times has someone found a steal or gem at a great price because of the lack of description or details? But when it backfires on us we tend to get upset and vent - hypocrisy we are probably all guilty of at times. I have gotten some great stuff on e-Bay simply because it was not listed correctly, had a poor description, or lacked thorough details. On the other hand I have been burned trying or thinking I was gonna get that "steal." The point is I try to take the good with the bad. If I have a true concern about the item I ask as many questions as possible before I make the commitment to purchase it. If I am trying to get that "deal" we all look for I try not to ask any questions and take my chances or you might find the seller ending the auction and maybe even send his/her item on to an auction house depending on what it is. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

10thMan
11-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Biggest Issue I have with online Purchases is dishonesty, or poor standards. I think people Intentionally develop some "gray area" in this regard. This applies to EVERYTHING when it comes to money, not just Game Used.

The BS Sellers pull Far outweighs the Occasional deal. People can be & are often misleading when it comes to making a buck. We are often tempted by something we are chasing & decide to take the risk. Sellers often don`t respond to questions, are misleading,& we take the chance, based on available info. I just don`t have it in me to piss people off, or mislead people. I like to sleep at night.

Personally I try to ask a question on Items over 50$ just to see if they respond. If I don`t know them, or the standard no response, I normally don`t buy.

Again, almost everyone I`ve dealt with on here, has been quite the exception. HONEST & UPFRONT.

Sean

3arod13
11-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Great thread! I'm also sick of sellers making potential buyers having to ask so many questions. Sellers always state in their auctions, "ask questions." This way, if you get it and aren't happen, you should have asked.

Too many sellers purposely leave information out. Yes, if it's negative, it will hurts the sale. Still, be honest and get what you can get for it, in its current condition.

Honesty and integrity....are just words to many.

camarokids
11-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Ivan,

Practice what you preach there buddy....

What are you whining about??? Want some cheese with that whine???

Don't you remember how you told me you wanted to buy a glove from me???

I sent you pictures, you said you wanted it.

Then you never got back to me.....

Maybe you should try anger management, most of your posts are of a negative nature.....

momen55
11-20-2008, 10:57 AM
sorry dave.
after i asked about it, i left town and didn't get a chance to bid on it. i was very clear with you on that. you sold it so what is the problem? i am not upset about not getting it. why are you still bitter because i didn't get it?

momen55
11-20-2008, 10:59 AM
the post is about buying stuff and getting it and it not being in the condition as it was described. that is the problem and some of that stuff is here to.

camarokids
11-20-2008, 11:08 AM

I guess your memory is shot or selective like a politician????

you agreed to work out a deal and did not keep your word.....

as per your words above "then there is no place for them (you) on here"

if that is truly what you feel, please keep your word this time....

camarokids
11-20-2008, 11:21 AM
sorry dave.
after i asked about it, i left town and didn't get a chance to bid on it. i was very clear with you on that. you sold it so what is the problem? i am not upset about not getting it. why are you still bitter because i didn't get it?

I did not see this post...

Apology accepted....

I am not bitter, I just see you as a hypocrite and someone not to deal with!

you came on this forum and complained about others not being honest (keeping their word), yet you could not keep yours.....

A simple email stating you could not keep up to your end of the bargain would have sufficed, however I had to contact you to find out what had happened. That is when you were clear about what happened....

Prior to then, I was expecting a payment from you to end the auction early.

That is all.....

trsent
11-20-2008, 04:32 PM
I did not see this post...

Apology accepted....

I am not bitter, I just see you as a hypocrite and someone not to deal with!

you came on this forum and complained about others not being honest (keeping their word), yet you could not keep yours.....

A simple email stating you could not keep up to your end of the bargain would have sufficed, however I had to contact you to find out what had happened. That is when you were clear about what happened....

Prior to then, I was expecting a payment from you to end the auction early.

That is all.....

Isn't accepting payment to end an eBay listing early against eBay rules?

(Oh yeah, we all have done it)

momen55
11-20-2008, 10:11 PM
that line that you are quoting from me is if someone has sold you an item that was not as described and you didn't want it, that they should be willing to work something out for at least a refund. not tell you oh well it's your fault for not being specific.
items should be described to the T, so that there aren't any problems, regardless of who buys it. that is what i am talking about.

camarokids
11-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Ivan, don't sweat it there bud....

While you were bustin' someones balls about honesty and integrity......

I figured I would bust your balls a little bit....

Just remember, what goes around comes around...

I learned at a early age, to be a man of your word!!!!!

Do what you say, say what you do!

Dewey2007
11-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Although there is no specific reference to me, I've felt compelled to post this in response to the forum member who started this thread since I know it stems from his dissatisfaction with a deal that we made almost two months ago.

I sold a bat to Ivan aka Momen55 in late September. During our e-mail exchange about the bat I indicated to him that it had cracking and grain separation on the back of the barrel and also sent him pics of the bat. What he left out of the conversation was that he wanted this bat for his own personal use. At no time prior to us finalizing the deal did he mention this very important piece of information. If he had, I would have told him that the bat was not fit for personal use and would not have sold it to him for that purpose. Now that he can't get his money back he is upset and insinuating a lack of honesty and integrity on my part. He had specifically asked if the grain damage was enough to where it was coming off. I told him no although the wood was a little loose from the cracking but in my opinion it was not falling off the bat or hanging by a thread and the condition definitely didn't affect the display quality of the bat. The bat was definitely not good enough to go out and hit a ball with but he never asked that question. Here are pics of the bat in question.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=19159&highlight=lofton

Is it just me or do others think that wanting a bat for your own personal use is a very important piece of information to make known to a seller when considering buying a bat that you were specifically told had cracking and grain separation? I don't think I'm out of line by not offering him a refund since he has had the bat in his possession since October 3rd and in that time he has listed the bat on GUU and eBay a couple of times trying to sell it. It's not my fault that he hasn't been able to sell the bat and I shouldn't be expected to provide a refund because of this. Also considering his lack of disclosure in why he wanted the bat, the fact he's had it for 6 weeks and never once asked for a refund until now and for the fact that he willingly and knowingly purchased the bat with the understanding it had some degree of cracking and grain separation he has to accept some responsibility.

I guess when he received the bat the crack was worse then he thought it was but he had pics of the bat to review and I feel I answered his question regarding the condition of the bat w/o being misleading. I don't think it should be up to "me" the seller to read the mind of the buyer and his intentions with an item. I guess I'll have to start listing bats with a "not in condition for personal use" disclaimer. I've done transactions with a number of folks on the forum and eBay and have never purposely or knowingly mislead or misrepresented an item I was selling.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post. I just had to get this off my chest.

camarokids
11-21-2008, 12:08 PM
He was told there was grain separation before buying the bat......

Correct?

Then tell him to go pound sand and take a look in the freaking mirror....

He is supposedly a bat collector :rolleyes:, therefor he should know you cannot hit balls for very long with a bat that has grain separation.....

camarokids
11-21-2008, 04:50 PM
grain separation was listed on the original GUU ad which Ivan responded to.....

can't be much more honest than that.....

Admin PLEASE do us a favor and kill this freaking thread.......

ndevlin
11-21-2008, 08:33 PM
What I dont understand is why people feel the need to take a smack with a Game Used Bat, or make a few passes with your son with a Game Used Football.

Doesnt make a whole lotta collector sense to me, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

harpt
11-21-2008, 10:43 PM
What I dont understand is why people feel the need to take a smack with a Game Used Bat, or make a few passes with your son with a Game Used Football.

Doesnt make a whole lotta collector sense to me, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

I hear you in that...as a collector...I would never do it, but I can certainly see the appeal. Sometimes when I am holding a bat that was used by one of my childhood heroes, I definately have the urge to go belt a few with it. Thinking that it would be cool vs. actual doing it are two very different hings, of course.

I can see wanting a professional quality bat or ball to play with...but why pay game used prices when you can buy it brand new for so much cheaper?