PDA

View Full Version : OT:Original What does it mean?

jetersbatboy
11-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Yesterday, I purchased a Sadaharu Oh Menko rookie card. The seller listed it as "ORIGINAL" so I took him for his word and purchased it. I quickly emailed a friend, sending him to a link of the card I bought. Only to be emailed back this morning with bad news, the boarders of this card had bin cut off. Now I feel by no means is a card "original" if the boarders have bin cut. Do you guys feel this is "original" with the boarders cut? Do I have argument to return the card or do I just have eat the cost of the card because I didn't do enough research? First card is the one I bought the second is a photo of a original Oh rookie.

otismalibu
11-18-2008, 12:32 PM
It is the original card...not a reprint. That why SGC slabbed it as authentic, I would guess. Because it's been cut down, they could not grade it.

You'd never seen this card before the auction? Always best to do homework before the purchase.

bigtruck260
11-18-2008, 12:35 PM
I would advise that it depends on the price of altered vs. non-altered.

mvandor
11-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Agree, that you need to do your homework. If you don't know how important card edges and trimming are in value determination, you shouldn't be collecting cards, that's a very basic issue.

ahuff
11-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I absolutely would call it original. Based on the photo comparisons, it is obvious that the card has been trimmed. But trimming does not make the card a reprint.

jetersbatboy
11-18-2008, 12:43 PM
I agree enough homework was not done. But I did do some, most photos I had seen of menko cards did not have boarders so I assumed I was safe.

jetersbatboy
11-18-2008, 12:56 PM
If this was a game issued jersey and it was washed a few time to make it look more worn and used. Would you still consider that jersey in it original state or has it bin doctored. The only point I am trying to make should this information of card trimming have bin disclosed.

Rob L
11-18-2008, 12:56 PM
It's definitely original, just altered. The seller should have mentioned that it was trimmed though. The SGC - Authentic designation would raise concerns though since they would have given it a grade if it wasn't altered.

David
11-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Original and original condition are different things. The card is original (aka authentic, aka genuine) but badly trimmed. Obviously, the trimming lowers the value quite a bit.

David
11-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Whichever definition of original is used, the trimming should have been disclosed by the seller. There's no debate about that point.

ndevlin
11-19-2008, 12:00 AM
A lot of people that grade the older cards(especially if they know something is wrong with it like being trimmed) will have it sent off not for the grading, but to get it in a holder with "AU". Pretty much whenever you see that it means 2 things. Its either altered, or the card is in too poor condition to even get a "1" poor grade. Thats why you see a lot of tobacco cards that are in a SGC case with an "AU" as opposed to an actual grade.

cjw
11-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi..I don't know what you paid for the card, but let me know if you want to sell it, as I am looking for an Oh card for display with a signed ball I have. chris

christopherwood@canada.com

FastLane80
11-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Obviously, the trimming lowers the value quite a bit...or makes it more affordable :D I don't mind altered cards at all for that reason. Don't feel bad unless you over paid. It's a nice and unique card despite the trimming.