PDA

View Full Version : Where Is The Hobby Headed?

ballofbases@hotmail.com
11-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Interesting article about the market. Where is it going?

http://www.studyofsports.com/?p=253

sonic
11-17-2008, 02:52 AM
I'm new to the GU hobby, but not to sports cards so I'm not surprised that UD is laying people off.

Aside from the poor economy, the card manufacturers are reaping what they've sowed by gearing products towards investors (busting packs hoping to pull something good to sell on ebay) rather than collectors.

Boxes are too expensive and they're usually a terrible value. There's way too many products out there (which has made collecting one's favorite player impossible). Jersey cards are worthless because they're so plentiful. eBay has exposed Beckett as a scam considering that, generally speakimg, cards that book for X amount in reality sell for 1/4 that amount. And pulling an autograph isn't what it used to be (particularly when the signature is on a freaking sticker that's glued to the card) because every player has a zillion autographed cards floating around to choose from.

Oh, and if that weren't enough, you have altered cards (people replace jersey swatches with multicolored patches because those sell for more since they look nicer), counterfeit cards, and other assorted frauds and scams.

I left the sports card hobby because it became a headache rather than a job to collect. I know that the GU has its share of BS, but I've really enjoyed education myself and I recently made my first purchase after a bunch of research. In all honest, doing the research was half the fun!

So, to answer the question, I think that the GU hobby is a wonderful little niche that will attract more people disillusioned with the overhyped and overpriced sports card market (why pay 3k for a card when 3k could buy you a whole GU jersey?).

I think card companies haven't seen the worst of it yet. I think UD will be fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if Topps or Donruss goes under.