PDA

View Full Version : Man Caves

skyking26
11-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Interesting thread we have all contributed to or want to regarding people's man cave's. Once I learn photo shop here or whatever it takes to download photos, I'll do so myself.

I'm having surgery Thursday n what has been a lengthy ordeal. If not for our hobby, the people I deal with, and that interaction and updating and moving things about in my room, I would have went nuts a long time ago. It seems we all start out in cards, move to autographs and oddball, and eventually end up in game used items. At 45, I'd say that is about all I'll collect anymore. The room is filled with mementos, too many to exhibit properly really. Wife helped me hang a few things today, and shed a tear when I tried to get some space in the adjoining family room area. So, I guess if there is additional things to display, I'll have to be creative...

I'll say this, at the end of the day, the hoopla of family issues that we sweat dealing with but would not have any other way, it is nice to sit in our man cave's and bask in the glory of what is simple, what was yesterday, and just enjoy it. That is what it is all about.

Peace and quiet...the man cave...it's like sitting in the blind alone and cold - but it's your time...

Enjoy - skyking26 (Bob)
No, I'm not doing drugs right now, just throwing thoughts out there.

markize
11-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Interesting thread we have all contributed to or want to regarding people's man cave's. Once I learn photo shop here or whatever it takes to download photos, I'll do so myself.

I'm having surgery Thursday n what has been a lengthy ordeal. If not for our hobby, the people I deal with, and that interaction and updating and moving things about in my room, I would have went nuts a long time ago. It seems we all start out in cards, move to autographs and oddball, and eventually end up in game used items. At 45, I'd say that is about all I'll collect anymore. The room is filled with mementos, too many to exhibit properly really. Wife helped me hang a few things today, and shed a tear when I tried to get some space in the adjoining family room area. So, I guess if there is additional things to display, I'll have to be creative...

I'll say this, at the end of the day, the hoopla of family issues that we sweat dealing with but would not have any other way, it is nice to sit in our man cave's and bask in the glory of what is simple, what was yesterday, and just enjoy it. That is what it is all about.

Peace and quiet...the man cave...it's like sitting in the blind alone and cold - but it's your time...

Enjoy - skyking26 (Bob)
No, I'm not doing drugs right now, just throwing thoughts out there.

bob,

i agree totally with you on the man cave. sad part is, i am a skilled carpenter (skilled in all phases of construction for that matter), but never seem to get anything done at home. in addition, i have a 2.5 year old daughter so at the end of the day when she, and the wife are in bed, it is a welcomed relaxation time for me. i would love to move the collection out of the office, and into the addition i was to build long ago, but time always works against me (just ask andrew lang how many emails i send him late at night!!). also, like you, i am camera/photoshop challenged so just to sit and look at or just hold a favorite piece is a relief.

with regards to your pending surgery, i hope all goes well, and wish you a speedy recovery.

mark

zookerman182
11-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Not alot of people get it. You do what makes you happy, and if sitting in a room surrounded by pieces of history makes you happy then do it. Theres nothing like picking up your favorite bat, digging into an imaginary batters box, and taking a few cuts with the piece of lumber. Just knowing that this player went to battle with this bat in his hands and nothing else. Then you think, "who was pitching when this bat was being used." and "what extra things did the player to do this bat to make it his own". Its just cool to be able to own stuff like this.

good luck with your surgery.

AWA85
11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Although I do not have a man cave yet, my apartment bedroom has to make due. Like stated before, I started collecting baseball cards, than moved on to to autographs and now I am stunned by the Game Used world. I started collecting a year ago and now have about 15-20 bats, a few jerseys and countless little items. It really is something that is addicting and a lot of fun to just enjoy. Getting to own the items that your favorite players or stars wore or used is about as cool as it gets for me.

Glad I am not into baseball cards anymore :D I think I will stick with this hobby.

metsbats
11-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Bob,

Best wishes to you on Thursday. Spend lots of time in your Man Cave afterwards if possible. Guaranteed to speed any recovery.

Regards
David

BergerKing22784
11-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Wow AWA we were on the same path! I started collecting baseball cards in like 1988 when I was 4 and my first baseball card was a Tom Glavine rookie card and its why I am such a big Braves fan. When I moved to Maryland and finally had the Orioles local I switched to autographs. (used to live in Virginia). Now that I have a job I can afford to buy game used items as autograph collecting became to big of a hassle got tired of dealing with the people and the players.

AWA85
11-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Turning 23 in 2 weeks, I think it was about time to switch away from the autograph life. Something a little odd about getting these first round draft picks straight out of high school to sign for me when I have a few years on them haha. Now I can just try and get my game used items signed and not feel quite as ODD.

island_style
11-17-2008, 05:05 AM
Bob,

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery this Thursday. I've had only one surgery, and it was an emergency one for a ruptured appendix while on a Vegas trip. It took several weeks to recover, and I marvel at today's athlete's who are back on the field in two weeks. I hope that all goes well for you. Being surrounded by your family and spending time in your man cave should definitely help your recovery!

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

skyking26
11-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Bob,

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery this Thursday. I've had only one surgery, and it was an emergency one for a ruptured appendix while on a Vegas trip. It took several weeks to recover, and I marvel at today's athlete's who are back on the field in two weeks. I hope that all goes well for you. Being surrounded by your family and spending time in your man cave should definitely help your recovery!

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com
Thanks guys. I've been all over our area and Detroit with this since May. Abdominal pain that increases with activity and walking. Went to Cleveland Clinic and they say it is a sports henia, possibly 2. 2 hour operation, and trust me, I'm not a hospital or surgery guy. I'd rather just be doing normal routine. 08 has seen some of the largest collecting purchases of my near 30 years of collecting so that has led to a revision of my room - which has kept me very busy.

I appreciate people's thoughts. Great hobby here. Alot of nice people, many I know on a personal basis and many just to say hello. It's all good!!!

allstarsplus
11-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Bob - The good 'ole sports hernia. I had mine repaired a few years ago at the age of 40+ and the 1st week of recovery was real tough for me as I tried doing it on small doses of pain relievers.

All I can say is it will take a while but you will be pain free in the near future so good luck to you!

Enjoy the man cave and post some pics when you got them!

God speed to a quick recovery!!!!

skyking26
11-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Bob - The good 'ole sports hernia. I had mine repaired a few years ago at the age of 40+ and the 1st week of recovery was real tough for me as I tried doing it on small doses of pain relievers.

All I can say is it will take a while but you will be pain free in the near future so good luck to you!

Enjoy the man cave and post some pics when you got them!

God speed to a quick recovery!!!!
You're making me nervous with the pain talk! They said I'd be done by 2 pm and could walk out the door?? Did you do laposcopy? Supposed to be minimally invasive... lmk...Bob

steevyniu
11-17-2008, 11:41 AM
You're making me nervous with the pain talk! They said I'd be done by 2 pm and could walk out the door?? Did you do laposcopy? Supposed to be minimally invasive... lmk...Bob

You will walk out the door.....just VERY gingerly.

I had a bilateral laparascopic hernia repaired in 2006. I was pretty sore for about a week (the first few days, I REALLY had trouble moving around without pain), but after that I was back to my desk job without much trouble.

Laparoscopy is MUCH better than the traditional method where they slice your abs open from side to side - recovery is much faster. However, even with laparoscopy, they are still cutting you open, sticking stuff in you, and zipping you up, so expect to have significant soreness for a few days.

Basically, I felt like someone hit me in the stomach a few times with one of those huge Ruth bats. I was 27 at the time.

allstarsplus
11-17-2008, 11:54 AM

Yep, I found a surgeon that suggested the laproscopic surgery which took a couple of hours and after I woke up from the anestesia they wheeled me to the door in a wheelchair and I walked the rest of the way to my car (wife drove) as I wasn't feeling much pain at that point.

The next day I felt more pain and was still able to walk and it was all worth the pain I endured as I am now pain free.

My advice to anybody who has been living with the pain is get the operation while you are young!

skyking26
11-17-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm 45, started with the pain in May. Docs around here shook their heads all summer and called it everything from prostatitus to this and that. Last thing I did was endured 9 weeks of "prolotherapy," where they inject glucose in the area all over with a long needle. The idea is to make the area hurt more so that it sends a signal to the brain that this area needs healing...Well, let's just say it does NOT work.

I have a physical job (carpenter) and I'm on my feet all day. I can't do it. So, you describe feeling like somebody punched you - I've felt like that constatly for 6 months so I'm open to this. Just tired of wife following me around all the time. I can make Cleveland in 3 hours, but she'll take 5 on the way back which will drive me nuts...

tym
11-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Well here are some images from my man cave....

Disclaimer....anyone that proceeds into my man cave un-invited will have to deal with my dog MAC and my friends Smith&Wesson :)

http://friendsofcff.com/images/display/DSC03887.JPG

http://friendsofcff.com/images/display/DSC03892.JPG
http://friendsofcff.com/images/display/DSC03893.JPG
http://friendsofcff.com/images/display/DSC03886.JPG
http://friendsofcff.com/images/display/DSC03888.JPG

kingjammy24
11-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Well here are some images from my man cave....

hey ty,

that's a nice 1991 all-star griffey bat. fun fact: for the 1991 all-star game, griffey actually did use a rawlings bat, instead of his usual LVS. lelands sold it:

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=305&lot=1033

rudy.

tym
11-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the pointer Rudy!
My all star bat doesnt have any real use, just some bat rack marks. But, I didnt know of the bat you pointed out so its cool to know and I put it in my notes.
Cheers,
Ty

kingjammy24
11-18-2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the pointer Rudy!
My all star bat doesnt have any real use, just some bat rack marks. But, I didnt know of the bat you pointed out so its cool to know and I put it in my notes.
Cheers,
Ty

here's a pic of him in the batting cage during the '91 All-Star Game. you can see the white rawlings ring on the bat. he even gave it his custom tape job. i wonder if the lelands' bat has the tape job.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4769/batao5.jpg

rudy.

B1SON
11-18-2008, 02:05 AM
My Bison room can be viewed on the front of my web page. I believed that when I designed my GU room that it should be a place where I relax in my recliners and watch sports all day......everyday. ;)

www.BisonGameDayMemorabilia.com (http://www.BisonGameDayMemorabilia.com)

On a side note, I need to get pics up, but a guy I know who pitched for the Bison, also pitched for our local team here, The FM Red Hawks of the North League baseball. They have won the championship three times and he was on two of the teams. He gave me both his rings, because they will sit in his drawer forever. Therefore, he would rather have them displayed with all the other Bison greats. I told him I would have displays made for them and then when he wants them back someday, I will give him the displays as well. One is from 2003 and the other 2006. They are 10k and weigh a ton. The 2006 apparently is an exact replica of Boston's ring, except ours says "FM" in diamonds instead of "B". Our colors are Red, so the stone is red as well. I will throw up pics.

tym
11-18-2008, 02:08 AM
Great question Rudy, the Lelands auction does not show the handle. I have a 1990 KGS bat that has Jrs. tape job, could never prove it but Sr. told me Jr. used it and did the tape....its a Cooper......so I would expect it :)
Cheers
Ty

skyking26
11-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Back from surgery in OH and home in MI. I know I was told by some that pain was ok and my own doc told me about a 1/4" incision. WRONG. I'm slices 4-6" on both sides and pain if not overly tolerable. They drugged me pretty well for the 4 hour drive home. I'll be laid up in front of a tv and computer for 7-8 days... I did not think it would be this bad!!!

Thanks to all that have commented. I appreciate the well wishes. Thank God for Man Caves...

Bob Koppel
skyking26

allstarsplus
11-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Bob - Glad the surgery was a success but sorry to hear you had such large incisions.

Take care of yourself!!!!

harpt
11-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Glad to hear the surgury went well Bob. I hope you start feeling a lot better soon.

The good news is: I doubt you'll miss much at the Sun Times show this weekend. If I see any Kingman stuff though, I'll give you a call.

skyking26
11-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks Scotty.

steevyniu
11-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Best wishes on your recovery Bob! Before you know it you will be back to full power. 4-6 inch incisions? It sounds like they did the 'old school' method, instead of laparascopic.

Oh yeah, be sure to milk the attention from the Family! Maybe get a little bell or something to ring for 'assistance'?

skyking26
11-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Best wishes on your recovery Bob! Before you know it you will be back to full power. 4-6 inch incisions? It sounds like they did the 'old school' method, instead of laparascopic.

Oh yeah, be sure to milk the attention from the Family! Maybe get a little bell or something to ring for 'assistance'?
My wife has been amazing thru this. With the kids home all weekend she'll be tested on her "niceness level" though. They said they were doing laproscopic. They ended up putting screen down into groin and up 6" into stomach according to my wife. I'm sore into rib cage on right side...

I'm hanging out in the man cave 24/7...just me and my stuff!

jppopma
11-26-2008, 05:28 AM
Bob, Glad to hear things went smooth dispite the pain. I'm sure the major drugs almost made Ohio bearable to drive through. Just be sure to watch the Lions...they will give you enough pain to make you forget about anything else. Take care. John

skyking26
11-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Bob, Glad to hear things went smooth dispite the pain. I'm sure the major drugs almost made Ohio bearable to drive through. Just be sure to watch the Lions...they will give you enough pain to make you forget about anything else. Take care. John
John:

I was looped up on vicodin when the Lions took their Thanksgiving Day bath. I can't bring myself to watch them or the Tigers. Tigers need to make any move at all if they think they are going to compete with that woeful lineup in 09...

Bob

ultimetfan
11-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Bob,

Wishing you a Happy Holiday and a speedy recovery Bob. Here's to the Man Cave!

Best
Jessie

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR METS CATCHER ITEMS and bats from: Bruce Berenyl, Ed Lynch, Randy Niemann, Rick Anderson, and John Mitchell

skyking26
11-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Bob,

Wishing you a Happy Holiday and a speedy recovery Bob. Here's to the Man Cave!

Best
Jessie

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR METS CATCHER ITEMS and bats from: Bruce Berenyl, Ed Lynch, Randy Niemann, Rick Anderson, and John Mitchell

Thanks Jessie. Still alot of pain down there. I'm moving around good though. I had heard so many stories I just did not know what to expect.

I've been in the man cave now for 8 days, only come up to eat...