PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me who Greer Johnson was/is?

fromcooperstowntohollywood
11-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Ebay auction 110310853360?

wjonesIII
11-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Ebay auction 110310853360?

Mickey Mantle's personal assistant, friend, business partner, etc. (post career I believe).

kingjammy24
11-15-2008, 11:55 AM
"google" has 3,020,000 results for "greer johnson".

rudy.

metsbats
11-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Greer Johnson became Mantle's agent and he lived with her towards the later part of his life. She was alway present at card shows during the early ninties sitting next to Mick while he signed.

David

MSpecht
11-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Here is an excerpt from the following story by Mike Stoner:
http://www.stonersports.com/About.html (http://www.stonersports.com/About.html)

"My greatest break in this industry came in the middle to late 1980(s). I did some signing with Mickey Mantle, and met his agent, business manager, Greer Johnson. Greer was a local resident, and I found that she and Mickey had a place in Decatur where they frequently stayed for periods of time. I believe that at some time they discovered that I had done legal work for Bobby Cox, and I assume that if they did ask, Bobby gave me a decent report. I also believe she may have consulted with some local promoters who knew me. However, for some reason, and I am not sure Greer or I can truly recall what, she asked me to do some legal work for her. Mickey's personal attorney was a brilliant practitioner, Roy True, who had a fine firm he headed in Dallas. But Greer frequently had things that were personal to her, and wanted her own attorney. Starting some time around 1987, Greer Johnson became my client, and one of my closest personal friends. She remains one of my warmest friends to date. Through her, I had a wonderful 8-year association with "The Mick", and with her, and many others in this industry."

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Swoboda4
11-15-2008, 12:11 PM
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/arts/2007/03/07/sopranos460.jpg
She's his gooma. Why? Who wants to know?

fromcooperstowntohollywood
11-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Thank you all. Just wanted to verify what was told to me. Did not think about google before, but I did it after reading this!

bigtruck260
11-15-2008, 01:39 PM
"google" has 3,020,000 results for "greer johnson".

rudy.

If he had simply searched Google, he might not have posted here...and some of us might have missed out on some good information to know.

I may someday get into Mantle stuff, and need to know little things like who Greer Johnson was/is. Now if someone at a show is trying to sell me a Mantle sig with Greer Johnson provenance (and I am not likely to have my computer at a card show)...I will have this info buried in my brain...rather than having to make phone calls, etc.

Sometimes people being naive is fine with me. I understand where you are coming from though. It does get annoying when people ask questions without doing even the slightest bit of personal research.

In this instance - no big deal.

metsbats
11-15-2008, 02:44 PM
In 1997 Lelands auctioned off the Greer Johnson Collection of Mick Mantle memorabilia. Much to the dismay of Mantle's family there were alot of personal items like clothing, credit cards, medicine containers and even a lock of the Mick's hair. The last speech Mickey handwrote from his hospital bed was offered too.

Here is the auction catalog and the introduction first page of the catalog.

David

metsbats
11-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Thank you all. Just wanted to verify what was told to me. Did not think about google before, but I did it after reading this!

If everyone just googled, we wouldn't need this forum. Also we all know everything we read on the internet is true:rolleyes:

Like we say at work, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

No worries.

David