PDA

View Full Version : getting a game used item signed...

jake33
11-13-2008, 04:57 PM
I recently was able to run down former devil rays pitcher DOUG CREEK and talked to him, I got a game sued cap of his from the rays and am sending it to him to autograph

"doug creek 2000 season game used"

He was great to talk to and very excited about him doing this.

34swtns
11-13-2008, 06:43 PM
And very cool of him to agree to the GU inscription. Some guys won't write "game used" even when you're presenting the item in person.

Spiezio23
11-13-2008, 07:22 PM
That's pretty cool, it's nice when current/former players embrace the fans and are willing to go the extra step for a fan.

While I'm not a huge fan of players signing "game used" on anything I don't mind getting my gu items signed.

Recently I met Ryan Rowland-Smith and showed him one of his Inland Empire GU hats. I had no idea of the year but he immediately recognized the hat and knew it was his from 2004. He signed it with just his name and current number.

godwulf
11-13-2008, 11:30 PM
One of my favorite inscribed, game used items is a bat that Micah Owings broke in half in a game in Pittsburgh, the season before last. He recognized it, and was happy to inscribe it for me.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8dc31b3127ccec300ef8ffdab00000010O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

TNTtoys
11-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Ron Darling did a signing recently... I arrived with his game used 1993 home jersey from when he was with the A's. Out of the game used items in my collection, this jersey has been a personal favorite of mine due to the amount of wear on it... for a pitchers jersey nevertheless. The left front of the jersey is nearly worn through.

Anyway, when I got to the front of the line, there was 1 guy in front of me who was already getting a game used item signed. Ronnie smirked, signed the item, and then turned to the guy next to him and said something along the lines of "those locker room kids used to take a lot of stuff." Clearly this was amongst several of his items that had gone missing, and he was not pleased.

Building on that queue, I approached him with the jersey and after explaining what it was, I opened it to show him the "Purchased from the Oakland Athletics" stamp inside and told him that he can rest assured that this one didn't make its way out of the back of the locker room.

He asked me what I wanted on it, and I asked him to sign it and inscribe "1993 game used." He took his time looking over the jersey and then suggested that he sign it across the tail of the A's logo... and I thought that might look nice. Once he finished, I couldn't agree more.

Before I walked away, I asked him what he did to rip into the jersey so much. He told me that he used to rub it with his glove. And it made perfect sense to me... I thanked him and shook his hand. A true gentleman... and a nice experience...

sylbry
11-14-2008, 09:38 AM
I presented Greg Gagne with one of his old bats. I asked if he would sign it "game used" which he did. After doing so he looked at me and said, "would you like me to write anything else?" I was absolutely unprepared for that question because never has a player asked me that before. Usually when you ask a player for an inscription they look at you a little funny, as if they are trying to figure out your intentions on what you plan to do with the item. Had I been prepared for his question I would have had him also write "1987 WS Champs", and had I known in advance he was such a generous signer I certainly would have told my friend, who was getting his game worn 1987 World Series jersey signed to ask him to inscribe something indicating the jersey as such.