PDA

View Full Version : First Game Used Item

joelsabi
11-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Can everyone share their first game used item and how that item, if at all, shaped the theme of your current collection. where did you buy and how much research did you do with your first item compared to your current research practice of game used items.

shoremen44
11-12-2008, 09:57 PM
My first game used item was a bat I got directly from Mickey Tettleton at a game when he was playing with the Orioles...

I still collect Tettleton bats and have been looking for jerseys for a couple of years now...

I havent been collecting all that long other than that first bat, but I have learned alot and am pretty scrupulous now when it comes to items... I have learned much of what I know from fellow form members

murfsteve25
11-12-2008, 10:00 PM
First game used item was a Dmitri Young game used cracked Cincy Reds bat. Shows great use with much tape and a little tar. my dad bought it for me at Redsfest years ago, prolly around 2000 or close to then, not 100% sure. it was only $25 or $50 so he didnt have a problem with buying me the bat. I thought it was the sweetest thing in the world to own something once used by a player.
My collection was just starting out at that time, I mean i had a few auto baseballs but thats it. My game used collection grew the years after that when i was attending more annual Redsfests. Soon I was buying jerseys, bats, batting gloves, and many other items. I was too young to understand that game used items were available to the public through other ways, but Redsfest was my only way of getting the goods. It was the highlight of my year.

twinsbb17
11-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Being a lifelong Twins fan since birth, my dad bought me a Pat Meares game used bat when I was 6 or 7. The next item was a Larry Casian game used hat. From then on, our collection has gone from bats to jerseys and spread to Darin Erstad stuff. As my dad's now in heaven, I've had to carry on the collection by myself. I won't sell any of the stuff my dad and I bought as it truly is priceless - yes even a Larry Casian hat!

skyking26
11-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Dave Kingman game used S2 84/85 label Louisville in 88 or 89. I followed that buy ($75) from the same seller a GU 1975 Mets home Kingman jersey same year. I think I paid $350 for the jersey. I had that jersey until last spring (08) when I sold it to buy a 73 Kingman home jersey...

Back in 88 I had hobby pioneer Dave Miedema look at the jerseys and researched Dave's bats myself. Today there are many research tools available courtesy of the internet, etc...

AWA85
11-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I was just a little kid, didn't even know it at the time but I picked up a cracked/autographed bat of Bob Henley while he was with the Burlington Bees. He went on to play one year for the Montreal Expos. Had a good season, not sure what happened to him. The only Pro Stock bat in my collection, think I will hang on to it for awhile.

An Adam Dunn foul ball from new Busch stadium and my Jason LaRue 9/11 helmet are some of my first items that began my game used collection into the obsession it is today!

OaklandAsFan
11-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Got a Mike Gallego cracked gamer after an A's game back in 1988 or 89 from the equipment manager. later that year got autographed gamer from McGwire and a pair of cleats and a batting glove all autographed by Mac. Ended up selling them back in 1992 cause I was more into girls and cars than baseball. yeah I was dumb ;)

geoff
11-13-2008, 12:13 AM
My First was a Spring Training Twins Cracked Game Used Bat Signed By Johan Santana.I bought it from EBAY back in 2005.I since Sold that Bat to a Buddy Last Year.

zookerman182
11-13-2008, 01:38 AM
I bought a Carlos Lee signed Brewers game used bat for $120 back in 2005 after the regular season ended. I thought it was the greatest thing on earth. ($120 was also alot for me to spend on something) That was all it took to get me hooked on game used and officially end my baseball card collecting.

panthrotc
11-13-2008, 03:29 AM
First Game Used item was a 1990 McGwire CRACKED Gamer with McGwire spelled "McWire" on the barrel. Then in 2002, i got one of those UD cards that let you send something in to Upper Deck to have McGwire Sign. So i sent the 1990 CRACKED Gamer to be signed.

and here it is... Its the bat on TOP

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/o001.jpg

yanks12025
11-13-2008, 06:48 AM
The first game used bat that i got was a 1950-52 Larry (Yogi) Berra bat. I paid $45 for it at a local auction. Did not know it was game used till after a year and then i sold it to Taube.

momen55
11-13-2008, 07:57 AM
1958 "momen" clemente gamer. bought it about 8 years ago when i lived in chicago, from a woman who ended up with it in here divorce settlement. she didn't care about it nor want it, so we agreed a a fair price and there you have it. best piece in my collection. :D

Danny899
11-13-2008, 08:09 AM
The first gamer I collected was a 1989 Rickey Henderson A's jersey. It came with a letter from Dave Miedema and was signed on the front and rear. I began to collect more Henderson jerseys after that from earlier in his career including pullovers and other rare button downs from other teams. So how did it shape the theme of my collecting you ask? I had the wild idea to try to collect a jersey from every year he played which is difficult considering he played 20+ years. So does anyone have a 97 Angels laying around????

PS: Yanks12025, I bet you wish you could have that Berra bat back!

cjclong
11-13-2008, 09:08 AM
My first game used item was a Raphael Palmeiro Louisville Slugger bat I bought on ebay. I knew nothing about how to try to check things out then. Palmeiro was doing a signing in Arlington and I bought a ticket to get the bat autographed. The autograph line was moving fairly fast and then when I got up to the table and handed him the bat everything stopped while he held the bat and carefully looked at and examined it and then asked me where I got it. It was obvious he recognized the bat as one of this (authentication!) I thought Lord, I hope this wasn't stolen out of his locker. I told him on ebay and he signed the bat with no problem. My wife got some good pictures of him holding the bat and talking to me while the line stopped.

cjclong
11-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Its been so long ago I misspelled Rafael.

earlywynnfan
11-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Tim Raines auto'd GU Hoosier bat, at least 10 years ago. I was collecting auto'd bats at the time, and thought it would be cool to have one used in a game. And I got hooked...

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Canseco44
11-13-2008, 10:50 AM
My first was a game used Jose Canseco bat back in 2003. It is a Devil Rays Rawlings Big Stick model 456X and is signed Jose Canseco #33 Gamer. I got this directly from Canseco in a trade for some baseball cards. I still have it and will always have it.

Todd

karamaxjoe
11-13-2008, 10:59 AM
My story is a little different than just buying my first item at an auction or store. It all started a few weeks before Halloween back in 1993. My wife came home one day from her parent’s house with an old baseball uniform she found in their attic. Her parents were cleaning out the house since they were moving and were throwing away a ton of stuff. My wife thought I might like the uniform for a Halloween costume and I eventually did use it for that purpose. I took a look at the jersey and instantly thought I might have something here. At the time I was collecting baseball cards and reading SCD so I’d seen some photos of old jerseys before and knew they had some value. After doing some frantic research with the Baseball Encyclopedia and Marc Okkonens uniform book at the library, I determined the jersey was a 1946 road White Sox jersey from Wally Moses with the Stars and Stripes patch on the sleeve. The only problem was the CHICAGO had been removed from the front and a different style of Sox logo had been sewn on the front. I then called my father-in-law who told me how he played American Legion ball in Lemont, Illinois and the uniforms were donated by the White Sox. He also told me the Good Will truck just came by the house and picked up a bag of clothes including THREE MORE UNIFORMS! I instantly had visions of poor people in Chicago walking around in Luke Appling and Ted Lyons jerseys. I then called Good Will and managed to convince them to return the one bag with the three uniforms. We actually still have some honest people left in this world. The jerseys didn’t turn out to be Hall of Famers, but three more serviceable players, Don Kolloway, Cas Michaels and George Dicky. I then took the four jerseys to Dave Mediema since Dave lived in the Chicago area. Dave told me the jerseys were the real thing and were worth about a grand each and should be restored. Long story short, I sold all my baseball cards, restored the four jerseys and still have the Wally Moses jersey to this day. I’d like to replace it with an original, but have had a hard time parting with the jersey that started my addiction.

www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe

beavisrules
11-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Considering my interest, it is kind of random that my first game used item was a 1992 Ryan Thompson Syracuse Chiefs AAA baseball jersey. Fortunately, it was an honest seller who got it directly from the Chiefs, because I didn't really know what I was doing at the time (nor did any research), but since it was only around $35, I figured why not - if it wasn't real, it was a really nice looking authentic. Turned out to be a legit gamer, and I still have it to this day.

yanks12025
11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Danny899,
Yeah you can say that. It's something that ill regret till the day i die.

Dewey2007
11-13-2008, 02:12 PM
My first game used item was an Isaiah Rider Portland Trailblazers jersey. He is from my hometown and is a friend of mine so I thought it would be cool to have one. It influenced my current collection in that I decided shortly after to focus mainly on collecting game used items of pro players from my hometown. It also led to the sports exhibit I'm planning next summer with our hometown museum and in my creating the Alameda Sports Project website.

I bought it on eBay and didn't do any research on it because I had really no idea how to go about it plus I had to buy it ASAP because someone else had an offer on the item. Anyhow, I got introduced with GUU soon after and have learned a lot about the hobby since.

Chris78
11-13-2008, 03:49 PM
My first game used item was one of my most expensive purchases and it was in the area of football -- which is an area I do not collect because you cannot find any Steelers jerseys. It was a 1997 Game Used Greg Lloyd Steelers black jersey. I actually bought it off of one of the members of this site that I see sometimes post -- thelumbercompany or Marty. I bought this off ebay when he was selling it.

My first game used baseball purchase was a 2004 Road jersey at the Scranton/Wilkes Barre Red Barons of J.P Roberge #20. I since have accumulated a lot of Major and Minor League team jerseys, along with some bats as well.

bubbrubb25
11-13-2008, 07:45 PM
My first game used item was a Jimmy Rollins game used signed bat I bought from the Phillies in 2004.

markfd
11-13-2008, 08:48 PM
My first game used item was a 2005 GU Jose Guillen bat I bought at RFK Stadium from the Nationals.

Mark
markfd@hotmail.com
-------------------------------
Always Collecting Nationals and Yankees Game Used Items

Vintagedeputy
11-13-2008, 09:44 PM
1985 Yankees Dan Pasqua game used home jersey

I had a buddy in NJ who knew Pasqua - Pasqua had worked for him. I met Pasqua and for a short time, he was billed as the next Mantle. The press loved the local Italian kid with the sweet stroke to the right field porch. I bought the jersey from a guy who had a friend in the Yankees clubhouse. Also got a pair of spikes which I recently sold, but I still have the jersey.

70to66
11-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Walt Weiss gave me a bat at spring training back in 1999 when he was with the braves, I still have the bat and it got me hooked on game used items.
70to66

tym
11-14-2008, 01:41 AM
My first game used item was a cracked bat given to me by Tom Paciorek when he dropped down to the minors in 1978 with the San Jose Missions....

Cheers,
Ty

island_style
11-14-2008, 05:10 AM
First item was a Ron Darling 1984 Mets home jersey. He was a decent pitcher and was also born here in Hawaii. I collected several of his items over the years, but sold them to focus on the Hawaii players who were raised here (not just born).

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

joelsabi
11-14-2008, 11:28 AM
First item was a Ron Darling 1984 Mets home jersey. He was a decent pitcher and was also born here in Hawaii. I collected several of his items over the years, but sold them to focus on the Hawaii players who were raised here (not just born).

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

was shane victorino on a championship little league team in the past. thought you might know.

joelsabi
11-14-2008, 09:41 PM
My first game used item was an Isaiah Rider Portland Trailblazers jersey. He is from my hometown and is a friend of mine so I thought it would be cool to have one. It influenced my current collection in that I decided shortly after to focus mainly on collecting game used items of pro players from my hometown. It also led to the sports exhibit I'm planning next summer with our hometown museum and in my creating the Alameda Sports Project website.

I bought it on eBay and didn't do any research on it because I had really no idea how to go about it plus I had to buy it ASAP because someone else had an offer on the item. Anyhow, I got introduced with GUU soon after and have learned a lot about the hobby since.

make sure to take a lot of photos when you have your exhibit at the museum. it will add a lot to your website i think.

didnt know jimmy rollins came from there. got to think the competition would be limited playing in an island. do your high school team take the ferry to play games with california teams on the mainland?

Dewey2007
11-15-2008, 02:12 AM
make sure to take a lot of photos when you have your exhibit at the museum. it will add a lot to your website i think.

didnt know jimmy rollins came from there. got to think the competition would be limited playing in an island. do your high school team take the ferry to play games with california teams on the mainland?

I will be sure to take lots of photos of the exhibit. I will post them on my site and here on the forum.

We're not your typical island so no ferries needed. We are located in the middle of the San Francisco Bay Area. A couple of small bridges and a tunnel separate us from Oakland so there's plenty of competition in the area.

island_style
11-15-2008, 05:13 AM
was shane victorino on a championship little league team in the past. thought you might know.

I don't recall reading anything about him being on a Little League championship team like this year's Waipio team (or Waipahu, as ESPN referred to them by either name) after they won the Little League World Series.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

joelsabi
11-15-2008, 07:47 AM
My story is a little different than just buying my first item at an auction or store. It all started a few weeks before Halloween back in 1993. My wife came home one day from her parent’s house with an old baseball uniform she found in their attic. Her parents were cleaning out the house since they were moving and were throwing away a ton of stuff. My wife thought I might like the uniform for a Halloween costume and I eventually did use it for that purpose. I took a look at the jersey and instantly thought I might have something here. At the time I was collecting baseball cards and reading SCD so I’d seen some photos of old jerseys before and knew they had some value. After doing some frantic research with the Baseball Encyclopedia and Marc Okkonens uniform book at the library, I determined the jersey was a 1946 road White Sox jersey from Wally Moses with the Stars and Stripes patch on the sleeve. The only problem was the CHICAGO had been removed from the front and a different style of Sox logo had been sewn on the front. I then called my father-in-law who told me how he played American Legion ball in Lemont, Illinois and the uniforms were donated by the White Sox. He also told me the Good Will truck just came by the house and picked up a bag of clothes including THREE MORE UNIFORMS! I instantly had visions of poor people in Chicago walking around in Luke Appling and Ted Lyons jerseys. I then called Good Will and managed to convince them to return the one bag with the three uniforms. We actually still have some honest people left in this world. The jerseys didn’t turn out to be Hall of Famers, but three more serviceable players, Don Kolloway, Cas Michaels and George Dicky. I then took the four jerseys to Dave Mediema since Dave lived in the Chicago area. Dave told me the jerseys were the real thing and were worth about a grand each and should be restored. Long story short, I sold all my baseball cards, restored the four jerseys and still have the Wally Moses jersey to this day. I’d like to replace it with an original, but have had a hard time parting with the jersey that started my addiction.

www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe

great story. any addiction that leads to a gossage short display. aint bad. thanks for sharing.

jppopma
11-26-2008, 03:07 AM
My first was a Mike Ivie SF Giants jersey purchased from Dave Miedema.

I was working the card show circuit back in the 80's and met Dave several times as he was set up with some jerseys and SCD freebies. He was the only guy selling jerseys and I was intrigued by the jerseys being game worn. i learned alot of pointers in talking with him.

I finally saved up some cash, which no high school kid had much of, and decided to pick one up. I chose the Ivie because I remembered him from the Tigers at the end of his career, plus this jersey had a letter from the team (Dobbins) on team letter head describing the jersey--which back then I thought was the coolest thing. I actually framed the letter and had it on my bedroom wall. In true kid fashion, I even looked at it and envisioned scouting letters coming on the very same letterhead.

Still have the jersey and the COA is packed away somewhere at my parent's.