PDA

View Full Version : Game Used 2004 Game 7 ALCS Baseball

dcgreg25
11-10-2008, 03:35 PM
So the thread about getting GU items signed and inscriptions got me thinking about an item I have which I thought about getting signed. The item is a 2004 GU ALCS game 7 baseball with MLB hologram. It seems that the significance of the ball is almost more unsigned in what it represents rather than having Damon (grand slam), Lowe (winning pitcher) or Ortiz (MVP) sign the ball.

I was also thinking of just leaving the ball as it is and displaying it with a team signed picture from the celebration. Any thoughts?

matt
11-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Good question!! I have a ball from 2004 ALCS Game 7 as well and almost had a few guys sign it but then realized the fact it would likely devalue it unless i got them all!

I just bought a Game 4 2007 WS ball and was thinking of getting Lester to sign...but if he leaves the sox or flames out this will not be so smart.

On the other hand, I doubt game used balls (even of significant games like this) will ever fetch more than $500 or so over time in any case.

Matt

dcgreg25
11-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the response Matt. Good to know someone else is in the same boat, I guess. I wonder how many Game 7 balls that MLB authenticated and are out there. I will probably hold off on getting it signed and display it with a signed pic of the celebration.

tigerdale
11-11-2008, 06:32 AM
I had started a thread like this way back....I ended up not having balls signed if the ball was sinificant...could hold its own value....but I would have generic game balls signed to add to the look of them.

matt
11-11-2008, 04:09 PM
If anyone cares, I do have some advice on buying GU balls from Steiner or MLB. I have noted a number of cases where Steiner sells GU balls with a MLB Holo that does NOT validate the game use. I have seen 2 different 2004 ALCS Game 6 (bloody sock game) balls where the MLB Holo simply memorializes the signings on the ball, but not the game use. One is on eBay right now for $3000 and not selling. I inquired last year and was told by Steiner that they got balls with no MLB holos during that period, but that we should all trust the Steiner LOA and Holo. I am skeptical since Steiner never updates its holo database.

Buyer beware. Don't buy a GU ball without the correct MLB holo authenticating it.

Matt

tigerdale
11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
great advice....thanks.