PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Jordan Barons Jersey??????

hblakewolf
11-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Current offering in the Grey Flannel auction, lot #381, “Michael Jordan game worn 1994 Birmingham. Barons home jersey”

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=19144

As an avid Jordan baseball collector, I’ve seen many photos of him playing for the Barons in 1994, and have also seen quite a few of the jerseys worn by the 1994 team for sale. Comparing the photos and other known 1994 game worn home jerseys to this offering in the Grey Flannel auction, this is the first time I’ve ever seen the White Sox patch that's void of the black boarder. See example below:

Can anyone produce a photo of Jordan, or for that matter, any player from the 1994 Barons team wearing a home jersey void of the black boarder on this patch?

Likewise, the description notes that there is an "apparent photomatch to Getty Images #1440470". Below is the photo, however, how is this a photo match, let alone a style match?

Additional information has been requested from Grey Flannel, based on the above discrepancies.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

hblakewolf
11-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Below is the photo of the Grey Flannel sleeve patch and those taken from a photo of Jordan in 1994:

Any help in locating any Baron player wearing a patch void of the traditional black boarder as per the initial post is appreciated.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

kingjammy24
11-10-2008, 01:24 PM
how is it an "apparent photomatch" when the getty image shows 4 pinstripes from one end of the MLB patch to the other and the GFC jersey has 5 pinstripes from one end to the other? if anything, the getty image that GFC references wholly disqualifies the jersey as being the same one in the photo.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9835/bat3un1.jpg

rudy.

hblakewolf
11-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Rudy-

Let me shed a bit of light on this.

Notice how the photo of Jordan with the kid has a smaller patch than the one you show on the Grey Flannel jersey (4 stripes as compared to 5). Likewise, note the additional gold thread on the top of the patch worn by Jordan with the kid.

In 1994, those minor league teams who wore the 125th patch had a DIFFERENT version than theose worn by the MLB teams. Not only was the minor league version smaller, but the top also noted "PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL". The MLB version did not have this verbiage.

The photo below clearly shows the difference in size and top banner with PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

kingjammy24
11-10-2008, 02:43 PM
howard

what are you implying here? that someone managed to procure a legit barons gamer and in order to make the value skyrocket they added an MLB 125 patch (rather than the proper Minor League 125 patch) in order to date it to 1994 (jordan's only year with the barons) and a close-but-not-quite socks patch?

howard that is crazy talk. i find it far more plausible that the barons gave jordan a special MLB patch and a strange socks patch on one of his jerseys and he simply wasn't photographed in that particular jersey because in 1994 folks had very little interest in what jordan was doing with the barons.

it's a little like GFC's 1994 rodriguez rookie jersey. some may think the tagging looks suspicious but i say poppycock to them. it's clear that when the jersey went through hundreds of washes, the water and detergent only touched the poly tag and never went near the russell tag or the strip tag. actually, that's not entirely true. the water and detergent did go near the russell tag but it went at it so hard that it shredded the threads and left the tag completely unpuckered. i call it the "coppola effect". it's only found on superstar rookie jerseys.

rudy.

Lokee
11-10-2008, 03:06 PM
looks like the jersey has been taken down.

cohibasmoker
11-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Chris and the forum staff,

You guys had better get a handle on some of your forum members - they continue to sit behind their computers and cause trouble.

Jim

kingjammy24
11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
actually, to be fair and honest, i think the GFC crew deserve some credit in removing the jersey extremely promptly. this thread was still being written when they removed the jersey. compare that with AMI/Victor Moreno who's chosen to leave the abysmal 1986 Canseco shirt and bizarre 1998 Canseco helmet in his auction for over a week now since the original threads on them began.

rudy.

lund6771
11-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Chris and the forum staff,

You guys had better get a handle on some of your forum members - they continue to sit behind their computers and cause trouble.

Jim

are you serious?

Lokee
11-10-2008, 07:19 PM
I think if the auction houses (none in particular)where not so quick to have an auction every month and did there re-search there would be no problems. I would think they have ALL the tools if not more that us to know if an item is real or not. We simply point of the most OBVIOUS and sometimes not so obvious problems with an item.

I always thought the proof was in the pudding.

flaco1801
11-11-2008, 01:03 AM
why do any research. they check this forum... if it doesnt get any press, they can assume its good....

commando
11-11-2008, 10:32 AM
So let's see....

Grey Flannel doesn't know the difference between a Major League and Minor League 125th Anniversary patch

Grey Flannel doesn't know the difference between a legit '94 Barons sleeve patch and an obviously fake one (unless they have proof we are unaware of).

Great job, GFC! Keep those authentication letters a' comin'!