PDA

View Full Version : It's the sellers responsibility!!!!!

3arod13
11-10-2008, 10:41 AM
It's the sellers responsibility to divulge all information known about the item they're selling!

Why is it that some sellers who know more information about the item they're selling, believe it's the potential buyers job to dig it out of them or go find out about it themselves?

Here's an example which someone contacted me on the side trying to sell me an arod gamer.

Seller: I know you collect A-rod memorabilia. I'm in the middle of trading an item with a fellow collector, and he is offering me a 1999 Alex Rodriguez game used red bat which is really rare. John Taube said it was 1 of 6 ordered by A-rod. But i wanted to know if i were to go through with the trade if you would be interested in buying it. The link is to the bat, from when he bought it. Thanks

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=47071&Lot_No=12504&src=pr (http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=47071&Lot_No=12504&src=pr)

My response: Since you're aware that John Taube said it was 1 of 6 ordered by A-rod (which isn't true), then I'm sure you are also aware that John Taube said 6 bats were ordered on 3-16-99. Pro player rep is the name on the order meaning they were charged to his in house account and not Arods. Probably sent to him as a sample to try. Bats were 34 inches 31 ounces.
I hope you weren't intentionally leaving the additional details out in order to sell me the bat.

Seller: I didn't know that, Taube just sent me an email about the same thing you just said. Sorry i was not trying to do anything bad. I guess ill pass on his trade then. Thanks anyway and sorry

There's no doubt in my mind this seller had all information provided by John Taube before they contacted me.

This seller you can read for yourself:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=20373

The information about the bat being used in spring training, should have been mentioned from the start.

As many of you may remember, I bought a Robinson Cano Game Used Minor League Glove from someone. When I got the glove, I found a name on the straps. Did a lot of reseach on the glove and found the glove was stolen from Cano's locker. Also found out the glove came out of Puerto Rico before being sold through LeLands. The glove was most likely used by a someone or a player in Puerto Rico.

I sent the glove to John Taube to have the glove documented correctly and then sold the glove.

Yes, I could have easily kept this to myself and just sold the glove for more money. Personally, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did somethimg like that.

It ticks me off when I have to continously question the seller to where they finally divulge additional information about the item that they already knew.

Very frustating.

Regards, Tony

3arod13
11-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Sorry, should be "Exhibition Game" vice "Spring Training"

AWA85
11-10-2008, 11:04 AM
I agree, it seems like there are so many people out there trying to pull a fast one on a customer. You really have to be careful about everything that is purchased these days and who you are purchasing from.

Good post!

allstarsplus
11-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Tony - Great Post and unfortunately the same has happened on the Forum's new "For Sale" section where some potential sellers have tried to sell misleading or outright fake stuff http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=19760

---now of course mostly all the sellers on there are honest, but a few somehow find there way on there. That is why I have made the suggestion to the Admins to require photographs to be included on each "For Sale" item, but like you said you would hope the sellers would give a complete description.

Honesty-Integrity-Truth HIT

eisenreich8
11-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I, too, am grateful for this thread. I was interested in a GU bat offered for sale here recently, but one straight on pic tells me little, and I felt I shouldn't have to ask the obvious and important details like markings on the knob, or barrel end, cracked or not, from whence obtained, etc. I just made a personal decision to pass on it and wait till a better pedigreed example came along.

AWA85
11-10-2008, 01:25 PM
It really has come to the point that you have to research every item completely before making a bid or purchase. Seems like those simple questions have to be asked on EVERYTHING now. There is an extreme amount of garbage out there, and it is nice having the references and resources this board presents.

bigtruck260
11-10-2008, 01:36 PM
I am still irritated by 'big name' sellers that list items as GAME USED when there are no signs of actual use present. Ball/Seam marks are good signs of use...rack marks and tar are not. Rack marks and tar might make an item GAME READY, which is ok (to me), but listing an item as GU when it is clearly not - will always be an issue.
I bought 2 items in the past that were listed a 'used' and showed nothing more than a few rack scrapes. One lousy photo does nothing for a description. If you are not mentioning every detail, then you are not being totally upfront about an item.

Oh yeah - and if the number on the knob doesn't match the player's number...it does not mean that it was used by the guy whose name is on the barrell AND the person whose number appears on the knob. There is always more investigating to be done.

skyking26
11-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Sorry, should be "Exhibition Game" vice "Spring Training"
Tony: I was going thru a bunch of stuff this weekend and happened upon a 6-card uncut panel of Fleer Ultra from 98. Arod, Lofton, McGwire, Andruw Jones, Garciaparra and Wood make up the panel. Across each card are the words promotional sample. Thought of you when I saw Arod. Any interest and you can have it for $12 ppd. with paypal. email me at skyking442@hotmail.com

Thanks - Bob

3arod13
11-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Tony: I was going thru a bunch of stuff this weekend and happened upon a 6-card uncut panel of Fleer Ultra from 98. Arod, Lofton, McGwire, Andruw Jones, Garciaparra and Wood make up the panel. Across each card are the words promotional sample. Thought of you when I saw Arod. Any interest and you can have it for $12 ppd. with paypal. email me at skyking442@hotmail.com

Thanks - Bob

Bob, thanks for the offer. However, I don't collect cards anymore. Sold my entire card collection to concentrate on game used stuff.

Regards, Tony

skyking26
11-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Yea, cards don't do it for me anymore except for Kingman Topps Vault stuff...

momen55
11-10-2008, 08:13 PM
i agree totally! misleading is the least that can be said. i bought an item from someone here, believe it or not, and it wasn't as described even after asking more questions before buying.
needless to say, i have an item i don't want and no intentions on the sellers part to refund me. that's bogus that it happened here, on this form! i expect that on ebay, but here?