PDA

View Full Version : ebay deadbeats

momen55
11-08-2008, 05:17 PM
has anyone taken legal action against deadbeats that bid on stuff and don't pay! those ****** are really pissing me off. after all, it is a binding contract.
i don't think any of us would go to an auction and bid and win and not pay. that wouldn't fly. just because it is over the net, people think they can get away with it.

FastLane80
11-08-2008, 05:43 PM
It's a part of dealing with eBay. Did you go through all of the proper steps like sending them a non-payment notice (or something like that) and then if they fail to respond to that, report it to eBay and repost the item. Don't feel alone. It happens to everyone ;)

markize
11-08-2008, 06:59 PM
has anyone taken legal action against deadbeats that bid on stuff and don't pay! those ****** are really pissing me off. after all, it is a binding contract.
i don't think any of us would go to an auction and bid and win and not pay. that wouldn't fly. just because it is over the net, people think they can get away with it.

momen,

i never went that far with a buyer, but i have with a seller. i won an auction back in 2004, and seller stiffed me. went through all the steps with ebay etc, and finally filed charges with the ocean county, NJ courts. came to find out later the seller had shafted about 29 buyers in all. his lawyer got him into a pre trial intervention program that allowed him to dodge jail time, but he had to make restitution within 3 years. i had received numerous letters in the mail from the court, and victim witness protection office that he was making payments. finally, about 3 months ago, i got a letter stating he had completed making restitution, and was being released. the problem with that is i never got a dime. i called the assistant prosecutor (i admit i was a bit hostile) to see why i never got my $ back. he told me some crap about how they selected 15 cases they thought would give the court system the best chance to nail this guy, and basically i was fu**ed. he said i could file a civil complaint against him. it didn't make sense to me as i would think taking 29 charges against him would provide a better chance of successful prosecution. i asked the prosecutor what gave them the right to pick and choose who would get their $ back, and he couldn't answer. my problem is, by the time i get a lawyer, and win the case, i will be left with $2. TOTAL BS in my opinion. any lawyers on here have any advice?

mark
sirfuzzy@comcast.net

allstarsplus
11-08-2008, 07:13 PM
For every bad story, I have a good one. Recently I had some guy make a best offer of $3,500 on one of my items and I accepted. Then he doesn't pay. The guy had feedback of 11. After I filed a Non-Paying Bidder form against him, he claimed he made the wrong bid.

Total d--che.

This week I had a guy on another auction make a Best Offer of $2,300 on an item and he had Zero feedback. This time I sent him an email to call me before accepting and surprisingly he did and we completed the auction and he paid by credit card direct.

On the buying side, a seller never shipped the item and PayPal paid off with no problems.

I think I run 9 out of 10 transactions go well. Probably the same as society as a whole.

Caveat emptor! Caveat venditor! (Buyer beware! Seller beware!) ;)

markize
11-08-2008, 07:19 PM
On the buying side, a seller never shipped the item and PayPal paid off with no problems.

andrew,

i wish paypal was an option, but the seller only accepted money orders. the sad part is that his feedback was perfect at that time.......like i said, any lawyers out there want to offer free advice before i end up on judge judy or something:(

mark

skyking26
11-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Have not had a non-payer yet...but I have items that don't meet say a $85 reserve, but next highest bid is $81. You give the guy a chance to buy at what he offered and he will not respond? Happens all the time. Buyers remorse I guess. I also don't get why these guys won't respond to a question (buyer). They pay their invoice but will not respond to any inquiry whatsoever... Amazing.

RK