PDA

View Full Version : Kyle- just wanted to follow-up on a match-

joecoco
10-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey Kyle- You graciously helped me with a pic a Doug using what I beleive to be the following bat on 9/17/07. I am trying to figure out how many games he may have used it in. Basically, there is a distinct grain mark at the top of the bat on the reverse side that I try to match up but have been having trouble finding pics on getty and the like. Just wondering if you could pull your magic and see what you could find. Again, not to be a pain and if you don't have time, no biggie! Thanks a lot in advance - Joe Cocozzella

kylehess10
10-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Sure....once I get home later tonight I'll start searching with MLB.tv

joecoco
10-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Hey thanks a lot Kyle! You are such a huge help. - Joe

kylehess10
11-02-2008, 12:49 AM
I checked September 16th, and he appears to be using the same bat. On September 12th & 11th (his previous 2 at-bats), he was using a different bat. The grain appears to match on the 16th

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/kylehess1025/wicz91607.jpg

joecoco
11-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks a lot Kyle! I wish I could return the same favor, but greatly appreciate your time- Cheers- Joe

joecoco
11-02-2008, 08:05 AM
I do work in the mental health field, so if you are ever stressed out by a photomatch, have no qualms to contact me:) just kidding, thanks again Kyle, I think I speak for everyone when i say that the board is lucky to have you. Good luck in your shower sandle quest! - Joe

ndevlin
11-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Do $5 a pop. I think everyone wouldnt have a problem with that.

kingjammy24
11-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I checked September 16th, and he appears to be using the same bat. On September 12th & 11th (his previous 2 at-bats), he was using a different bat. The grain appears to match on the 16th

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/kylehess1025/wicz91607.jpg

kyle

where's the match on that one?

rudy.

nomarmauerfan
11-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Rudy,
I believe its based on the grain (the upside down "V") over the MLB logo. I think the grain matches up, but the tar looks a little different. Close, but, I'd want to see a few more pics. Nice job Kyle. Very impressive skills.

Mike

nomarmauerfan
11-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I take the tar comment back. If you rotate the bat back slightly, I can see where you're coming from. I, too, believe its a match.

Mike

kingjammy24
11-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Rudy,
I believe its based on the grain (the upside down "V") over the MLB logo. I think the grain matches up, but the tar looks a little different. Close, but, I'd want to see a few more pics. Nice job Kyle. Very impressive skills.

Mike

over the TPX logo? i've been trying to match up a blond LVS in my collection for a long time now. one of the ways i've been trying to do it is via the grain. my experience in doing this is that i've come very close lots of times but there was always some small difference that negated a photomatch. in my own experience, i encountered lots of very similar grain patterns. the "circular/diamond" shape that runs the length of the barrel was a common one. i saw grains that had 80% in common with each other. it would only be on a close examination that i'd notice some small deviation. again, those mlb.tv pics are so blurry that you can barely make out grain specifics.

as you say, the tar patterns are very different. anything that shows on the mlb.tv bat must necessarily be on the bat shown in the personal photo. in establishing that these two bats are the same, how do you reconcile the notable pine tar differences?

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/2350/batvg5.jpg

rudy.

3arod13
11-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Hey Kyle- You graciously helped me with a pic a Doug using what I beleive to be the following bat on 9/17/07. I am trying to figure out how many games he may have used it in. Basically, there is a distinct grain mark at the top of the bat on the reverse side that I try to match up but have been having trouble finding pics on getty and the like. Just wondering if you could pull your magic and see what you could find. Again, not to be a pain and if you don't have time, no biggie! Thanks a lot in advance - Joe Cocozzella

I love how used that bat looks. Nice bat!

nomarmauerfan
11-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Rudy,
Turn the actual bat photo (not the game one) slightly to the right. You'll see the little "point" in the tar pattern that matches up. The spot that you circled will now be just about out of the photograph. I know I didn't do a very good job of explaining it, but, can you see what I'm talking about? Perhaps a new photo of the bat with it rotated slightly would help us b/c then it will match up with the game photo. I'm probably hurting more than I'm helping, but, hopefully, you get what I'm talking about.

Mike

kingjammy24
11-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Rudy,
Turn the actual bat photo (not the game one) slightly to the right. You'll see the little "point" in the tar pattern that matches up. The spot that you circled will now be just about out of the photograph. I know I didn't do a very good job of explaining it, but, can you see what I'm talking about? Perhaps a new photo of the bat with it rotated slightly would help us b/c then it will match up with the game photo. I'm probably hurting more than I'm helping, but, hopefully, you get what I'm talking about.

Mike

hey mike

i don't see it. my issue is the little pine tar "spike" and the "clear" area.

if you look at lots of blonde LVSs, tons of them have the upside-down V in that exact area. when i match the grains, i try to match as many as possible, not simply 1 grain. in a way, it's like pinstripe matching. some people match a couple and call it a day. i've seen jerseys where the pinstripes match up perfectly on the front and not on the back, yet i've seen so many posts that only match up the front. my personal opinion is that sometimes people are just overeager to get a match. they'll match 1 grain or a couple of stripes and start cheering. kyle did a good match on the astros tejada because he did the front, back, and seams. how many have you seen where folks just do the front? my question always is "what about the back? and the sides?". should we just assume those match up? because there's a good chance they won't.

anyway, here's a random carter photo and my carter. both have the upside-down V. big whoop huh. they're obviously not the same bat. i've found tons with the V and tons that show very similar grain patterns to my carter but none show every single grain being identical. with the mlb.tv photo, you can barely see that 1 grain and you certainly can't match up all of the others so how can anyone reach a level of certainty that leaves no doubt?

anyway, if you or anyone else can illustrate how the pine tar actually does somehow match up, i'd like to see it.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4999/batts2.jpg

rudy.

kylehess10
11-02-2008, 02:47 PM
This is how I view the match:

The grain splits right at the TPX logo, and if you follow the grain on the left all the way down, it will lead you to a line of tar. The picture of the bat (not the screenshot) shows the same thing if you follow that left grain all the way down, along with the same split in the grain at the TPX logo.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/kylehess1025/wicz916072.jpg