PDA

View Full Version : How about "game played"

Rob L
10-30-2008, 11:27 PM
The Liriano jersey thread got me thinking about the game used/worn and team issued labels that are attached to jerseys.

I believe Joel stated, rightly so, that a jersey should be considered game used/worn if the jersey is worn during a game that the player is eligible to play in. This completely makes sense and the game used/worn designation is warranted.

The Liriano thread was started because the it was sold as a Game Used jersey but wasn't actually used in a game. My thought has been that if Liriano wore it during a game, it's game used. But what about using the term "game played" for jerseys that saw action in a game? It would require some sort of provenance that shows it was game used (either through an appropriate COA or a photomatch of game action). I know the industry wouldn't accept this but maybe it could be used on this board to help distinguish the jerseys that were worn during a game vs. those that saw game action. Thoughts?

bigtruck260
10-31-2008, 12:06 AM
I like the idea. I have not started a jersey collection simply because there are just too many questionable/unworn items. Both times I have bought jerseys, they were from the Cardinals, and unfortunately were sold as 'used', but the players sat the bench on the days the jerseys were worn...

One was an Opening series piece, and one was a throwback. If card companies can used the term 'event used'...why not be even more specific when listing limited edition type jerseys as game played - if the player actually wore it while playing in a game - and it can be documented somehow via photo match or concrete proof.

twins14
10-31-2008, 04:52 AM
I like the idea as well. The Liriano jersey that I have in my possession now means more to me because I can look on the Twins website and see that he wore the road jersey on all of his road starts. This doesn't absolutely guarantee me that the team issued road jersey that I have in my hands was actually worn by him. But, with the pictures and the wear on the jersey and the fact that the pro shops only had one road jersey between them all I am pretty confident.

I was certainly not pleased when game footage bore out that he did not wear the home alternate that I had originally bought. With all of his jerseys being priced at the same amount, I can't help but to feel that most people would prefer the jersey that saw game action.