PDA

View Full Version : How many NFL jerseys does a player wear each season?

sonic
10-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Like the thread's title asks, I'm curious as to how many jerseys a football player wears during a season. I read somewhere that each player is only issued one home and one away jersey, plus a pair of backups, for the season. This probably has changed given that the NFL Auction offers recently GU jerseys every week.

I'd really love it if someone in the know would share their thoughts on this subject. Thanks in advance!

otismalibu
10-29-2008, 08:00 PM
This site has 8 Santonio Holmes Steelers jerseys from last season.

http://www.josportsco.com/

trsent
10-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Like the thread's title asks, I'm curious as to how many jerseys a football player wears during a season. I read somewhere that each player is only issued one home and one away jersey, plus a pair of backups, for the season. This probably has changed given that the NFL Auction offers recently GU jerseys every week.

I'd really love it if someone in the know would share their thoughts on this subject. Thanks in advance!

I know of some player(s) who wear two jerseys a game, each and every game. Yes, they change every game at half-time.

lund6771
10-30-2008, 01:22 AM
This site has 8 Santonio Holmes Steelers jerseys from last season.

http://www.josportsco.com/

They have 15 Shawn Springs jerseys from last year alone

aeneas01
10-30-2008, 03:30 AM
this question has been asked i the past - i responded with the following after speaking with "red" batty, equipment manager of the greenbay packers...

---------------

last month i had long chat with "red" batty, equipment manager of the green bay packers. as a matter of fact, after our phone conversation i emailed him to thank him for his generous time and to also ask if he would, should he ever get a free moment, mind participating in a q&a that i would share with this forum - i included 10 questions in my email. so far no response to my email/questions but i'm still holding out hope!

anyway, "red" is a great guy and he's extremely aware of the enormous amount of fraud going on when it comes to "game used" and "game issued" items. he also seems very eager to do whatever he can by happily answering any questions posed by concerned collectors. when i spoke with him i got the distinct feeling that he gets phone calls like mine all of the time - i also got the distinct feeling that he doesn't at all consider such phone calls a bother.

i had called "red" to ask him about four "game issue" favre tb helmets listed on ebay by gridironauthentics - four favre tb helmets which ga claimed were the only ones like this to be "ever released" (when pressed, ga later told me that these helmets "were released" by so-and-so reconditioner and didn't come from the packers). "red" told me than none of favre's helmets are in circulation.

anyway, and to the question of this post, "red" touched on other things including jerseys. he told me that he issues exactly 6 jerseys to each player at the start of the year as follows: 2 practice, 2 home and 2 away. he also said that 2 jerseys per player are always packed for every game so that a backup is available if a jersey tears or if a player wants to change at halftime because it is soaked from rain or covered with mud. he went on to say that the far majority of players use the same jersey throught the year.

here's a link to that thread - lots of of interesting info regarding this topic...

https://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10495

-------------------------------

and here's a link to what the carolina panthers do - pretty much the same as the packers...

Each Panther player is equipped with a set of practice jerseys (one each in white, black and the team's color), as well as four game jerseys -- two in color or black and two in white. Players will change jerseys at half time if it is raining.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/fb-equip10.htm

helmets
10-30-2008, 06:27 AM
I think it depends on the team. The Packers do not typically sell their helmets or jerseys like other teams do. When you look at the Cowboys, they have made a profit center out of selling their game used helmets, jerseys, and even pants. Because of this, they are issued a number of jerseys and pants, When you look at auctions that feature Cowboys items, there seems to be a different jersey and pants set for every game that they play during the season. They seem to go through a different helmet each year.

Along the lines of what Aeneas stated about Batty and helmets, and I would imagine it would be similar with jerseys for the Packers -

I called Batty about a Packers GU helmet that was offered by Broadway Rick. It was a "star" receivers helmet that was a Packer for eight (8) seasons. He told me that he still had that players TWO helmets that he wore for the Packers in their storeroom. TWO helmets in eight years for a star receiver. He told me that when he got to the team in '93 there were very few helmets as the team had sold them or let the players keep them. He claims he has "tried" to not let any out since. When you think of it, that is probably true - almost always when you see a Packers GU helmet for sale, it is from the late '80's or early '90's. Same with jerseys.

Kid4hof03
10-30-2008, 08:17 AM
I recall reading an interview in SCD with Danny White a few years ago. He said that he wore only one helmet his entire career with the Cowboys and the he still owned it.

I realize that things have changed a lot in the last 20 years since he retired but I had never considered a player wearing one helmet for 11 seasons.

aeneas01
10-30-2008, 08:40 AM
I recall reading an interview in SCD with Danny White a few years ago. He said that he wore only one helmet his entire career with the Cowboys and the he still owned it. I realize that things have changed a lot in the last 20 years since he retired but I had never considered a player wearing one helmet for 11 seasons.

exceptionally educational threads - q & a with the dolphins mark clayton:

Q3: How many jerseys and helmets would you go through each season?

MARK CLAYTON: I may have used 2, at the most 3 jerseys per season and the same 1 helmet my whole career.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=9532

Dewey2007
10-30-2008, 09:40 AM
While this was a while ago my friend that played in the mid to late 80's said while with the Eagles they were issued two home, road, and practice jerseys per season.

Jags Fan Dan
10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
This is just my own hunch, but I think now most skill players are using a different jersey for every game. There will, of course, be exceptions. But, for example, it seems Mark Brunell in 1997 was wearing a different jersey for every game, because I have two home jerseys and both have the opponent and date written on the tag, apparently by the equipment manager. I believe these may have been designated for those games prior to the start of the season. For example, my jersey that is inscribed "Game Used 9/22/97" has "Pitt 9/22" written in black sharpie very small on the bottom of the tail tag. Same deal with my jersey photo matched to 11/30/97, it says "BAL 11/30" on the tail tag in the same black sharpie. So even over a decade ago or maybe even longer, some of these guys were switching at least every game. At least, that is my opinion.

G1X
10-30-2008, 10:21 AM
As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, it sometimes depends on how aggressive a team is in marketing its uniforms or using them for other purposes such as charity fundraising. For example, Washington started a setup several years ago where they pick 16 "marquee" players before each season and have those players wear a new jersey in each game. Washington's equipment manager attaches a special tag in the tail on each of the "marquee" players' jersey denoting the game and date. After the game, he bags each jersey separately (unwashed), and the jerseys will often end up with legitimate outfits such as J.O. Sports who have entered into a contractual relationship with the team to sell the jerseys. That is the reason that J.O. Sports has multiple game-worn jerseys of certain players (such as the 15 Shawn Springs jerseys), and that was the reason that Game Exclusives had an abundance of certain 'Skins star players in previous years.

(NOTE: I am not sure of the exact year that the game ID tags were first used, but they were on the "marquee" players' jerseys from the 2006 season that I obtained directly from the team.)

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Atlanta Falcons and WFL jerseys

sonic
10-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I'm a complete newbie and I appreciate the willingness to share info. :D

nyjetsfan14
10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, it sometimes depends on how aggressive a team is in marketing its uniforms or using them for other purposes such as charity fundraising. For example, Washington started a setup several years ago where they pick 16 "marquee" players before each season and have those players wear a new jersey in each game. Washington's equipment manager attaches a special tag in the tail on each of the "marquee" players' jersey denoting the game and date. After the game, he bags each jersey separately (unwashed), and the jerseys will often end up with legitimate outfits such as J.O. Sports who have entered into a contractual relationship with the team to sell the jerseys. That is the reason that J.O. Sports has multiple game-worn jerseys of certain players (such as the 15 Shawn Springs jerseys), and that was the reason that Game Exclusives had an abundance of certain 'Skins star players in previous years.

(NOTE: I am not sure of the exact year that the game ID tags were first used, but they were on the "marquee" players' jerseys from the 2006 season that I obtained directly from the team.)

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Atlanta Falcons and WFL jerseys

As usual, great info. Mark. Which brings me to a couple points, for which maybe I should start a new thread, about current NFL collecting. First off, am I the only one out here that believes the NFL using Reebok exclusively had taken a huge amount of the fun out of collecting? I hate the fact that all jerseys look the same without any character. To me it was much more interesting when teams contracted their own suppliers and in some cases teams used multiple suppliers at one time (i.e. my beloved Jets). Everything is so sterile now and IMHO boring. The Reebok monopoly has really destroyed the detective work and the uniqueness of pieces. Anybody else agree or disagree?

And then as it pertains to value and why these current pieces tend to generate such high prices in NFL auctions. We know that most players are wearing up to a half dozen jerseys a season (and as we have already noted in this thread, there are star players possibly wearing two a game!) so there is no really rare piece anymore. I guess I can understand the allure of owning a documented piece from a specific game (maybe a game in which a collector really enjoyed or thought was significant) but to fork out hundreds or even thousands for a piece that you already know there are many others out there...I don't get it. I see many a great vintage piece listed on e-Bay or here in the classifieds that go unwanted while current flash in the pan players who have an overabundance of Reebok jerseys get big $ in the auctions (a good example would be a Ben Graham jersey - yes a punter - gettin 2K last year in the Jets auction and now he is serving beer in an Australian pub).

Just some thoughts...happy collecting

trsent
10-30-2008, 09:43 PM
(a good example would be a Ben Graham jersey - yes a punter - gettin 2K last year in the Jets auction and now he is serving beer in an Australian pub).

Is that a higher pressure job than punting in the NFL?