PDA

View Full Version : Twins Jersey questions

twins14
10-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Hi, This is my first post here and I admittedly know nothing about game used items. I collect PSA graded sportscards and know that side of the house however.

I grew up a huge Twins fan and an even bigger Hrbek fan. In 1994, they were threatening a strike and I said that if they went on strike I would never go to another game again. Well, I went to Hrbek's last game in 1994 before the strike and stayed true to my promise of never going to another game until last year. I figured staying away for 13 years proved my point.

Last year I went to over 30 games and became hooked again. I have bought 7 non game used jerseys already and get to the games when the gates open to get balls during BP.

I was at a Twins Pro Shop last week buying yet another jersey. This time the late 70's to early 80's home jersey which I am having customized with Hrbek's 14 on it. I noticed that they sold game used jerseys there. I almost pulled the trigger on a home alternate Liriano but I wanted to educate myself first on game used jerseys prior to making any purchases.

So I found this site and come humbly looking for knowledge. Please suffer with me for a few questions.
1. Is $400 for a home alternate Liriano a good price?
2. It seems that the Pro Shop would be a bit higher in price but since they are part of the baseball club you could be assured of getting the real deal. Is this the case and are there other outlets that are as trustworthy?
3. What is the general price range for Twins jerseys? What could I expect to pay for a Hrbek gamer for instance?
4. I have never been to a Twins Fest. Would this be a good event to get legit game used jerseys?
5. Does getting a game used jersey signed add or detract from it's value?

Thanks for reading my post. I look forward to becoming a collector of game used jerseys. I have an extra room in my house that is just dying to be used to display various sports items.

indyred
10-27-2008, 11:01 AM
I'll try and help.

1. $400 is good price on Liriano game used jersey. Just make sure it's not from 2007. He didn't pitch that year and I believe he did dress for games that season on his rehab and they may have jerseys he sat on the bench with for sale.

2. Twins pro shop is the best place to find gamers. You can't beat that source. People are willing to pay more when buying straight from the team or off mlb.com auctions.

3. Prices can range quite a bit on Twins gamers. They are a pretty popular team that gets collected. I've never seen a Hrbek gamer for sale, but he was a very popular i would expect his legit game used jerseys to be over $500.

4. The Twins pro shop has a big booth at Twinsfest. Sometimes they have stuff marked down fairly cheap on low end player's. Also they have auctions. It's well worth taking a look there.

5. It really depends on what you like. Been quite a few threads in here on this topic. I really don't care for getting game used jerseys signed. I do like game used bats signed though. It's all a matter of taste.

Their are a few hard core Twins collectors on this fourm. I know mainly about more recent stuff. Also, a Twins bat boy is on this site. I believe his id is twinsbb17.

lund6771
10-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi and you came to the right place...

Twins pro-shop is a great source and you know that it's real...

Bats, Gloves, Bases, etc...is all awesome

with the jerseys you need to be somewhat carefull...the jerseys are directly from the team, but I'm not convinced that they have an internal tracking system to insure that they are actually worn on the field...I saw a home Mauer there a couple of years ago and looked at pictures from almost every game and could not match it

twins14
10-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the answers so far! I pulled the trigger on that home alternate Liriano today. I think he has a ton of upside and will be an all star again. For $400, I think it was fairly priced.

The Twins Pro Shops all got in their end of season game used gear and are bursting at the seams with all sorts of nice stuff. The 3 Pro Shops all have slightly different inventory. I visited two today.

Here are their prices on game used jerseys from what I remember.
Bonser-$200 (I asked if that was they would give you for taking it off their hands, Boof is a bum)
Crain-$200
Slowey-$400
Liriano-$400
Gardenhire-$300
Bass-$100
Maurer-$3,000
Morneau-$2,000
Nathan-$1,000
Punto-$400
Cuddyer-$400
Perkins-$400
Young-$400
Gomez-$500
Ruiz-$300
Span-$400
Casilla-$400

That is what I can recall off the top of my head. They had a few others as well. The most common price was $400. There were 4-5 players that could be had for $200. When you think about it, a Twins customized jersey costs $200 at the Pro Shop. There is that small handful of players where the fact that they wore it playing major league ball doesn't raise the price one red cent.

They also had a fresh assortment of hats and bats.