PDA

View Full Version : Cracked & Repaired vs. Natural

3arod13
10-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I know many collectors have differences of opinions about wanting a cracked bat that has been repaired.

I have found many really nice game used bats, but once I know they have been repaired, I'm not interested.

I would prefer a bat that has been cracked during use, to remain that way.

Your thoughs?

skyking26
10-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Hey Tony: See it both ways myself. I've been collecting game used bats since the late 80's. I have always shyed away from cracked bats as I want to be able to pull my bats from the rack and if I want to take a practice cut not be concerned about the bat. Just a personal thing with me. The only way I'd buy a cracked bat is if I needed that model or type and felt the chances were slim in finding it again, and the price were right. I feel a premium should be commanded for uncracked, that's just me.

Now, there have been times I've bought handle cracked bats, and being a carpenter I've glue and clamped it - and asthetically it looks better even though you can still see it is cracked.

Bob

bigtruck260
10-21-2008, 09:26 AM
I like them repaired -

BUT, only if the repair is done well. I will buy a cracked bat so that I can make a project out of it...I actually will shy away from a bat that is shattered.

For asthetics, repaired bats look better (to me) in a display, and they are easier to move when it's time to change things around. Not to mention, I have a boy in the house now who is curious. The wife is also not as careful as I am when touching my bats.

3arod13
10-21-2008, 09:40 AM
I guess I just can't get past that the bat has been altered after use. I agree that repaired it looks better. But I just can't get past it being repaired after the fact.

Vintagedeputy
10-21-2008, 09:59 AM
My choices:

1) a well used uncracked bat
2) a slightly cracked bat that remains steadily in one piece
3) a destroyed bat that I can display with a photo match showing its demise

skyking26
10-21-2008, 10:18 AM
I guess I just can't get past that the bat has been altered after use. I agree that repaired it looks better. But I just can't get past it being repaired after the fact.
Even in an uncracked bat situation, once the bat has changed hands umteen times, who knows what has actually been done to the bat? I agree with Bigtruck.

I have talked to guys who buy GU jerseys and wear them around to games and such. Can you believe it? You just don't know...

allstarsplus
10-21-2008, 10:59 AM
My choices:

1) a well used uncracked bat
2) a slightly cracked bat that remains steadily in one piece
3) a destroyed bat that I can display with a photo match showing its demise

Jim - I like your order but would take a light use bat if it had all player characteristics!

I don't like repaired bats unless it was broken into 2 pieces and the break was clean enough that it can be put back together. I would also expect the seller to disclose that it was repaired. Nothing worse than being told a bat is uncracked to see a repaired seam hidden under pine tar.

whatupyos
10-21-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't like repaired bats myself and agree with how Tony feels. I know others like repaired bats and I can appreciate their reasons as well, but my own personal preference is a bat, either uncracked or cracked that has not been altered. Just like jerseys, I prefer jerseys that have not been worn by anyone else other than the player themselves.

BULBUS
10-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I prefer a cracked bat myself. Many players have stated that they used a bat until it cracked. Paul O'Neill is an example. I wouldnt buy one of his bats unless it is cracked. Sure there are excemptions, bats were stolen, but I just cant trust a bat that isn't cracked.

I know todays players will use a bat for a couple at bats, then sell them uncracked, but I don't collect bats from todays palyers. There is just too much out there to have a unique peice.

3arod13
10-21-2008, 11:47 AM
I know todays players will use a bat for a couple at bats, then sell them uncracked, but I don't collect bats from todays palyers. There is just too much out there to have a unique peice.

I agree 100%

Jags Fan Dan
10-21-2008, 01:12 PM
I like cracked bats or bats with a lot of dead wood on the barrel because those characteristics answer a big question in my mind: "Why did the player stop using it?" To me, a lightly used bat leaves me to wonder where it came from more so than a cracked or heavily used bat.

Vintagedeputy
10-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Jim - I like your order but would take a light use bat if it had all player characteristics!

I don't like repaired bats unless it was broken into 2 pieces and the break was clean enough that it can be put back together. I would also expect the seller to disclose that it was repaired. Nothing worse than being told a bat is uncracked to see a repaired seam hidden under pine tar.

Agreed. That should be in the mix somewhere as well.

joelsabi
10-21-2008, 03:38 PM
I like cracked bats or bats with a lot of dead wood on the barrel because those characteristics answer a big question in my mind: "Why did the player stop using it?" To me, a lightly used bat leaves me to wonder where it came from more so than a cracked or heavily used bat.

similar. my question is on heavily used arod bat. why did he stop using it.

scottanservitz
10-21-2008, 09:26 PM
I collect both cracked and uncracked. I bought a severely cracked bat and just didn't like how it looked sitting at about a 45 degree angle. I repaired it the best I could and I like it better. My best bats are both slightly cracked and repaired and I have to admit, I like them that way only because it adds to the authenticity and the cracks are very hard to find anyways. I guess it depends on the collector. But I am really not a non-cracked or cracked bat guy specifically. It just depends if I want the bat or not as it is.
Scott

kylehess10
10-21-2008, 09:58 PM
I love BROKEN bats and broken bats only. They have a better look and eye appeal in my opinion and they are photomatched easily. I currently have 6 photomatched broken bats and they are basically the highlights of my collection. Plus once bats break, they get the MLB Holo so that's pretty good when it comes to authenticity.

joelsabi
10-21-2008, 11:35 PM
i have both cracked and noncracked in my collection.

crack bats seem to have lot of character and noncracked makes you wonder what more life is left in the bat or why was it abandoned for another bat. was the guy slumping and tried new wood?

i have seen nails in bat put in by the batboy. what is that all about? also i have seen bats that were kept together by tape after crack. those look worse than repaired or cracked bat imho.

panthrotc
10-24-2008, 01:23 AM
I prefer Cracked Bats. You know the player used it to a degree. I have a nicely used McGwire 98 Gamer that is uncracked. I'am assuming he did not go deep with it so he stopped using it. McGwire used a bat in 98 until it cracked or if he felt he just needed a switch. I heard from someone who has dealt with Longoria that he has become like McGwire with his bats. He will use them until they crack making them hard to come by. With cracked bats, you 100% it was used to some degree. And i need that piece of mind when i look at the item.

I have 5 Bats in my Game Used Bat Collection

4 of the 5 are cracked.

1990 McGwire CRACKED & Autographed
2000 McGwire CRACKED & Autographed
2007 Tyler Colvin CRACKED 7 Autographed
2008 Evan Longoria CRACKED & Autographed