PDA

View Full Version : Help with this helmet - Aeneas and others

gatorcollector
10-18-2008, 09:51 PM
I bought this on Ebay a few years ago. It was listed as a game worn Gator helmet, but my gut tells me it's not the real deal. I didn't pay that much for it and I still like it as a decorative item, but I'd like to know for sure if this is a UF gamer or not. This would have been worn in the late 90's or early 2000's. Thanks in advance for your help.

aeneas01
10-19-2008, 07:39 AM
as i've mentioned before, i don't collect modern helmets nor do i spend much time with them because they are very common, still manufactured and are generally readily available to the public - as such they tend to be very easy to duplicate. in fact there's a forum member that has spent great deal of time making and selling very nice modern reproductions for years.

having said that, a quick search reveals that marquis westbrook was a backup db for the gators from 1999-2000 and wore number 28. he also sported a riddell vsr4 lid and a egop facemask which is what you have.

why don't you see if you can locate the helmet date code which is stamped on the inside, near the top (crown area) - you might have to lift up some padding. see if you can also find any numbers and/or letters on the facemask clips and facemask.

fwiw your helmet has a nice feel to it - it doesn't strike me as an obvious reproduction. but, as i mentioned, i haven't spent too much time looking at modern helmets - especially modern college helmets. btw "o" on the side "gators" decal of your helmet is not typical of the "o" found on florida gamers - however this could be just a case of a batch of authentic game decals that bled a little too much...

aeneas01
10-19-2008, 10:29 AM
having said that, a quick search reveals that marquis westbrook was a backup db for the gators from 1999-2000...

make that 1999-2002...

what's up with not being able to edit on this board?