PDA

View Full Version : ot; ebay screwing us again!

momen55
10-14-2008, 04:51 PM
starting the 20th, sellers will no longer be able to accept money orders as payment. paypal, and whatever other crap they have only. the problem i have with that is the extra fees that paypal charges. buyers don't want to pay them and neither do i.
and, if the buyer decides to complain about the item as to say they didn't get it, they call their bank for a refund and get the item for free and the seller's account gets screwed out of the amount and the item. talk about greed.
ebay screws the little guy, and everybody like usual says "i can't do anything about it". sure we can, don't use ebay.
me, i don't like to have to pay paypal fees when ebay is already getting listing fees and fvf. i guess i won't be selling there very often anymore. i may just stop all together.

otismalibu
10-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Maybe you'll get enough new buyers to offset your added fees.

As a buyer, it's a pain to run and get a money order then drop it in the mail, not knowing when it will show up for the seller. Much easier to pay with a few clicks. In fact, I usually won't even bid if they don't take Paypal.

Just ship with DC and insure more expensive items and you shouldn't have any problem.

Fees are part of eBay/Paypal.

zonker
10-14-2008, 05:07 PM
amen brother! i just got screwed for 260+ because paypal refunded the buyer his money while i was out of time and i lost the item also! this is the second time the 1st time i disputed an item. (because it was bogus and dispute was awarded in my favor. i packed shipped with signature confirmation as they instructed. the buyer refused to sign for package 3 times. have usps confirmation's on all 3. now the post office doesn't know what happened to the item. as it was lost in his local usps in norfolk virginia. trail end's there! so he not only got my money the 1st time. know i'm out the bogus item, even after i did exactly what they stated i had to do to receive my refund. "ship" and send them the "tracking #'s". paypal insurance is for crap. i personnally will never use them again. and if ebay doesn't like that then the h*** with them too. auction houses and ebay/paypal are getting to greedy and offer no service. for all the money they require for said service and insurance. auction houses charge 22.5% to the seller and same to the buyer. that mean's 45% of all money recieved for "your" item end's up in there pocket's. rediculas!!!!!!!!!

trsent
10-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Maybe you'll get enough new buyers to offset your added fees.

As a buyer, it's a pain to run and get a money order then drop it in the mail, not knowing when it will show up for the seller. Much easier to pay with a few clicks. In fact, I usually won't even bid if they don't take PayPal.

Just ship with DC and insure more expensive items and you shouldn't have any problem.

Fees are part of eBay/PayPal.

Greg I agree what a pain it is to wait for a money order in the mail. I use a PO Box and when I am expecting money orders I often check my mail more often just to ship quickly.

Then again, I believe this new eBay policy is another step in the wrong direction. No reason to force people to have an electronic bank account if they do not have one. I have a friend who is a PowerSeller who for some dumb reason does not accept PayPal and is leaving eBay to sit on his trading cards since he cannot sell them on eBay anymore.

I think some people just want to pay the fees for mail and a money order - Silly as it sounds it may hurt eBay and seller of lower end items in the long run. Even though PayPal is simple and easy, some people still live in the last century.

otismalibu
10-14-2008, 05:20 PM
No reason to force people to have an electronic bank account if they do not have one.

Yeah, I'd have no interest in giving Paypal my banking information. Luckily, I joined PP so long ago (before they changed the rules), I have no credit limit and can just keep rolling with my registered CC. I'll be unverified for life. :)

I just sold something to a guy in Canada who insisted on sending me a money order (hiding the purchase from his better half), even though I prefer Paypal. I'd rather eat the $3-4 than have to wait for payment, and then drive down to the bank to cash it.

ndevlin
10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
I have no credit limit and can just keep rolling with my registered CC. I'll be unverified for life. :)

Hope you dont find something you really want, to only find out the seller only accepts verified members :cool:

otismalibu
10-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Hope you dont find something you really want, to only find out the seller only accepts verified members

I don't know if I've ever seen that stipulation listed by a seller. Maybe once. I know many people seem to get 'verified' and 'confirmed' confused as it relates to Paypal. I understand why sellers would hesitate shipping to an unconfirmed address. Is there any dangers for a seller selling to an unverified Paypal member?

trsent
10-14-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't know if I've ever seen that stipulation listed by a seller. Maybe once. I know many people seem to get 'verified' and 'confirmed' confused as it relates to Paypal. I understand why sellers would hesitate shipping to an unconfirmed address. Is there any dangers for a seller selling to an unverified Paypal member?

I believe if the address is confirmed and the seller uses insurance all is safe and well unless the unthinkable happens.

trsent
10-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I'd have no interest in giving Paypal my banking information. Luckily, I joined PP so long ago (before they changed the rules), I have no credit limit and can just keep rolling with my registered CC. I'll be unverified for life. :)

I just sold something to a guy in Canada who insisted on sending me a money order (hiding the purchase from his better half), even though I prefer Paypal. I'd rather eat the $3-4 than have to wait for payment, and then drive down to the bank to cash it.

My no PayPal friend stopped taking Canadian money orders. I believe he said they take three weeks to clear and payment can be stopped easily on them. I guess he got burned on one.

Spiezio23
10-14-2008, 05:57 PM
PayPal fees don't bother me as a seller one bit. I'm in the minority I'm sure but in all reality, when I sell anything I factor in the fees, or simply just let it be and I guess you could say I eat the fee. I have no issues paying them a service fee since I can get paid instantly. Sure, sometimes my profit is very small and to most not worth the time/effort but it's getting rid of the item that means more to me for the sake of space.

When I sell I NEVER tell anyone, sure I'll take PayPal but ONLY if you add xxx for the fees. Wrong.. factor that into your sell price or take the hit. In fact I just paid someone elses upfront fees but only because it was something I really wanted. I guess I don't mind it so much unless the person outright says they want extra for fees. It's not chemical engineering.. factor in estimated fees to your (minimum if an auction)asking price and you're set.

In the end, having to make less trips to the bank or the local MO place saves me time and theoreticaly gets my items to me quicker. I'm all in favor of the new change and welcome it with open arms.

Lokee
10-14-2008, 06:31 PM
starting the 20th, sellers will no longer be able to accept money orders as payment. paypal, and whatever other crap they have only. the problem i have with that is the extra fees that paypal charges. buyers don't want to pay them and neither do i.
and, if the buyer decides to complain about the item as to say they didn't get it, they call their bank for a refund and get the item for free and the seller's account gets screwed out of the amount and the item. talk about greed.
ebay screws the little guy, and everybody like usual says "i can't do anything about it". sure we can, don't use ebay.
me, i don't like to have to pay paypal fees when ebay is already getting listing fees and fvf. i guess i won't be selling there very often anymore. i may just stop all together.

You can still take money orders just not advertise it in your auction. Ebay says you can do this ONLY if you have a repeat buyer insisting on paying with a money order OR if you do it not on a regular basis.

Anyways it seems ebay/paypal (owned by the same company) are trying to pull off some kind of monopoly. Either way it is a quick way to get paid.

MSpecht
10-14-2008, 11:00 PM
A little off topic, but here is a suggestion for PayPal accounts as well as any/all internet banking transactions---- Go to a local (convenient) bank and open an account with say $250, $500, or maybe $1000 --- use this bank acct as Ebay (PayPal) acct. Then get a credit card from either the same bank or another local (convenient) bank. request a LOW credit line, say between $1000 to $2500. Use this credit card for all ebay, PayPal, or other internet banking transactions as well (i.e. Amazon, etc.) ---The point here is that with ID theft and other internet security issues, the last thing you want is for some dishonest vendor to have access to your primary bank account or a credit card with a $20,000 credit line. The suggestions above will at least limit your exposure to a relatively small amount of money if something unfortunate happens. For transactions that exceed the amounts in the "online" bank account or the "online" credit cared, something can be worked out with the seller, or money from another source can be put into the bank account and used on Paypal or whatever within a day or so to limit exposure. Just suggestions, but they help me sleep easier knowing some Nigerian bank scheme isn't going to find a way to tap into any of my primary accounts.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

allstarsplus
10-15-2008, 07:37 AM
A little off topic, but here is a suggestion for PayPal accounts as well as any/all internet banking transactions---- Go to a local (convenient) bank and open an account with say $250, $500, or maybe $1000 --- use this bank acct as Ebay (PayPal) acct. Then get a credit card from either the same bank or another local (convenient) bank. request a LOW credit line, say between $1000 to $2500. Use this credit card for all ebay, PayPal, or other internet banking transactions as well (i.e. Amazon, etc.) ---The point here is that with ID theft and other internet security issues, the last thing you want is for some dishonest vendor to have access to your primary bank account or a credit card with a $20,000 credit line. The suggestions above will at least limit your exposure to a relatively small amount of money if something unfortunate happens. For transactions that exceed the amounts in the "online" bank account or the "online" credit cared, something can be worked out with the seller, or money from another source can be put into the bank account and used on Paypal or whatever within a day or so to limit exposure. Just suggestions, but they help me sleep easier knowing some Nigerian bank scheme isn't going to find a way to tap into any of my primary accounts.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com Mike - Good idea. Also keep in mind that Money Orders, Cashiers Checks, Certified Checks have been problems too. For anyone that thinks these are ironclad, think again. I got burned on a fake Cashiers Check.

A buyer asks for upgraded next day shipping and they get your expensive item and pay with a counterfeit form of payment so before you realize that their money is "bad" they already have your item.

After my problem, I started requiring a person to have a valid PayPal account which you could do on eBay. I accepted all forms of payment after the auction, but all checks have a "hold".

Here is a 3 year old article on fake Money Orders:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/consumeractionguide/P122096.asp

bigtime59
10-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Used to be, you could bury your fees in the shipping fee, and everyone went home happy...except eBay!
Why are they so hyper on holding down shipping fees? Because they can only tap into them once (if the buyer pays with PayPal)! On the item itself, they tag you for listing, final value and PayPal fees. It's small change to us...and a giant stinking pile of small change to them.

ndevlin
10-26-2008, 09:48 PM

Oct 20th? I just won an item that started after the 20th and they do not accept Paypal as a method of payment.

otismalibu
10-26-2008, 09:58 PM
I heard they're not enforcing the Paypal only rule until Jan. 2009.

SkubeBats
10-26-2008, 10:14 PM
I also heard it would be in Jan. 2009
Thanks,
Jamie
jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

ndevlin
10-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Ahh, I see. Thanks guys.

momen55
10-29-2008, 10:15 PM
wrong. it is in affect now! i listed an item and left "money order or cashier's check only" at the bottom of the listing, and greedbay cancelled it:mad: i also had on there that i accepted paypal. freakin crooks!
just like everything and everyone that tries to gain control, sooner or later they go down.

joelsabi
10-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Making Winning Bidder IDs Anonymous

Early last year, we began to anonymize bidder IDs on listings. This change was designed to protect bidders from fake Second Chance Offers and other malicious emails. As I’ve shared before, this initiative has been very successful, resulting in a 90% reduction in this type of fraud.

Today, however, the winning bidder’s ID is currently visible to everyone after the listing ends, and this continues to lead to fake checkout offers and other spam. Consequently, it also leads to unpaid items, as winning bidders who fall victim to these fake emails often send payment to someone other than the seller.

Based on the positive results we’ve seen by anonymizing bidder User IDs, as well as our commitment to protecting all bidders from becoming targets for fraudsters, we’ve decided to extend anonymized User IDs to winning bidders, as well. This change will be implemented sometime this week.

As always, the following information will still be accessible:

Sellers will be able to view all bidder IDs on their listings.
All members can click on the bidder ID and view the bidder’s Bid History page, which will detail the categories in which they’ve bid over the past 30 days.
Feedback pages will show the same information as now – buyer and seller IDs, with comments visible to all.
Thanks for taking the time to read about these updates to improve safety on eBay, and we thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

John Canfield
Senior Director, eBay Trust & Safety