PDA

View Full Version : Transition for Red Sox Uniforms

RJB44
10-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi - I know that the Red Sox adopted their current uniform, at least home uniform, back in 1979. The road uniform has changed slightly from that time. I have two questions, 1) when did they trasition away from wearing the dark navy undershirts to the red? I know they wore the dark blue through the 1980's and part of the 1990's. Why did they change? I also see they don't wear the classic dark blue dugout jacket (with pair of red sox). 2) I know that teams for the most part did away with stirrups over the last ten years. However, some players still wear them. I see that the Red Sox no longer wear the Red, Black, and White colored stirrups. These were a great color combination. When did these get phased out? Now it's just plain red, even red stirrups.

Thanks

eisenreich8
10-13-2008, 10:18 PM
I can only speak to the dugout jackets: blue on the road, red at home, and they change design every season.

vsrg
10-14-2008, 07:45 PM
As I recall, the switch to the red was made in 2003. That included going from the stirrups with the red, white, and navy to solid red socks.

The team switched because the new (current) ownership group, specifically John Henry, said that he wanted to add more red to the team's color scheme, since, after all, they are the Red Sox.

The red alternate jersey and red bp jersey (at home, blue away) were also introduced at this time, as was the red home/blue away combo for the jacket.

Incidentally, the warning track at Fenway was also changed to be a bit more red soon after the new ownership took over (by using some crushed brick in the gravel, from what I understand).