PDA

View Full Version : Dustin Pedroia bat on ebay

gameu08
10-12-2008, 03:24 PM
can anyone shed some light or ideas on the pedroia bat on ebay? I know his used an M9 and this bat is from steiner.....please help me out

thanks
Mike

kellsox
10-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Going off memory...I don't recall Pedroia using this model bat this year. I own several Pedroia bats and have handled several more and almost all of them have a heavier and higher pine tar application and have been LVS. I also only remember 1 early bat in which the bottom of the handle was taped that way. My guess is a BP bat or a bat used by a teammate.
kelly

gameu08
10-12-2008, 03:49 PM
has he ever taped his bats before?

jetersbatboy
10-12-2008, 04:03 PM
The seller of the bat is a member of this forum, and he has a recenct post about this bat.

gameu08
10-12-2008, 04:23 PM
ok...so do you think its legit?

jetersbatboy
10-12-2008, 04:47 PM
I don't know of anyone that has had a complaint when purchasing from him. It seem legit with the steiner and MLB holo, we all know MLB take forever to update the system. I was the frist bidder and may bid again so I think its legit.

gameu08
10-12-2008, 04:50 PM
ok thanks alot man...you didnt happen to find a photomatch on this bat have you?

kellsox
10-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I would do a search on Getty and other photo sites to see if you can locate a pic of him with this model bat. Like I said earlier, i don't recall him using this model and have only seen 1 bat 2 years ago in which he has taped his bat on the knob. Regardless of who the seller is, my main concern would be if this bat was used by Pedroia in a game. I personallly would rather own a black M9(or other LVS bat) that I have seen him use in the last 2 seasons, but thats just me.

gameu08
10-12-2008, 05:05 PM
what are the chances of him this being that bat? It is from steiner and does have an mlb hologram? Pretty new to this hobby so going by your word

maccamania
10-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Going off memory...I don't recall Pedroia using this model bat this year. I own several Pedroia bats and have handled several more and almost all of them have a heavier and higher pine tar application and have been LVS. I also only remember 1 early bat in which the bottom of the handle was taped that way. My guess is a BP bat or a bat used by a teammate.
kelly
I have seen 2 blonde s318 bats with the taped handle like the one on ebay, they both had #64 on the knobs, which of course was his # before switching to #15. Its most likley something he did very early in his career.

jetersbatboy
10-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I think everyone will agree on this. If you are not confident with the bat don't bid on it. Its the best advice anyone has given me when it come to game used.

Sheffield11
10-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Sorry for the delayed response guys, i am the seller of this bat. I didnt realize this thread was started, i was still waiting for a response to my thread about this, but anyway i bought the bat straight from bob at steiner last week, im sure its legit because why steiner and mlb both be wrong? bob told me they only got in two pedroia bats and this was the only one left. i can answer anymore questions if you have any.

matt
10-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I also saw the other SSK (broken in 2) bat Bob had at Steiner and passed. I was unable to find any photo of him with an SSK. I have also seen other sox players (especially cash), using pedroia's bats since they are small. I have also seen an MLB holo authenticate a bat based on the name on the bat, NOT the guy who broke it. I suspect (have not witnessed) that they might even pick up a BP bat by mistake since they simply tag everything after the game that has been put aside.

So unless someone finds video of Pedey with an SSK, I am a bit too worried about this one. In any case, the resale value will always be higher for his typical M9.

Matt

gameu08
10-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Im looking at photos on getty images on pedroia and dont see him with any tape on his bats,maybe we can have kyle get on this and check it out?

gameu08
10-13-2008, 03:07 PM
does the pine tar job look like pedroias?

kellsox
10-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Sorry for the delayed response guys, i am the seller of this bat. I didnt realize this thread was started, i was still waiting for a response to my thread about this, but anyway i bought the bat straight from bob at steiner last week, im sure its legit because why steiner and mlb both be wrong? bob told me they only got in two pedroia bats and this was the only one left. i can answer anymore questions if you have any.

I highly doubt MLB was handed this bat directly from Pedroia. It is more likely this bat was in an area of the clubhouse with other bats waiting to be holo'd by MLB. Steiner is handed items from the Red Sox after authenticated by MLB and then their job is to sell them. I would be shocked if either entity looked into whether Pedroia actually used this bat. To say its legit because Steiner and MLB says so is very shortsighted(in my opinion). Several posters(including myself) have expressed doubt that Pedroia has used this model bat in a game. That's not even getting into the tape on the knob which hasn't been seen in 2 years and the apparent lighter than usual pine tar application. It is most likely a Pedroia model bat used by another player or in BP.