PDA

View Full Version : 1980's Football Helmets.

sacker12
10-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Guys,

I'm trying to make a replica of the helmet my school wore in the 1980's when we won National Championships (1984 & 1987). I'm trying to look on eBay for helmets that we used in the 1980's: either a cardinal shell or a helmet that I could get painted cardinal. What are some models by helmet companies that were used back then? From photos I have seen, the team used Bike, Rawlings, and Riddell. But, I would also take a helmet made by Maxpro if the offer comes.

Right now, the models I am looking at on eBay are a Riddell VSR3 and a Maxpro helmet with the impregnated shell and grey padding (I don't know if that was the All-American or not). Thanks.

aeneas01
10-12-2008, 10:10 AM
you have lots of helmets to choose from although rawlings was pretty much winding things down by that time. here are a few models you might want to look at - you will probably get the best deal on an af2, bike/ahi or wd1...

rawlings:
aims
rts
hcvp

bike/ahi (air)

riddell
pac3
wd1
af2
m155

sacker12
10-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Also, I have this question. Would it be just as good getting a youth helmet that is similar to the adult helmet? For example, if I were to find a PAC-44 youth helmet in a large, would it be just as good as getting a PAC-3 in a large? Mainly, will be they be the same size? Thanks.

sacker12
10-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Also, which Riddell had that round donut-shaped pad the top of the head: The AF-2, or the VSR-3?

aeneas01
10-12-2008, 03:25 PM
i don't know why you would consider a pac44 if your goal is to replicate your high school helmet - pac44 helmets were youth lids intended for jv use and below. but if the championship team you have in mind was a jv team, then a pac44 would be fine. vsr3 and af2 helmets both have "donut" crown pads. fwiw a gladiator would be a nice one as well...

sacker12
10-12-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm trying to replicate a helmet wore by my school when they won NAIA National Championships in 1984 & 1987. I'd be willing to settle for a youth helmet as long as it is the same size as an adult helmet since it is kind of scarce to find a good quality adult shell (thanks mostly to the scourge in the 1980's of unsafe helmets, as well as most reject shells being destroyed).

I'm trying to find a good quality shell to use to get repainted professionally if I can't find one that is the same color we wore. We wore molded cardinal helmets in the 1980's. The main place that I have been looking is eBay.

aeneas01
10-13-2008, 01:53 AM
in that case, sure, a youth helmet would work fine. why don't you contact ebayer bjsmoose - do a search for his name, click on one the helmets he has for sale, and then use the "contact seller" option to ask him if he can get you what you need. he's a great guy that buys old helmet inventories from high schools and sells them on ebay - he'll probably be able to fix you up. or you can always use this forum's "items wanted" section...

John in KY
10-13-2008, 08:46 AM
i don't know why you would consider a pac44 if your goal is to replicate your high school helmet - pac44 helmets were youth lids intended for jv use and below. but if the championship team you have in mind was a jv team, then a pac44 would be fine. vsr3 and af2 helmets both have "donut" crown pads. fwiw a gladiator would be a nice one as well...

Wouldn't an M-155 also have the donut crown pad? Maybe they used both the donut and the solid round pad like the HA-9/Microfit but I could have sworn I've seen photos of M-155s with the donut pad.

John in KY
10-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Sorry - after I posted I saw you were just answering the OP's question, not adding info. Just realized you can't edit your posts on this board:o

sacker12
10-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks aeneas. That's all I needed to know.

sacker12
10-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Actually, I do have another question. What Maxpro helmets were used in the 1980's? I see these Maxpro 2001 Model helmets, but are those from the 1980's? For what I've read, there was a brief time in the late 1980's-early 1990's when Riddell owned Maxpro (or at least the naming rights) and made helmet that were basically a Riddell shell with different padding in it. Thanks.

sacker12
10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks to some more research online, I have narrowed down the prospective helmet styles to these:

Rawlings AIMS
Bike/AHI Air
Riddell WD-1 or AF-2

The years that I am concentrating on are 1984-1987.

sacker12
10-16-2008, 08:46 PM
I just bought an unused white Riddell WD-1 and a grey OPO Red Dot mask from Dan Dunn today. It should arrive sometime next week. I was able to get both (with shipping) for $75. I thought it was a pretty reasonable deal considering what I was getting.

I was debating whether or not to buy that helmet or bid on a shop-worn cardinal Schutt Pro Air II on eBay, and then try to find the guts and bumpers for an old Bike helmet. But, I figured that 1) such parts may be hard to find and 2) the only to find these parts is to buy a used helmet, and those things may either be expensive or have parts that are so worn down that they are not worth using.

Plus, the center stripes I have for the helmet are individually cut, so I preferred to put them on a Riddell helmet rather than the Schutt.