PDA

View Full Version : a little help please - Andrew Lang et al

markize
10-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Andrew,

hello again. i have a Soriano bat ebay auction i was hoping you could look at if possible. in fact, there are 2 seperate auctions.

the first bat is a LS M9 genuine M356. the sellers description has it listed as 2007, but i think it's just a typo. my 1st problem is the total lack of handle tape. i have never seen a soriano bat without it - even batting practice bats. next is his number (#12) written on the barrel end. it is very thick, and almost looks to be something under the 12, but not production info. i know we have talked about the M9's before, and you have some, so what do you think. i emailed the seller, and this was his response:

"Hello
There is no COA but I can tell you that a very good friend works fo the Nationals and all my Baseball stuff comes directly from the room. I have had a number of them over the years and most have tape but others I have had do not.

Thanks"

here is the link for the first one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alfonso-Soriano-Nationals-game-used-bat_W0QQitemZ300264657025QQihZ020QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the second ebay auction is for a 2008 soriano sam bat. there were a few things that stood out to me on this one. first is, i have seen a few bats have a tight tape job on the handle, but never like this. i looked at all my sori bats, and none were this tight. next is the lack of pine tar. the bat looks well used so i would expect much more pine tar. finally is the number 38 on the barrel end with the production info. i have a 2007, and 2008 soriano bat, and there is no #38 on either. as carlos zambranos jersey is 38, is it possible he used it? if not, why would that be on soriano's bat? not to mention the bat looks too heavily used to have been zambrano's bat. i contacted the seller, but can't find the email he sent me. he did assure me it was real. here is the link for the second bat:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alfonso-Soriano-Game-Used-Bat-Chicago-Cubs-With-COA_W0QQitemZ130258697543QQihZ003QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

as always, thanks for your help. your insight is greatly appreciated.

mark

nationals2k9
10-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi Mark,

I'm by no means an expert, but actually do work for the Nats and met Andrew today. The guy selling the first bat emailed with me this morning about the Jimmy Rollins bat he has for sale. I asked why no tape and how he got it, and he said he's got a friend that works in the Mets clubhouse. Nothing about the Nats. Asked me what I do and then wondered if I could get him anything. He seemed to change his tone between the 1st and 3rd/4th correspondence.

I also mentioned to him some things I learned about Manny bats over the past several weeks and didn't get a reponse. Aside from spelling "Ramirez" incorrectly (which is odd when asking for $499 of someone's money)... the bat isn't the Nike bat Manny's been swining lately, has little pine tar, ball marks are opposite the label. Although again I'm no expert, I'd just say to execute caution. This guy also said he just got another Howard, Utley, Wright, Reyes, Chipper, etc in today... seems a little too easy and too goiod to be true!

Hope I'm not butting in!

Thanks, Mike

markize
10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi Mark,

I'm by no means an expert, but actually do work for the Nats and met Andrew today. The guy selling the first bat emailed with me this morning about the Jimmy Rollins bat he has for sale. I asked why no tape and how he got it, and he said he's got a friend that works in the Mets clubhouse. Nothing about the Nats. Asked me what I do and then wondered if I could get him anything. He seemed to change his tone between the 1st and 3rd/4th correspondence.

I also mentioned to him some things I learned about Manny bats over the past several weeks and didn't get a reponse. Aside from spelling "Ramirez" incorrectly (which is odd when asking for $499 of someone's money)... the bat isn't the Nike bat Manny's been swining lately, has little pine tar, ball marks are opposite the label. Although again I'm no expert, I'd just say to execute caution. This guy also said he just got another Howard, Utley, Wright, Reyes, Chipper, etc in today... seems a little too easy and too goiod to be true!

Hope I'm not butting in!

Thanks, Mike

mike, first let me say, you were by no means butting in. i just put A.L.'s name in the post because he has helped me a few times in the past on soriano stuff. i welcome help from ANYONE! in fact your post is just as helpful. its interesting the seller has a "friend" with the nationals when it comes to a soriano bat, but not when he talked to another nationals employee. i know nothing about manny bats, but the fact that the story is similar about a friend with the team on items that are missing key characteristics, is strange to me. thanks for your help. mark

AstrosCollector
10-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey Mark-

I have a very nice 2007 Soriano Cubs gamer if you are interested in one. It has the right tape on it with LOA from the Cubs.

allstarsplus
10-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Andrew,

hello again. i have a Soriano bat ebay auction i was hoping you could look at if possible. in fact, there are 2 seperate auctions.

the first bat is a LS M9 genuine M356. the sellers description has it listed as 2007, but i think it's just a typo. my 1st problem is the total lack of handle tape. i have never seen a soriano bat without it - even batting practice bats. next is his number (#12) written on the barrel end. it is very thick, and almost looks to be something under the 12, but not production info. i know we have talked about the M9's before, and you have some, so what do you think. i emailed the seller, and this was his response:

"Hello
There is no COA but I can tell you that a very good friend works fo the Nationals and all my Baseball stuff comes directly from the room. I have had a number of them over the years and most have tape but others I have had do not.

Thanks"

here is the link for the first one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alfonso-Soriano-Nationals-game-used-bat_W0QQitemZ300264657025QQihZ020QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the second ebay auction is for a 2008 soriano sam bat. there were a few things that stood out to me on this one. first is, i have seen a few bats have a tight tape job on the handle, but never like this. i looked at all my sori bats, and none were this tight. next is the lack of pine tar. the bat looks well used so i would expect much more pine tar. finally is the number 38 on the barrel end with the production info. i have a 2007, and 2008 soriano bat, and there is no #38 on either. as carlos zambranos jersey is 38, is it possible he used it? if not, why would that be on soriano's bat? not to mention the bat looks too heavily used to have been zambrano's bat. i contacted the seller, but can't find the email he sent me. he did assure me it was real. here is the link for the second bat:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alfonso-Soriano-Game-Used-Bat-Chicago-Cubs-With-COA_W0QQitemZ130258697543QQihZ003QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

as always, thanks for your help. your insight is greatly appreciated.

markMark - Great job as I agree with all of your observations and would say these are both real game issued bats of Alfonso Soriano's that were used by others.

The Red Flag on the LS starts with the thick #12 on the knob and lack of tape job. I agree the #12 looks like it was written over another number. We have commented on other Soriano LS on the Forum so check previous discussions.

The SAM bat Red Flag definitely starts with that #38 on the end of the bat. Tape job doesn't look right as you pointed out and lack of thick pine tar is another issue.

Good analysis on both!!!

allstarsplus
10-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi Mark,

I'm by no means an expert, but actually do work for the Nats and met Andrew today. Thanks, Mike

I can vouch for Mike that he definitely works for the Washington Nationals as I was in his office yesterday!

Luckily with players like Alfonso Soriano, he has very distinctive traits with pine tar, tape and numbering as well as he is very consistent with the bats he has used in games which is over 99% has been with blonde SAM bats.

Often imitated never duplicated (well).

The bigger problem is the players that use a variety of bats and have few distinctive markings.

Also consider many of these real bats are from players and sent to the Minor Leagues so "real use" doesn't mean it was used by the player whose name appears etched on the barrell. ;)

markize
10-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Hey Mark-

I have a very nice 2007 Soriano Cubs gamer if you are interested in one. It has the right tape on it with LOA from the Cubs.

the tape is a good start.....can you send me a few pics, and price? send to: sirfuzzy@comcast.net

thanks.

mark

markize
10-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Mark - Great job as I agree with all of your observations and would say these are both real game issued bats of Alfonso Soriano's that were used by others.

The Red Flag on the LS starts with the thick #12 on the knob and lack of tape job. I agree the #12 looks like it was written over another number. We have commented on other Soriano LS on the Forum so check previous discussions.

The SAM bat Red Flag definitely starts with that #38 on the end of the bat. Tape job doesn't look right as you pointed out and lack of thick pine tar is another issue.

Good analysis on both!!!

andrew,

thanks for confirming my suspicions. as always, i appreciate your knowledge on soriano gamers, and willingness to share it with me.

mark

allstarsplus
10-09-2008, 07:43 PM
andrew,

thanks for confirming my suspicions. as always, i appreciate your knowledge on soriano gamers, and willingness to share it with me.

mark

Mark - You did great and didn't miss a thing!!!

AstrosCollector
10-09-2008, 08:27 PM
the tape is a good start.....can you send me a few pics, and price? send to: sirfuzzy@comcast.net

thanks.

mark

Here are a couple quick shots, just let me know if you are interested and we can discuss.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/astrosbats/soriano/sori2.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/astrosbats/soriano/sori1.jpg

markize
10-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Here are a couple quick shots, just let me know if you are interested and we can discuss.

yes, i am always interested if the price is right! :D can you describe the use? how many ink transfers, seam impressions? i can't see much from the pics you posted. is it cracked/uncracked? also, can you post/send me pics of the back/left barrel? what is the production info? ok, thanks for the extra info.

mark

allstarsplus
10-10-2008, 09:06 PM

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/astrosbats/soriano/sori2.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/astrosbats/soriano/sori1.jpg

Nice bat. Is that new tape at the end of the tape job?